Arc Echo/Phasing

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Hey y’all,

I wanted to see if others maybe had this issue and had some fixes. My ARC (setup with 2 subs and 2 play 1s as surround speakers), occasionally has kind of an echo/phasing effect.

I notice it most often when watching Last Week Tonight (which is in Dolby 2.0), where partway through most episodes, it will start to sound like Jon is a football stadium announcer with the audio instead of being from the front speakers, starts to also have a slight echo in the surround speakers.

Recently, however, it has done it on music playback from my computer library (I have the surrounds setup on Ambient), where the echo effect happens again.

With HBO (native app to my Vizio TV), I can just stop the show and restart it. With the music, that didn’t work, so I restarted the speakers.

But I can’t figure out what might happening, or if there’s likely a specific hardware issue that might be causing the issue.

Any thoughts you all have would be appreciated. Thanks!

7 replies

Not had this issue on either of the Arcs in my home, although I don’t have pairs of Subs hooked to each of them.

I’d recommend that you submit a system diagnostic within 10 minutes of experiencing this problem, and call Sonos Support to discuss it. If there’s a hardware issue, it likely would be picked up there, and none of us on these forums have access to the diagnostic data (well, except for forum moderators). 

There may be information included in the diagnostic that will help Sonos pinpoint the issue and help you find a solution.

When you speak directly to the phone folks, they have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your Sonos system and network.

Just wanted to add that I am also experiencing this lately with a very similar setup (Arc, Gen2 sub, two One SL speakers as surrounds). All audio will sound like the ‘Stadium’ effect from an AV receiver and the only fix is to hard power cycle the Arc. Will be getting a case open with Sonos but glad to see I’m not the only one experiencing this.

I’ve recently had this issue as well (same setup), with Last Week Tonight and Bill Maher, both on HBO Max app using Apple TV 4K.  I thought it was the app, but apparently the latest update that was rolled out has been causing some issues and I *think* it’s related.  I’m also experiencing the sub/surrounds dropping too :-(

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Thanks y’all. It’s reassuring to hear a few others have had it too. Hopefully with some diagnostics, it’ll be something Sonos can get a quick fix too.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

If others who are having this issue will share as they find out things from their cases, that would be super helpful.

I have a case now, as last night it did the echoing on a 5.1 signal for the first time. Typical Sonos support where they want me to disconnect the surrounds, reconnect, etc. so going to have to play around and see when it recurs.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Never mind, reading that other thread linked, looks like everyone has tried pretty much everything and are just waiting on Sonos to fix. I will continue to submit diagnostics.

Just make sure you either post those diagnostic numbers in that thread, or call in and give them to the Sonos support folks. As explained in the Diagnostics - How do they work? thread, they’re not automatically looked at.