Apple TV 4K and Sonos One

• 14 November 2020
  • 13 replies

Ok, I am running the current version of Apple’s osTV on an Apple TV4K.  I’ve been apple to connect my Sonos One to earlier versions of osTV with only minor annoyances (need to reconnect all the time).  Apple has recently update the Apple TV 4K and I can no longer connect to Sonos One via Airplay 2.  I have two other Apple TV, one with an earlier release of osTV and I can still connect to my Sonos One.  I can also connect to my Sonos One via my iMac (MacOS Big Sur) and my iPhone/iPad (running the latest releases of iOS.  I’ve reported this to Apple Beta Feedback Assistant but have not received a reply.  I am not sure if this is a Sonos Issue or an Apple issue but wanted to post this to see what feedback I can get from Sonos.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

13 replies

I’m having the same issues! I have 3 sonos one speakers and I have an Apple TV 4K and with the update we can’t log in anymore... 

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi folks, thank you for sharing your concern with us. Let me check what I can do to help you out.

@Racecar87,  we’d appreciate it if you can provide us more details about your concern for us to check.

@millewg, welcome to the Sonos community. You can stream via AirPlay 2 on iOS devices like iPhone, iPad, or Mac to stream your favorite music, movies, podcasts, and other audio directly to your Sonos products. I’m glad that using your iPhone and iMac, you were able to stream via AirPlay2 with your Sonos One. 

In this concern, you have identified that only the Apple 4K TV is having the issue to connect.

Have you tried rebooting your Apple TV? 
How about disconnecting and reconnecting the HDMI cable?
Inspect the HDMI cable to ensure it’s not bent or kinked and check to see that it’s fully inserted into both devices.

I appreciate you for letting us know that you also reported this concern to Apple. Please let us know how it goes and if you’re still having issues, please feel free to reach out. We are always here to help.

Beta releases are per se unstable OS versions, and Sonos does not support them since they are subject to constant development. Either revert to the current production version or wait patiently until the programming error has been fixed.

Ok, some clarifications…  1) I recognize the risk of using beta releases but up until the last two I was NOT having a problem.  This may yet be a beta issue but I just applied the latest supported release of TVOS and the problem still existed. I wrote this to see if others were having a problem.   2)  I continued to research this issue and found this link on apple support.  https://support.apple.com/en-in/guide/tv/atvb50fb1c50/tvos.  In this link, there is a section entitled “Control audio on multiple AirPlay 2–enabled devices”.  Using their recommendation, i am able to access my Sonos speakers.  I was surprised this option was available and worked.  This is a satisfactory solution for now but the recommended approach (setting => video and audio => audio / default audio output) does NOT work and still seems to be an issue.

We have the same issue over the last several days. We have a 4K Apple TV and its stopped linking to SONOS (Move, playbar and 2 play 1’s).

We have another 1080 Apple TV and thats working fine.

Ive even reset all sonos and reset Apple 4K TV and its not working.; Defo some update???

If it’s working on the non 4K Apple TV, that certainly suggests it isn’t an issue with the Sonos. Have you contacted Apple?

OK, to be clear, there is a solution to this problem and I included it in my post from 11/16 and am reposting here.  This does work and I can connect my Apple TV 4k to my Sonos One speaker.

I found this link on apple support.  https://support.apple.com/en-in/guide/tv/atvb50fb1c50/tvos.  In this link, there is a section entitled “Control audio on multiple AirPlay 2–enabled devices”.  Using their recommendation, I can access my Sonos speakers.  I was surprised this option was available and worked. 

OK - Found the link to Apple Support - Letting the Apple TV select the Sonos with AirPlay - cut out the iPhone app and AirPlay.

PS:  I did not see this as a path on your (SONOS) website.  I have frustrated for about a week trying to get the Apple TV / iPhone App / Sonos app to all play in the same sandbox. 

Giving that a try.

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @MackH, thank you for reaching out to the Sonos community and we appreciate you for letting us know about your concern. Let me help you with this.

You can stream via AirPlay 2 on iOS devices like iPhone, iPad, or Mac to stream your favorite music, movies, podcasts, and other audio directly to your Sonos products. You may check out the following articles for your reference.

Stream AirPlay audio to Sonos
​Listen to podcasts on Sonos
Use Siri to control Sonos speakers
Music service direct control on Sonos

Hope this helps. If you have any questions about this, feel free to reach out. We and the community are always here to help.

Sonos

Love the speaker.

AirPlay2 to my Apple TV is not stable.  When I change channels on YouTube TV -- the sound is often out of sync.

How do you get the Video from the AppleTV and the AirPlay2 Sound to be in sync?  Is this your problem or Apple’s?  I can post on their forum too. 

BTW - Thanks for the earlier reply.  I have used some of the links.  Thanks

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

HI @MackH, thank you for your response and for updating us. We also appreciate your feedback on your Sonos products. The streaming is via AirPlay2 to your Apple TV, this could be the communication of your devices to the network. Or could be a setting that you need to check on your Apple TV.

Let me suggest the following steps if it will work for you.

1. Disconnect the HDMI cable from your TV and Apple TV.
  2. Unplug your TV and Apple TV from the power and wait 30 seconds before your plug it back in.
  3. Reconnect the HDMI cable to your TV and Apple TV.
  4. Turn off and on your iOS devices to refresh the connection.

I found this thread on audio sync with Apple TV that might help you. If you’re still getting audio delay, I would recommend reaching out to Apple support for further assistance. If you need help with any other information, please be sure to let us know.

OK, to be clear, there is a solution to this problem and I included it in my post from 11/16 and am reposting here.  This does work and I can connect my Apple TV 4k to my Sonos One speaker.

I found this link on apple support.  https://support.apple.com/en-in/guide/tv/atvb50fb1c50/tvos.  In this link, there is a section entitled “Control audio on multiple AirPlay 2–enabled devices”.  Using their recommendation, I can access my Sonos speakers.  I was surprised this option was available and worked. 

Thanks for the re-post - I just got new Apple TV and had exact same issues as everyone else.. This works. Hallelujah. Still not sure why the Apple TV won’t “recognize” my Sonos 1 and let me choose it as my default speaker…. anyone else know?

Thanks for the re-post - I just got new Apple TV and had exact same issues as everyone else.. This works. Hallelujah. Still not sure why the Apple TV won’t “recognize” my Sonos 1 and let me choose it as my default speaker…. anyone ideas? PS I am using older HMDI cable to connect Apple TV to my TV (and my TV is older - could any of this be in play?)