Question

Apple Music - This item is no longer available

Badge
  • Enthusiast
  • 18 replies
Hi, in last few days I'v encounter this strange behavior. Most of the music I playmis from Apple Music. The problem is that Ican't play everything now. For example Apple Music playlist U2 essential - when I wanna play it from Sonos, it says (with all songs), that "This item is no longer available". However, wehn I play it direcly from Apple Music on mymiPad or iPhone, it plays with no problem. And it doesn't happen only with this playlist but with many other music. Any idea what to do?

21 replies

Same issue here. Lots of them suddenly popping up today along with connecting to Apple Music errors too.
Badge +1
Hi jakudo and Decdad,

When you are trying to access the music are you searching for these playlists or are they Playlists you have added to your own music? If you have not done so already, please delete the Sonos app from your devices and re-download it. Let me know if that helps.

If possible, please submit a diagnostic and let me know the confirmation number.
I have the same problem - my conf number is 7441539. Thx in advance.
Badge
I've searched the playlist. However, it happens also witch apple music radios, that some songs are skipped.
The playlist was on Apple Music, not added to my library. I've also deleted/reinstalled the app and deleted/added the Apple Music service.
Here is the confirmation number 7441810.
Badge
@rad3k and @jakudo

Welcome to the Community, rad3k.

I have tested songs on Apple Music that failed in both of your diagnostics (the U2 Essentials playlist and various Chained to the Rhythm remixes, for example) and was unable to replicate this on our side. The error that I'm seeing usually indicates that these were saved to your music, but then the server paths were changed or removed on Apple's side.

Can you both confirm that you are searching for the song/playlist, rather than playing from My Music in Apple Music? If you're going to My Music, try removing the song/playlist from My Music in the Apple Music native app, and then searching for them within the Sonos app. Also, can you try hardwiring one of your speakers to your router with an ethernet cable and then attempting to play the songs/playlists on just that speaker?

Feel free to submit a new diagnostic after following these steps and post the new number here so we can take another look.
I have the same problem. I have just tried to search for REM which I have not saved anywhere. Then I played "Losing My Religion" correctly and then interrupted it and started "Me In Honey" with the message mentioned in this topic. When I do it via Apple Music directly it works fine. The diagnostic is 7444471. Thanks. Ivo
I have the same problem. It looks that sonos controller thinks, that the song was removed from apple music.
Badge
I can confirm that the problem is with the music played from Apple Music, not from my library. Yesterday evening, it happened when I wanted to play Pure pop radio station and also Smooth Jazz radio station (I don't have any jazz music in my library).

I've hardwired the Sonos Play:1, deleted every U2 music from my library, so there is non of it at all and it still does the same. Right after I failed to play the playlist (U2 Essential), I've submitted the diagnostic - 7446674.

I've made 2 videos showing what happens when I play Apple Music radio stations (music I don't have in my library). And I would say that it getting worse every day... :( (it doesn't happen only with radio or playlist, but also with albums song, etc.
I've submitted another diagnostic right after the youtube videos - 7446717
https://youtu.be/at8OSv0EwtU
https://youtu.be/7Kv659tjjtc

EDIT: here is also my speed test, to show you that my internet is ok.

EDIT2: Tried to play Losing mMy Religion (as @ivop mentioned). When I searched for it, it found 2 song - one from album "Part Lies, Part Heart, Part Truth..." - that worked, and one on album "In Time: The best of R.E.M. 1988-2003" - this one failed
Badge
Not sure what happened, however, it seems it works now with no problem:)
Strange. It seems to be better but not solved. Some songs which have been no longer available are back. But I cannot still find for example Pulp album Different Class (diagnostics 7453685). On Apple Music it is OK of course :(
Badge
@jakudo, @ivop, @Adm001, @rad3k

Thanks for keeping us posted on this. I'd like to see if there's anything that connects these symptoms. Please start by rebooting your router, then rebooting each of your Sonos speakers. Try to play from Apple Music, and submit a new diagnostic within 5 minutes if you get the error again. Reply with your:

* Diagnostic confirmation number
* Internet Service Provider (ISP)
* Router make/model
* Router's DNS server
* Song or songs that you got the error from
Badge
Ok, it is back again
- diagnostic number 7471105
- ISP Klfree.net (czech republic)
- router Ubiquit Nano M5 + Apple Time Capsule
- DNS 10.102.0.252 and 10.102.0.253
- don't know the song - player Apple Charting Now station and it just skipped some song and showed the message Item is no longer available
Badge
jakudo wrote:

Ok, it is back again

I suspect this may be DNS related, but a few things in your diagnostic stand out to me. First, one speaker (Living Room left) is connected to your Time Capsule on channel 1, and the other two speakers are connected to your TP-Link access point on channel 9. This is different than your first diagnostic, where Sonos was connected to just the TP-Link. Second, the groupcast messages that Sonos uses to communicate are failing to be sent between the two access points.

Can you try switching from a Standard to BOOST setup to see if this resolves the issue with Apple Music still occurs? Here's how:

Switching your system between a Standard and BOOST Setup

If you continue to get the "Item is no longer available" error, try changing your DNS to either OpenDNS or Google DNS. You will need to reboot the Sonos speakers and then try playing again. Submit a new diagnostic if the problem recurs with the new DNS servers and post the number when you get a chance.
Badge
@Atom P - thanks for advice. However, Since I report it the last time, the problem didn't occur. So I'm happy it works now well:)

I've always uses 2 access points (need to cover both house nad garden with wi-fi), so it might happen that some of the speakers are connected to one AP and another speaker to different AP. However, it works well now, so no problem.
It is a bit difficult for me to set up the BOOST setup since none of the speakers is close to the router. However, if the problem occur again, I'll move one of them next to the router and try to do that.

Now, after the last update this week, I have a different problem, but I started new thread not to mix the two different questions.

Thanks for all advices :)
I'm sorry not responding to the thread so long but it's not the problem disappeared but I have no time :( The problem still remains. I have tried to reset all (router, switch, APs). I also tries to reconfigure my Sonos. But it doesn't make sense the cause is network related. The network cannot filter some content! When I try to search some songs I never played before the result is seems ok on Apple Music App, but when searching via Sonos the number of results is very limited, if any. It seems to me Apple has changed API and there is not propriet update in Sonos App. That's my impression.
Userlevel 5
Badge +3
ivop wrote:

I'm sorry not responding to the thread so long but it's not the problem disappeared but I have no time :( The problem still remains. I have tried to reset all (router, switch, APs). I also tries to reconfigure my Sonos. But it doesn't make sense the cause is network related. The network cannot filter some content! When I try to search some songs I never played before the result is seems ok on Apple Music App, but when searching via Sonos the number of results is very limited, if any. It seems to me Apple has changed API and there is not propriet update in Sonos App. That's my impression.

Submit a diagnostic and work with Sonos tech support.

If there were a generalised Apple Music issue don't you think these boards would be jammed with people complaining?

It is virtually certain to be a problem/issue with your set-up
Badge
@ivop where are you from (country)?
@Stuart_W well, I have to agree with ivop. In my opinion, the probles is with the wrong use of Apple Music API or something simillar. I'm already in discusion with Sonos support, however, still haven't found solution. The problem with search function appeared after the last update of sonos. I didn't change anything in my home network in last few years, connected the sonos speakers not only in home, but also in office (different ISP) and still no luck. So I would say that there is wrong use of API and there kight be some changes in Apple Music because Apple changed the Apple Music lately in Czech Republic (prices in CZK, not EUR, advertising Czech music etc). So yes, Sonos should take a look at it. I don't expect that many people in Czech uses Sonos with Apple Music. So not so many can complain in here...
Yes, exactly. But I cannot help myself :) I have tried to search for Enya first on Sonos. I received 2 albums from completely different artist. Then I tried the same vie Apple Music and receiver expected albums. I have never searched for Enya before form both iPhone and Sons. The diagnostic number is 7617655. Thank you a lot.
Yes, I'm from the Czech Republic. @Stuart_W do you have any findings from my diagnostic post? Thank you.
Badge
Ok, there might be some problem with integration of Apple Music to Sonos in Czech Republic. There have been some changes in iTunes/App Store/Apple Music in Czech lately, so it might be it.
Userlevel 5
Badge +3
Only Sonos can view the details in your diagnostics I'm afraid.

• :D
    • :?
    • :cool:
    • :S
    • :(
    • :@
    • :$
    • :8
    • :)
    • :P
    • ;)