Question

Apple Music stuttering on Sonos Playbar 5.1 Setup

I am experiencing some issues with my Playbar 5.1 Setup (Playbar, Sub, 2x Play:1) on Apple Music streaming. I get stuttering on manually starting to play songs. The issue is not present if I a full playlist is running from one to the next song. Only if I manually start a new song the first seconds are stuttering and it looks like the sounds is jumping between the speakers in the room.

As I experienced the issue with the existing Sonos Boost Setup and I thought it is maybe due to the STP issue with the Unifi system I switched my setup away from SonosNet Boost Setup to a Wifi Setup on Unifi System. I have very good Wifi coverage in this room and the problem only exists on Apple Music on the described constellation above. No issue with other streaming service or with Live TV.

Also in other rooms (Play:1, Play:1 Stereo or Play:3 Stereo) no issues at all.

2 Diagnostic Logs here:

790420427 Apple Music

381325991 Amazon Music

Please help me to resolve the issue - thank you,

BR

Chris

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

12 replies

I’m having the same issue with my 5.1 playbar + :1 + sub setup! It was fine for the longest time and all of a sudden the issue started. I’ve tried changing wifi channel, moving the speakers to the router’s wifi directly ..etc. Nothing had helped. It seems that only the 5.1 setup has issue, the single :5 speaker has no problem playing the same music source.

Also - it seems turning off TruePlay helps significantly in the 5.1 setup but does not completely eliminate the issue

diagnostic # 1485764304

I have same issue. Only Apple Music. 1st 5-10 seconds only . Music comes out of 1 speaker the. Then the other then gets in sync. Doesn’t happen using other music sources

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

I have the same problem.

After suggesting various things to fix it (Which didn’t work) Sonos support told me that this is a known issue & they are working on a fix.

@markwills  - did Sonos said it’s just a bug just for Apple Music or in general with surround setup?

I just realized even Sonos Radio is glitching for me every now and then as well

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

They said it was a known issue with Apple Music. Works fine for me with Spotify or amazon music.

Ive not tried Sonos radio though

Exactly the same issue for me too. Amazon fine, only Apple Music affected and only the first few seconds of first song and only on my 5.1 setup! My other individual speakers in other rooms are fine. And it definitely didn’t use to do it! Hopefully they’ll resolve in an update soon.

Same problem here with Playbar + Sub + Play:1s for surround. It started happening a couple of weeks back. It drove me completely nuts. At first, I thought it was a latency issue within my network, which led me to reset and reconfigure nearly everything in my network, and then when I realized it was likely a Sonos thing, I completely reconfigured all of my Sonos components as if I were starting them from scratch, which didn’t help. Finally, I search on it and found this thread. I wish I had searched sooner to see that this is a Sonos problem with Apple Music that others are having. I’m relieved to see that, but I’m still not very happy about this. It’s just unfathomable how such a problem could have made it to release. I’m a software developer, and there is really no excuse for not having all new releases put through QA testing for such a common configuration. I hope they get a fix out to us ASAP.

It seems the same happens to more than just apple music, possibly a systemic issue with the latest Sonos update.

Amazon still works without any issue, however another service I just tried - idagio , has the exact same symptoms as iTunes (Diag#1937839318), always skipping at the beginning of any song and randomly stutters after playing for a little while. I think this is a systemic issue rather than a service-specific issue.

I’m having same problem was just about to start changing channels on my router then found this does anyone know if Sonos are looking into sorting this same as above only just found this happening a few weeks ago it’s driving me potty ☹️

Having same issue -- just noticed.  5.1 setup.  Happens on Apple music and Pandora but not streaming from home system.

Any update on fix?

Same issues with Apple Music. Support was no help. S1 network. Any word on updates?

An hour with support staff and basically my existing setup will not work - despite it working before. I needed to wire one of my 5.1 systems directly to sonosnet which requires additional hardware.

As your Sonos and wireless network grows and the music bandwidth grows, we’re bumping against the physical limits of the Sonos architecture.