AP Restart, Sonos not reconnecting

• 18 October 2021
  • 7 replies

Similar to this post, when I restart my wifi access point (AP), none of my Sonos speakers automatically reconnect. Basically no rooms show up in the app. I need to pull the power on each one, plug it back in, and then it comes back online. 

Submitted diagnostics: 1682414447

Network info: Unifi USG, Unifi APs. I found that the issue was much worse when my Sonos devices were set up on my main wifi network (that spans multiple APs on a single SSID), constantly cutting out. Now that I’ve moved them to an SSID that sits on a single AP, it only drops without recovering like this when that AP does it’s routine updates/restarts. 

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

Plainly it’s related to your network/AP configuration. Straightforward networks/APs don’t do this.

I suggest you open up any restrictions you may have on the Unifi, including on multicast traffic, and see if it helps.

Plainly it’s related to your network/AP configuration. Straightforward networks/APs don’t do this.

I suggest you open up any restrictions you may have on the Unifi, including on multicast traffic, and see if it helps.

You are so quick to blame my network. No other devices on my network from any other vendor do this - including Asus wifi cards, TP Link iot devices, Apple devices, Echo Dots, other IoT/Smart devices, and more. Only Sonos devices do this.

Multicast is enabled. Are there any other specific technical requirements that I may be missing that may be causing this?

Interestingly enough, the devices are showing up in my client list with APIPA (169.254.x.x) addresses after the restart, as opposed to 192.168 addresses.

Anyways, I have submitted diagnostics via the app (1682414447) so hopefully I can get some technical feedback.

May have figured it out (and yes @ratty it was my network!)

Unifi introduced a setting for WiFi networks, “Optimize IoT WiFi Connectivity”, which defaulted to “on” with the update”. It essentially overrides the DTIM interval to 1, which I guess is too fast for the Sonos devices. Disabling this setting and setting DTIM interval to 3 seems to have mitigated my issue.

Routers/APs I’ve used successfully with Sonos default to DTIM = 1 (with beacon interval of 100ms). Maybe there’s something else about the “Optimise IoT...” setting which affects things adversely.

Interesting. Well, I have done a few AP reboots now and things seem to be fine. If it happens again I’ll fiddle with dhcp and cry myself to sleep. 

Or maybe I’ll just have to write a script that periodically forces a reconnect on devices with 169 addresses :(

The units have a fast then slow poll for DHCP. They should only revert to AutoIP if they can’t find a network, and therefore mesh together as an island using SonosNet.