Anyway to get YouTube on Sonos

• 8 January 2013
  • 18 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +4
If there anyway to be able to play/stream music from YouTube though Sonos, either from the internet connection or computer connected to Sonos.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

18 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +4
Not sure if I am allowed to post this, but I found a app in the app store that let you play YouTube through your Sonos using an iPad or iPhone. The app is called Sonos Tube and there is a $4.99 for basic service but don't know what you get with that as I have not been able to try it yet as my Sonos system is connect to a none wifi router and don't know how to get it work this way.

Admin if I am not allowed to post something like this, my apologies and by all means remove it.
Badge
I plan to buy a DLNA compatible tablet/TV combo and run run youtube on tablet, sent to TV via DLNA, connected to Playbar. Most new Tvs are DLNA compatible but it requires you to have the playbar of course..
Userlevel 2
I have a Play 5 standing with an Airport Express hooked up in Line in.
If you use an Ipad or Iphone would that be number 1 i guess.
Userlevel 1
Badge
I use my xbox 360 for youtube and I've got the playbar for my tv, then obviously you can connect other play 5's/3's to the playbar. Hey presto, all my youtube playlists playing on my Sonos system.Love it.
It is possible with Apple phone/gadget and recently Sonos is update makes it a non issue, but we still have a problem with Android device YouTube. I can use airport express for Apple stream in any case through the line in of Sonos. Somehow need to get Nexus to stream Youtube through Apple product to Sonos. Any clever solutions out there else i'll just use IPhone - YouTube direct. cheers:-)

One option is a bluetooth receiver connected to the line-in of a Sonos player.

Cheers,

Keith
Userlevel 2
Badge
It is possible with Apple phone/gadget and recently Sonos is update makes it a non issue, but we still have a problem with Android device YouTube. I can use airport express for Apple stream in any case through the line in of Sonos. Somehow need to get Nexus to stream Youtube through Apple product to Sonos. Any clever solutions out there else i'll just use IPhone - YouTube direct. cheers:-)
I stupidly assumed that because I had a fast and stable broadband connection and never had any issues with other devices that run on Wi-Fi, I would be ok with Sonos as well.
It's not comparing apples with apples. Neither broadband speed nor WiFi Internet performance have relevance to the Sonos Line-In requirements for low latency local streaming. Devices streaming off the Internet would demand much less bandwidth than Sonos Line-In, plus they'd include substantial buffering to allow for intermittent transmission delays.

If Line-In is your only problem with Sonos, try setting the compression to Compressed. (The default Auto setting should apply compression automatically if network conditions require it.)
Userlevel 2
I'm sure the Sonos tin never said "will defy the laws of physics". Depending on range and local interference the congested 2.4GHz band can sometimes make life difficult for any wireless.

Personally I don't think that Sonos's marketing material carries sufficient warnings that full functionality can only be achieved in some environments. Remember, most of us are not experts in wireless set-ups and therefore not aware of all the risks before we buy. I stupidly assumed that because I had a fast and stable broadband connection and never had any issues with other devices that run on Wi-Fi, I would be ok with Sonos as well.

£650 and many hours of frustrating fiddling later, I now know where I stand. I do love the Sonos when it works, but I'm under no illusion that it will ever work more than 90% of the time or that I will ever be able to use all of the features (e.g. streaming the line-in input). Such is life.
I'm just going to give it a rest now and accept that it's never going to do 100% of what it says on the tin.
I'm sure the Sonos tin never said "will defy the laws of physics". Depending on range and local interference the congested 2.4GHz band can sometimes make life difficult for any wireless.
Userlevel 2
Veering off-topic here, but if you've not sent Sonos Support a diagnostic shortly after a dropout you should do so. The diagnostic should indicate what's wrong.

I have, more than once, and none of their suggestions have made any difference.

As I said, I can't be bothered to spend any more hours trying to fix it in the foreseeable future. I'm ok to live with it for now, and maybe if I have a lot of spare time one day I'll launch another attempt...

I had A LOT more issues with the Sonos when I first bought it, which I've mostly managed to resolve through lots of painstaking investigation, phone calls to support etc. Since I have another full-time job and actually wanted to buy the Sonos as a music listening device rather than an IT project, I'm just going to give it a rest now and accept that it's never going to do 100% of what it says on the tin.
line-in and wireless streaming don't go together.
They do, but uncompressed Line-In places the highest demands on the network due to a combination of bandwidth and the need to keep delay to a minimum.

Veering off-topic here, but if you've not sent Sonos Support a diagnostic shortly after a dropout you should do so. The diagnostic should indicate what's wrong.
Userlevel 2
Not really. The one ZP connected to the computer is only the input. The audio can be streamed to any of the connected zones; try that with a regular speaker. ;)

If that works for you you're a very lucky man. My wireless units almost always cut out when I'm trying to stream a line-in input (they work fine with other audio sources - I understand it's to do with the difference in bandwith usage).

And yes, I've been through this several times with Sonos support, looked at all the threads on here and tried lots of solutions. At the moment I'm suffering from a bit of solution fatigue, since I occasionally have other things to do in my life than trying to get my Sonos to work, so I've decided to make peace with the fact that line-in and wireless streaming don't go together.
Userlevel 1
It's too bad the bridge does not have a line in.
Userlevel 2

Your laptop is using your Wi-Fi to play music through YouTube, and the Sonos is acting as nothing more than a speaker.

Not really. The one ZP connected to the computer is only the input. The audio can be streamed to any of the connected zones; try that with a regular speaker. 😉
Userlevel 2
Using the line-in does work, but you could do the same thing with any old stereo system or speaker dock that has a line-in connection. It's certainly not using any of the Sonos's special streaming capabilities.

Your laptop is using your Wi-Fi to play music through YouTube, and the Sonos is acting as nothing more than a speaker.

Given that YouTube is fast becoming the most extensive and complete music library on the web, albeit with diminished sound quality compared to Spotify or Napster, I would love to see Sonos properly incorporating YouTube as a source so I can include tracks in my Sonos playlists.
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
Did the computer trick at my daughters 18 years birthday.
Neverthe less we have + 40.000 tracks, but youtube rocked the party:p
line out from computer audio card into a Sonos Connect.

Or... convert youtube video into an mp3