Anyone got the new Virgin Hub 5 ?

• 18 February 2022
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

I currently have the hub3 anad have received an email from Virgin saying I can upgrade to the Hub 5 for free. 

I had issues when I upgraded to the hub3 because I had multiple wired speakers and the Hub3 wouldn’t play ball so I’m a bit concerned that the new hub might have different issues with Sonos.

I’d be interested to hear if anyone has this new hub and if you had any problems.

Thanks

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

FWIW the Hub3 was an issue if multiple Sonos units were wired across it, as it blocked STP traffic. One could always connect the Sonos devices to a switch, wired to a single port on the hub.

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

I solved the hub3 issue by just having one wired and the rest wireless and it’s worked fine for the last couple of years :)

Just trying to find out if there’s any known issues with the hub5. 

Badge

Just received the new Hub 5, but as I had loads of trouble with the hub 3, I’m going to leave it in its box until any potential problems have been ironed out. 
I solved all my previous issues by putting the hub 3 into modem mode and connecting an ASUS router to it. Its been running perfectly for the past 2 years, hence the reluctance to switch to the Hub 5. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

As far as I can tell by reading on the Virgin forums, if you use the Hub5 in modem mode, you shouldn’t have any problems.

The people who are having issues with their Hub5 are being advised by other users to switch to modem mode.

I decided not to “upgrade” to the Hub5 yet because I don’t have my own router and so don’t have the option of running in modem mode. I might get a router but want to make sure that anything I buy is compatible with running Sonos :)

Badge

Hi John, thanks for your reply, sorry for my late response as I’ve only just discovered it went to my junk mail. 
it turns out that virgin media actually sent me the Hub 4. 
I separated the two channels 2.4Ghz & 5Ghz and so far, a week down the line I’ve not yet had any problems (fingers crossed)

I had loads of problems with the Hub 3, but when I put it in modem mode and hooked it up to an ASUS Router a rock solid system for the last 2 years  

Badge

As far as I can tell by reading on the Virgin forums, if you use the Hub5 in modem mode, you shouldn’t have any problems.

The people who are having issues with their Hub5 are being advised by other users to switch to modem mode.

I decided not to “upgrade” to the Hub5 yet because I don’t have my own router and so don’t have the option of running in modem mode. I might get a router but want to make sure that anything I buy is compatible with running Sonos :)

FYI I used an ASUS router as it was recommended by a Sonos tech guy who was looking into the problems I was having with the Virgin Hub 3. 
I can confirm it was a quality piece of kit and didn’t have any problems, would definitely recommend. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

Many thanks for the replies :-)