Answered

Anyone else experiencing a crazy amount of glitches?

• 16 September 2021
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

I’ve recently moved apartments, so I can’t rule out a myriad of variables. But: wow. My system has gone absolutely haywire recently. Components simply disappear for no clear reason (my paired One SLs, but also my Roam, just completely drop-out of sight). Airplay has essentially stopped working without a crazy amount of hiccuping. The S2 app will fail to connect to a device that is clearly playing music. And, what convinced me to write this message: my Ones are playing music right now that is not in any queue and not controllable by either S2 or Apple Music. It’s like the things are haunted. I’m going to go for a factory reset on the Ones, but— just wondering whether there’s some kind of system-wide glitch happening right now (since I noticed that there’s an alert from Sonos concerning Google Assistant. Not that I use any voice controls, but still— this is all quite weird).

One of the risks, I guess, in investing in a fully-digital system. It either works—or it really really doesn’t.

icon

Best answer by GuitarSuperstar 16 September 2021, 23:03

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Userlevel 7

Do NOT do a factory reset. Unplug your speakers from power for a couple of minutes and reboot your router and phone.

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

Thanks for the warning. I’ll do that first. But: what’s the logic here?

Userlevel 7

This explains the logic pretty well:

“Unplugging something usually works because many consumer-tech devices, like cable modems, routers, and streaming TV boxes, have tiny computers inside them. Unplugging and plugging them back in forces those computers to restart and clear any temporary software problems.

The internal computers in those devices run built-in software (called firmware) that controls the behavior of the device. Sometimes, the firmware includes bugs that might lead to error states, memory leaks, or crashes. Restarting the device forces the internal computer to reboot, which clears out the device’s memory and forces it to reload and re-execute the software from scratch.”

https://www.howtogeek.com/683023/why-does-unplugging-a-device-fix-so-many-problems/

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

Also there’s this :)