Question

Annoying pop-up message in app (PC and phone) EVERY TIME

• 30 October 2020
  • 9 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

Hello Sonos.

You’ve done something that’s now annoying me, a lot.  Every time I open the desktop or phone app (from cold) I get the following:

Every time I click Cancel and subsequently every time the app is opened from cold i get this annoying message. 

If I wanted the latest version of the app and firmware then I’d have it.  If I were to update then I’d not be able to control my system due to you stopping supporting my hardware and OS, so if I update I would then have more limited functionality that at present, so it’s both annoying and wrong.

This annoying pop up has just recently appeared so I presume it’s triggered by my client connecting to your server, which recognises that my software and firmware is not the latest type.  There used to be a discrete message at the top of the app (occasionally) that went away with a single click, only to reappear very infrequently. That was annoying enough.

Please stop sending this check. It’s doing nothing to endear me to your system.  As it’s just started I presume you can stop this, just as easily, please!

To me, ‘Cancel’ means cancel, aka ‘Stop’. It does not mean I don’t want it but please present me with the same message and choice, (that I don’t want) each and every time in the future, forever.

I will not be updating my system in the foreseeable future so are you really telling me that I will get this desktop and app message every time they open, forever?

Looking forward to your reply...

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

9 replies

This is a user forum so you may or may get a reply from Sonos 

Which version of the software is the system on? Which version is the controller on?

In Settings, System, System Updates,  is 'Automatic Updates' enabled or disabled?

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

Auto updates are most definitely OFF, plus I take other measures to ensure the phone app cannot update.

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

Maybe I’ll just post this question every time I get the annoying pop up on a screen.  Perhaps then, Sonos will notice

Yes, good idea, that would be a very mature and constructive thing to do.

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

Haha. Well that’s basically what they are doing to me.

@User933635, What is ‘Settings → About my System’ telling you about the firmware version the speakers are running on?

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

@User933635, What is ‘Settings → About my System’ telling you about the firmware version the speakers are running on?

Answer above

You’ll have to live with the pop-up message then. Is there a reason why you don’t update to 11.2.3 (S1)?