Answered

Android S1 app crashing on a variety of search tabs.

• 25 September 2020
  • 54 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge

Hi,

Several of the search tabs in the S1 android app are causing the app to crash for me. In particular, Podcasts and Shows, Genres, Stations and perhaps a few others. Unaffected are Artists, Songs, and Albums. I can switch to the tab successfully, but when I start typing, the app unceremoniously closes. I’m on a Galaxy S9+. Anyone else experiencing this?

I tried clearing the cash as well as reinstalling the app to no avail.

Thanks,

Stuart

icon

Best answer by Earquake 15 October 2020, 18:48

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

54 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge

Latest : Android updated itself on the tablet, and the search in Sonos controller now works as expected - no crash… It would seem I was too quick to think the fault was with the controller…

//Derek

Seems to be fixed in an update I received today. Thanks, I think.

Yes, I downloaded the update and all is well again. Thanks Sonos

Userlevel 3
Badge

Seems to be fixed in an update I received today. Thanks, I think.

I’m actually quite shocked and saddened to read this thread.  Like the rest of you, I discovered I was unable to use basic app features like searching within the Genre tab.  What has really shocked me is that Sonos have allowed this bug to remain for over two months.  It’s the way it’s done though, that is really frustrating; silence….. zero communication.  

Will they fix it?  Are they even investigating?  Who knows.  I’m afraid to say this is a totally unacceptable situation.  Support / community / discussion - it’s all about the communication of information  - which is sadly lacking.  Shameful.   

Same issue with Redmi Note 7 & Galaxy A50 :sob:

Userlevel 3
Badge

Now I've noticed that when you browse ...

"on this device -> podcasts"

... the app crashes. I'm not sure the "on this device" feature even works anyways.

Is one of the stages of grief "begging", because I have nothing to bargain with. Can you please just fix this crashing problem? I'm not asking for new updates or new features, I just want it working the way it was the last few years. I understand you don't want to support the old speakers. I'm ready to be abandoned and have services slowly stop working, I just don't want it broken at the outset. It's like being put in a life raft without oars. I promise I'll move on to acceptance, I just want this one little thing. 

​​​​​​Why don't you just open source this stuff? Imagine what an engaged community could do with this.

Hi,

Several of the search tabs in the S1 android app are causing the app to crash for me. In particular, Podcasts and Shows, Genres, Stations and perhaps a few others. Unaffected are Artists, Songs, and Albums. I can switch to the tab successfully, but when I start typing, the app unceremoniously closes. I’m on a Galaxy S9+. Anyone else experiencing this?

I tried clearing the cash as well as reinstalling the app to no avail.

Thanks,

Stuart

Mine is doing the same on Samsung Galaxy S20 4G

Userlevel 3
Badge

To get around this, I realized I could use the windows app to search for radio stations. I then add the ones I want to try to my Sonos favorites, which then show up on the app. Definitely not ideal but it was impossible to find radio stations without search. 

For podcasts I use Pocketcasts, so I do my searches on that app and add them to my favorites within that service, they then show up on Sonos under my pocketcasts account.

It can't be that hard to fix this and have a quick release. The "new" Sonos app has been updated a bunch, lots of complaints on the app store about that one, so I guess that's more important to them. You'd think they'd take care of existing customers on the idea that these people are already in the ecosystem and more likely to expand. I'm glad I never pulled the trigger on the home theater setup.

I've been having the same issue for quite a while now - crashes on multiple search tabs for Genres, Podcasts, etc makes the app pretty useless. Sonos, we are still waiting for your response. Is this your strategy to force people off S1? Very sad. 

Userlevel 1
Badge

Same issue here. Can't search multiple categories without it immediately crashing. Have tried reinstalling, clearing cache, etc. 

I see that one user called out the fact that Sonos is working on a fix. However, it's pretty sad that Sonos support couldn't come back to this thread and acknowledge there is an issue and they they are working to address it. I understand bugs happen, however, there is no excuse for poor communication.

Same problem here. Feeling very aggrieved. Lot of money invested in Sonos kit, but now have the dreads that it is soon to be redundant. Why would anyone buy a Sonos now. I've only had 5 years out of my kit. The HIFI it replaced would still have been going strong, and would have had components that could be repaired.

I just chatted with sonos support - all they had to offer was “re-install the app”. 

Same issue with me.

As soon as I type one letter when searching in Stations or Genres, the app crashes.

I’m/we’re SOL, correct? (i.e. Sonos doesn’t care about S1 folk)

(If I “browse” either, it works)

App = Android S1 11.2.3, build 57381090

Phone = OnePlus 5T

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

All of the same issues with Galaxy S10+.  Plenty of memory, etc. Not a phone issue. Own a serious Gen 1 collection of Sonos. Not giving it up for their planned obsolescence! Fix it Sonos! 

That’s an acknowledged bug, Sonos is already working on a fix for the S1 app.

Any update on this Sonos? 

Same issue as above searching on tabs crashes the app.  Two different android phones. A samsung s10e and a pixel 2xl.

Same problem here. Using One Plus 7T pro. App crashes constantly, Spotify not working anymore. Fix this please...

+2 here, same problem on two Android phones.

Come on Sonos, I still have faith and get a lot of value from my S1 set up. I don't need new features, but don't introduce new bugs.

I'm experiencing the same issue recently on my pixel 3. Changed to a pixel 5, reinstalled the latest app on that and got the exact same problem. The issue is clearly not on my end. I hope this gets fixed soon. I shouldn't have to buy a new Sonos every 2 years. If that's what it takes I'll try my luck elsewhere and downgrade to one star

Userlevel 3
Badge

Sonos’ Speakers Can Now Work With General Electric’s Appliances https://www.ubergizmo.com/2020/10/sonos-speakers-work-with-general-electric/

At least now my speakers can tell me if my casserole is burning, still can't search for podcasts and radio stations though. Glad to see resources are being diverted to important stuff.

Badge +1

I think they're letting the S1 app degrade. I've got too many older bits in my set up (ranging in age from Zp80 to the Sonos Beam) to want to move to S2 just now. Get this fixed please? 

Mixcloud is showing an issue on the real time status webpage. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

I'm having "Song Not Encoded Correctly" issues now with Mixcloud on S1, all that I have played before without issue.

I thought S1 would be ideal, no more upgrades but they've managed to break what wasn't broken in the first place..

Userlevel 1

It strikes me that offering up the old version of the app would be an easy fix until you can sort out the problem that is generating an unfortunate amount of upset and generating negative reviews. 

All the current S1 app does is prove the planned obsolescence of some devices, advertise the new products and fail to instil confidence in continuing with the system at the same time.

Just give us the old app back, it will cost you nothing and keep everyone happy until you beta test S1 properly.

Could not agree more.  It is quite obvious that Sonos has no interest in supporting the old technology nor do they care about retaining customers, apparently making enough money of the new customers to worry about the old.

Surely a business model which will result in a less than positive outcome.

I will certainly no longer be buying sonos products nor telling others to.

Same issue in 2 separate android phones. 

When will this bug be fixed?