Android Google Play Music app -> Sonos disconnect problems return

• 7 November 2015
  • 14 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +7
  • Enthusiast II
  • 169 replies
My main way of playing music on Sonos is from the Android Google Play Music (GPM) app, 'casting' to Sonos players.

Towards the end of last year, I began experiencing a load of problems with the GPM app disconnecting, resulting in lengthy support sessions and log files from my players being looked at. The problem eventually disappeared, due to either GPM or Sonos fixes, and all has been well (rock solid) until just recently...

I've again begun to experience intermittent disconnects of the GPM app from the Sonos players it's 'casting'/connected to. NB this is an intermittent problem, so reproducible test cases are very tricky to create! When the problem manifests, it's usually on a track transition, ie, when the current track in the GPM app's queue ends, the GPM app will disconnect from the Sonos players it was casting/connected to.

See Diagnostics: 5084302

In the Diagnostics example above, even though I reconnect GPM to my Sonos players, it disconnects again at the end of every track.

Following a reboot of the Android device, the problem became worse and would disconnect as soon as Play was pressed in the GPM app, and eventually the GPM app jumped back to the very first track in its queue (behaviour I've not seen before) - it had been attempting to play track no. ~50 in the queue prior to that. At this point, GPM began perform track transitions correctly, without disconnecting from Sonos, for tracks which were early in the GPM queue (ie. 1st, 2nd, 5th), but would disconnect on track transitions that were later in the queue (such as ~50th in the queue).

See Diagnostics: 5084440.

At this point, I've resorted to rebooting all the Sonos devices. Once they've all come up, I've regrouped them in the Sonos app. The, within the GPM app, I've connected to the Sonos devices and again started playing track no ~50 in the GPM queue, near to the track's end. When the track ends, GPM again disconnects from the Sonos players. So in this case, the problem is persisting across both Android device and Sonos player reboots.

See Diagnostics: 5084494.

NB the three diagnostics sessions above are for contiguous periods, covering the narrative I've described.

As mentioned at the beginning, these problems are eerily similar to the problems I began encountering nearly a year ago, but which disappeared after a while - rather disappointing to see their return. I should add, I seem to recall that when these disconnect problems returned just recently, it was immediately following a GPM app update, so perhaps Google's devs have broken something. I realise that problems of this nature, involving the software of two different organisations, are the trickiest to investigate and resolve!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

14 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +7
Here are diagnostics for the same problem occurring on a different Sonos system:

In this example, GPM Android app was casting to Sonos, and at track ~23 in its queue, GPM would disconnect from (stop casting to) Sonos at the end of every track. I'd reconnect to Sonos using the Cast button, play the next track, and at the end of that track GPM would disconnect again. Rinse, repeat.

GPM disconnecting from Sonos on track transitions was a perpetual problem a year ago. This appears to be the same / similar problem.

I assume Google can't investigate this without the diagnostics of what's happening at the Sonos player end, hence me posting here. Also flagged to Google.
Userlevel 4
Badge +3
Here are diagnostics for the same problem occurring on a different Sonos system:

In this example, GPM Android app was casting to Sonos, and at track ~23 in its queue, GPM would disconnect from (stop casting to) Sonos at the end of every track. I'd reconnect to Sonos using the Cast button, play the next track, and at the end of that track GPM would disconnect again. Rinse, repeat.

GPM disconnecting from Sonos on track transitions was a perpetual problem a year ago. This appears to be the same / similar problem.

I assume Google can't investigate this without the diagnostics of what's happening at the Sonos player end, hence me posting here. Also flagged to Google.

Thanks RDog, have you tried removing the Google accounts from your Sonos system, then restarting your router and all Sonos products (by unplugging the power cables for 10 seconds), and finally re-adding the service to your system?

Also want to see if we can improve the signal strength between some of your Sonos products. Currently your system is on wireless channel 6, so make sure your router is either on channel 1 or 11.
If the router is already on channel 1 or 11, try setting it on channel 6 (in which case you'd need to change Sonos to either channel 1 or 11.)
Userlevel 5
Badge +7
This problem has returned with a vengeance :(

Currently, I have a 100% reproducible case:

1. Using the GPM Android app I connect/cast to Sonos then start to play a specific track.
2. At the 8-9 seconds point the GPM app disconnects from Sonos and playback stops.
3. When I attempt to again connect/cast to Sonos from within the GPM app, it connects then immediately (within 1 second) loses the connection.

Please see diagnostics: 6429116

This test case is repeatable after doing all the usual stuff: removing the GPM service from my Sonos app; powering off everything; restarting the router; sequentially powrring up Sonos devices; re-adding the GPM service in the Sonos app.
Does it make any difference whether you connect the Android device to SonosNet or not?
Userlevel 5
Badge +7
Good suggestion ratty, but sadly it doesn't make any difference: same issue whether on SonosNet or my router's wifi.

One odd thing I've noticed with the GPM app, which it never used to do:
- after tapping the Cast icon and choosing a Sonos speaker destination, the Cast icon animates and turns solid white [correct & usual behaviour];
- but now, as I navigate around the GPM app, the Cast icon keeps animating, as if it's reestablishing the Sonos connection [it never did this before].

eg.
- slide out the LHS navigation drawer, and the Cast icon cycles through the hollow/solid white Cast icon animation twice; slide it back in and it animates twice again
- select the Top charts link on the Listen Now page and the Cast icon animates once
- select a recommended radio station and it animates once
...and so on.

Probably totally unrelated, but it's a change in how it used to behave and seems a bit odd (and potentially 'expensive' if the icon animation signifies repeated dis-/re-connecting to Sonos during this app navigation).
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
This problem has returned with a vengeance :(

Currently, I have a 100% reproducible case:

1. Using the GPM Android app I connect/cast to Sonos then start to play a specific track.
2. At the 8-9 seconds point the GPM app disconnects from Sonos and playback stops.
3. When I attempt to again connect/cast to Sonos from within the GPM app, it connects then immediately (within 1 second) loses the connection.

Please see diagnostics: 6429116

This test case is repeatable after doing all the usual stuff: removing the GPM service from my Sonos app; powering off everything; restarting the router; sequentially powrring up Sonos devices; re-adding the GPM service in the Sonos app.

Hi RDog,

It looks like you've been working with our support team on this issue. This will be the best way to get things resolved. I've updated your ticket with information from this thread.
Did you find a solution to this problem? I have the same issue.
Badge
I am having same issue after a couple of years of normal function of casting to sonos. Any solution found?
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
Other people are reporting problems, although it works ok for me.
Make sure all your sonos kit is on latest release 7.2, including the sonos app on your android device you are trying to cast from.
Then we shall have to wait for sonos reply on here.....
Badge
All the software is up to date. Plays for 3 songs max before getting GPM playback error message.
Paulw123 you are casting from GPM to Sonos with no problems still?
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
Yeah I was casting to sonos from Samsung galaxy tab 10.1 using GPM.
It was glitchy to start with, very slow response to play/pause button. But after 10mins it seemed to settle down and then I never had any further problems for the 20minutes I tested it for.
I will try again tonight.
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
Still worked ok for me last night......
I had the same problem then I factory reset the speaker(unplug it, hold play/pause button then plug it in, keep holding it until the amber/green lights start flashing) then on sonos app I cleared the cache and data, restarted the app, setup the speaker again and everything is working fine now.
Badge +2
This is a regular occurrence for me recently. A long album rarely plays through to the end without having to re-cast it and press play again. Always on track transition. Even started using Sonos app a bit until I realised you can't skip back to listen to track again or just rewind a few seconds. Same symptoms as above for me