Analog output PCB repair for legacy ZP80 / Connect units

• 30 December 2021
  • 3 replies

I have several older ZP80 and Connect units with failed analog out stages but zero appetite for pitching my entire system for S2 replacement devices.  In the past I’ve rescued an older ZP100/Amp by replacing obviously failed bulging electrolytic caps.  Hoping there might be a similar component level fix for this apparently all-too-common failure mode of the older Connects. If it’s a matter of some simple passive component(s) that have given up the ghost but can be readily reworked that would be ideal.  If the audio codec IC itself the culprit then that’s rather more involved.  Plan B is to buy a cheapo ADC from Amazon and hope the digital outs still function on my two failed Connect units.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Plan B is to buy a cheapo ADC from Amazon and hope the digital outs still function on my two failed Connect units.

That would be simpler, except what you are looking for are DACs. 

Yes of course, a DAC.  A bit kludgy but definitely easier that reverse engineering the analog circuitry.  Plan B seems best course of action.

A bit kludgy but definitely easier that reverse engineering the analog circuitry. 

An audiophile would tell you that this is not kludgy at all, but essential, because none of them trust that the analog outputs would be good enough for their golden ears just on the basis that the Connect is too cheap! It goes without saying also that they would never use a DAC found on Amazon:-).