Amp + Playbase as Surround Sound in Different Rooms

• 9 December 2021
  • 2 replies

I have a Playbase set up (wifi, living room) and an AMP (wifi, basement) powering two ceiling speakers in the living room. Whenever i set up the AMP to be surround sound speakers of the playbase everything seems to be connecting properly but no sound is being played from the ceiling speakers. I notice that the AMP is no longer connected to the wifi when it is set up as surround sound speakers.

Diagnostic Number: 803721337

2 replies

Userlevel 7

When you stream music to the Playbase, do you hear any audio from the surround speakers wired to the Amp?

If you don’t hear any audio from the ceiling speakers when playing music, try unplugging the Playbase and Amp from power for a couple of minutes and reboot your router. Also be sure that Wi-Fi is enabled for the Playbase and Amp in the Sonos app settings. And under Surround Audio under the Playbase settings, set Music Playback to Full instead of Ambient.

The Playbase needs to communicate directly with the Amp when set up as surrounds.  It doesn't go via Wi-Fi.  The Playbase and Amp are just too far apart with the Amp in the basement..

Please see the second bullet point in this article 

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/2927?language=en_US