Amp goes into mute mode

• 19 October 2021
  • 17 replies

Badge +1

I have a Sony TV, Playbar connected to TV via optical, Sub, Amp and two in-ceiling  speakers.  I have a Boost wired to my router (Netgear Nighthawk  RAX45)

When I turn on the TV (via Harmony) I initially get sound, but then the Amp light turns green  and mutes the sound and the Amp light turns white.

If I go to that room it says nothing playing.  If I go to Browse and select TV the volume comes back on.

Have tried rebooting the router, Amp and Playbar.

Any suggestions??

17 replies

Can you describe your setup a little more?  Are the amp and speakers setup as rear surround speakers, bonded with the Arc? Or is the amp and speakers setup as a separate room?  When you say that the sound is muted, which speakers are you referring to?

Badge +1

Amp and speakers bonded and set up as rear surround.  Don't have an Arc.  Playbar bonded with Amp and speakers. Amp and speakers in same room as TV, Playbar and Sub. All sound is muted, Playbar and speakers.  

Not sure this is your issue, but a while ago, Harmony inserted a “when you start the TV, this is the volume to set it at” feature. It’s been obfuscated to somewhere less obvious, and I don’t remember how I found it last time I needed to look for it, but it could be setting your TV set’s volume when you turn it on using the Harmony.

That would explain why it comes on initially at normal volume for a second, until the Harmony has time to set the volume via IR….

Badge +1

Where in the app is this setting?

Userlevel 7

Are the amp and speakers setup as rear surround speakers, bonded with the Arc? 

Don't have an Arc.  

FYI @larry989 

Your profile shows you have an Arc. It does not indicate a Playbar. Did you list your owned products incorrectly?

Userlevel 7

Amp and speakers bonded and set up as rear surround.  Don't have an Arc.  Playbar bonded with Amp and speakers. Amp and speakers in same room as TV, Playbar and Sub. All sound is muted, Playbar and speakers.  

In simple terms you have:

Playbar bonded with Sonos Sub and Sonos Amp with wired speakers as surrounds

As I said, I don’t recall where in the Harmony app this setting was. It took me around 10 or 15 minutes to find it. It used to be much more exposed when they first released it. 

Badge +1

AjTrek1

Here is my system is shows Playbar not Arc, nit sure what you were looking at

AjTrek1

Here is my system is shows Playbar not Arc, nit sure what you were looking at

In your community profile.

But to the issue. I think the suggestion to check your Harmony settings may be the way to go.  Does the issue occur if you turn on the TV with the TV remote instead of the Harmony remote?

Badge +1

I see.  I ordered an Arc, but it has not come yet, they say December now.  I’ll change it back to Playbar.

Works fine if I use the TV remote, but then the Harmony doesn’t work (won’t recognize any commands)

Also if i turn it on with My Tivo the sound works but change change volume.

I will call Sonos to see if they can help/

Definitely sounds like an issue with your Harmony setup.

I wouldn’t expect a Sonos CS person to be an expert in Harmony programming. I’d think  you’d need to contact Logitech with that issue. 

Badge +1

So I called Sonos and after much discussion they suggested I call Sony, which I will do.  But n the interim I went back to my two room option.

Playbar and TV in one room.

Sub, Amp and surrounds in a second room

Then I put the two rooms together and it works.

Not the best solution. but it works

You are not getting surround sound with your ‘two room option’, you are just getting stereo out of your speakers connected to the amp.

Did you tell Sonos support that the issue only happens when using your Harmony remote?

Badge +1

Yes I did.  Will try Logitec, but they don’t care about Harmony any more so I am not hopeful

There is at least a workaround on Logitech’s FAQ site, at the very bottom:

https://support.myharmony.com/en-my/adding-commands-when-an-activity-starts-or-ends

I’ve not finished googling all of the situation, which system are you using to program your Harmony Remote?

Badge +1

I kept one computer on Mojave so I use that much easier than the app