Amazon stream crashes Five

• 13 March 2021
  • 9 replies

Badge

I’m a new Five owner, which I use mostly with Spotify and Amazon.  I’ve had no problems using Spotify, but when using Amazon the music will occasionally stop mid-track.  When this happens, the Sonos app will report “Unable to connect to Sonos” for a short while.  It appears that the Five is crashing and rebooting.  It’s connected via Ethernet cable, so (fortunately) WiFi issues are off the table, and there’s no other sign of connectivity problems when this happens.

Any suggestions for debugging, fixes or workarounds?  thanks!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

9 replies

Userlevel 7

Try removing Amazon Music from your music services in the Sonos app and re-adding it.

Badge

Try removing Amazon Music from your music services in the Sonos app and re-adding it.

thank you for the suggestion, but the problem still happens after I removed and re-added the Amazon service.

Another data point - I had the same problem with a Play:5 that I’d borrowed before I bought my own Five.

Is there a way to collect any data from the Five about what happened?

carlschaefer,

I would perhaps look at the wired connection to begin with, particularly as the same issue was happening with the borrowed device aswell. 

Is the speaker wired direct to the router, or is it connected indirectly? Have you tried another Ethernet cable, or running the speaker on a WiFi connection instead, just to see if that makes a difference.

If the router is using QoS bandwidth sharing for connected devices, then perhaps also switch off that feature.

You can submit a system diagnostic to Sonos. if you did so after this “crash”, which I happen to think is some sort of wifi interference , or possibly a duplicate IP address issue, not a software issue on the device, it should include any of the previous 10 minutes worth of data that is in the “buffer” maintained for that purpose. You could then call Sonos Support directly to discuss it, since they’re the only ones who have access to open that report.  

Badge

You can submit a system diagnostic to Sonos. if you did so after this “crash”, which I happen to think is some sort of wifi interference , or possibly a duplicate IP address issue, not a software issue on the device, it should include any of the previous 10 minutes worth of data that is in the “buffer” maintained for that purpose.

thanks, Bruce, the system diagnostic sounds perfect.  WiFi interference seems unlikely, as the Five is connected with an Ethernet cable, and I have a hard time imagining why a duplicate IP address would regularly affect Amazon but never Spotify.  Of course, until the problem is actually understood nothing is out of the question… :-)

Badge

Having submitted a couple diagnostic files to Sonos, I called their support line to see what clues they might contain.  The representative I spoke with attributed the problem to a high level of 802.11 interference and phy errors, but I was unable to understand his explanation for why that would cause problems for an Ethernet-connected speaker, and why it would affect some but not all music services.

My guess that the Five was actually crashing appears to be wrong, as the diagnostic files indicate a last reboot time well before the problem occurrences.

Badge

Also, I’ve now seen the same problem (music stops, and the Five is inaccessible from the S2 app for several minutes) with Sirius radio streams, in time frames ranging from a few minutes to a couple hours, but still Spotify radio can play all day without interruption.

Also, I’ve now seen the same problem (music stops, and the Five is inaccessible from the S2 app for several minutes) with Sirius radio streams, in time frames ranging from a few minutes to a couple hours, but still Spotify radio can play all day without interruption.

Just as a repeat of my earlier post…

Is the speaker wired direct to the router, or is it connected indirectly? Have you tried another Ethernet cable, or running the speaker on a WiFi connection instead, just to see if that makes a difference.

If the router is using QoS bandwidth sharing for connected devices, then perhaps also switch off that feature.

Badge

hey Ken, sorry to make you repeat yourself :-)

the router has QoS on the uplink, but with >20mbps in that direction it seems unlikely to be active (or a reason why the app couldn’t communicate with the Five).  If you have a theory about how/why router QoS could be a problem anyway, I’d certainly be interested to hear it.

I haven’t tried changing Ethernet cables, but I did switch the Five to use WiFi, and found that to be a vast improvement, the speaker never stops and drops off the net for several minutes anymore.  Once after the switch to WiFi I heard a song stop mid-way and skip to the next song, but overall my experience with it has changed from routinely frustrating to almost perfect.

thanks for all the advice & suggestions!