Answered

Amazon Music Unlimited Dolby Atmos low volume thru Arc

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

Hi, this is to continue the discussion on the previous topic which was closed.

Does anyone has news on this? The issue persists on my system, since the launch of Atmos Music on Sonos & Amazon last December.

To reproduce the issue:

1. On Sonos Beam Gen 2 or Sonos Arc with Amazon Music account;
  2. Select a Station from Amazon Music that has a mix of Atmos and HD/Ultra HD tracks, e.g., Today's Hits;
  3. Start playing and DON'T skip songs (be patient!);
  4. If, by chance, the first track is Atmos, it'll play fine;
  5. Wait until an Atmos track starts playing after an Ultra HD or HD track;
  6. The volume will be so low that you can't barely listen to it;
  7. Tap the pause button;
  8. Tap the play button;
  9. The Atmos track will resume playing at the normal volume;
  10. If, by chance, the next track is also Atmos, it'll play fine;
  11. Return to step 5 (the issue will always happen).

I have opened a ticket with Sonos support in December, but no solution until now ☹️

icon

Best answer by Corry P 8 April 2022, 13:17

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

28 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @furacaopr 

I just spoke to one of our engineers regarding this issue and he was able to reproduce it so is now creating a ticket for investigation.

No time-scale to report, but we’ll update this thread once it has been resolved.

I hope this helps.

Userlevel 4
Badge +6

Agreed. I just tested on my system and the bug persists.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @furacaopr 

I wonder if it's on Sonos or Amazon side.

I think we have to hold our hand up and take ownership of this one - it’s something to do with our playback transitions.

In my experience with software, defining an ETA on a bug is pretty much a hopeless effort, and often doubles the amount of time the engineer spends in order to figure out what the issue really is, and address it. Better to just fix the issue, rather than providing ETA type information. Distracts attention from the fix. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

I just tested it and it worked fine. Playlist started with an Ultra HD track, a few tracks later an ATMOS track played and volume was the same as previous tracks.

There was an update recently, maybe this bug was part of that update. (Current software version 14.4)

Playlists work fine. The problem is with Stations.

I just tested it and it worked fine. Playlist started with an Ultra HD track, a few tracks later an ATMOS track played and volume was the same as previous tracks.

There was an update recently, maybe this bug was part of that update. (Current software version 14.4)

Playlists work fine. The problem is with Stations.

Oh right, sorry. Yes, same here then, on Stations, the bug still persists

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @furacaopr 

No, nor will there be until it has been resolved. There won’t be anything I can share until that point.

Userlevel 7

Hi @furacaopr 

I just spoke to one of our engineers regarding this issue and he was able to reproduce it so is now creating a ticket for investigation.

No time-scale to report, but we’ll update this thread once it has been resolved.

I hope this helps.

Appreciate the update Corry. I had logged this same issue with support under case ref: 03792816

Now it appears the issue has reached the relevant dept. within Sonos, I’ll await the future fix. Cheers!

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Mr. T 

@Corry P - Corry, why was the previous thread on this subject closed?

We’re not sure - we’ve asked InSided to investigate. It seems the thread was automatically closed 90 days after the initial post, rather than 90 days after the last post.

Userlevel 7

I received an email from support today, mentioning my case has been escalated. There's hope 🙂

Yes, the email response I received from support tonight was a lot more positive.

I’ve ran some further diagnostics which they requested, so just drafting the email response to them now.

Yep, issue still persists as of May 22, despite updates

Userlevel 7

Agree, the issue persists so it has not been resolved.

Is your support ticket still open? 

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

Is your support ticket still open? 

I think so, but I haven't heard back despite my follow-up emails.

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

Hi @Corry P, any updates on the ETA yet?

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Mr. T 

Yes - I think we caught him in a pincer movement!

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

Hi @furacaopr 

That's a big improvement, finally. Hopefully they'll be able to fix it soon 🙂

I wonder if it's on Sonos or Amazon side.

Userlevel 7

@Corry P - Corry, why was the previous thread on this subject closed?

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

I think we have to hold our hand up and take ownership of this one - it’s something to do with our playback transitions.

Much appreciated, @Corry P

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

Maybe it's just me, but I've noticed the opposite effect of update 14.8, i.e., my arc-based system actually sounds like it's playing louder at a given volume setting. No measurements for comparison  taken at any pow.

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

Hi @GC3, please try the 11 steps on the first post of this thread and let us know.

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

I received an email from support today mentioning my case has been escalated. There's hope 🙂

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

Sonos update 14.8 now and this hasn't been fixed yet. It's a pity Sonos is focusing on launching new stuff without fixing what doesn't work. This bug persists for almost 6 months now, since the launch of Atmos Music on Amazon, affecting my listening experience.

It was not like that when I reported a bug during the S1 to S2 migration a few years ago. The engineer contacted me on a daily basis until they had the issue sorted out and then the fix was deployed in the following firmware update. I was expecting the same service level now. Disappointed.

I am new to Sonos. Only have had it for a month. I stream Amazon music. It was working great for the first few weeks and now the volume is low on every other song. I’ve done all the trouble shooting steps for both apps. Disappointing 

Userlevel 7

I am new to Sonos. Only have had it for a month. I stream Amazon music. It was working great for the first few weeks and now the volume is low on every other song. I’ve done all the trouble shooting steps for both apps. Disappointing 

The simplest answer, is not to use Stations on Amazon Music. You shouldn’t experience this low volume issue streaming other content from Amazon Music.