Am I the Only One Who Dreads Each and Every Update? They are Killing Me.

• 21 October 2019
  • 20 replies

I’ve been a Sonos user for 5 years, and for the first two years I was delighted with the service.  Since that time, with each update, I live with more and more functionality problems.  More updates = more problems. I feel as though I spend as much time troubleshooting as I do listening to music, and I’m about to hang it up.

Such a shame - Sonos brought me a great deal of happiness before the system updates rendered the experience to be so problematic.  

Once again, I have no music today. The play button is greyed out on every device I own.  Must admit, this is a new one, but it’s just another problem on a list that keeps getting longer and longer. 

20 replies

Keith,

Can you perhaps describe your local network setup that the Sonos devices are connected to. The make/model of router, if there are any wifi access points, repeaters or managed switches etc. 

Do you run the system on SonosNet and whether, or not, you have you reserved your Sonos IP addresses in the routers DHCP Reservation Table?

I understood the words “network”, “router”, and “switches” in your message.  No idea what anything else might mean, but I thank you for taking the time to make suggestions.  

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

Well, can you answer what model router you have?  Do you have any other devices that you use as part of your WiFi network?   Are any of your Sonos speakers physically wired to your router?

Sure.  My wi-fi router is a BT Hub made by British Telecom.

No other devices used, other than the usual laptop and phone.  No physical wires.

Just ran my diagnostics.  Does anybody know where to send the confirmation number?

Most have found that reserving IP addresses will eliminate update problems, making sure each Sonos device always gets the same address after the update reboots them.  The following link desribes how to do this (substitute your Sonos device(s) for the Raspberry Pi):

https://2ellsblog.wordpress.com/2016/02/09/set-up-a-static-internal-ip-address-on-bt-home-hub-5/

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

Just ran my diagnostics.  Does anybody know where to send the confirmation number?

You can post the number here, Sonos staff will read it and respond.

And @jgatie and @Ken_Griffiths  advice to use reserve IP addresses is the way to go.

Also, you are using what Sonos refers to as a ‘wireless setup’.  

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/3235?language=en_US

Keith,

Here is a (bit of a boring) YT short video, which explains how to reserve the IP addresses in the DHCP Reservation. table of the BT Hub 6 

https://youtu.be/dMyJ6QHjyYE

If you have an earlier version of the router, then you may find a YT video for your model, or maybe able to figure things out from the video. It’s fairly straightforward. You can find all your Sonos IP addresses/Mac addresses listed in the Sonos App under “Settings/System/About my System”

Hope that assists. I think most folk here would recommend that you reserve your addresses to help resolve your issues.

Okay!  Fingers crossed.  I reserved the IP addresses and tried to reboot everything in a logical order (modum / hub / wireless speakers / laptop / phone) 

Many thanks to all for your quick replies.  Maybe I won’t have to dread the further updates….

Keith

Okay!  Fingers crossed.  I reserved the IP addresses and tried to reboot everything in a logical order (modum / hub / wireless speakers / laptop / phone) 

Many thanks to all for your quick replies.  Maybe I won’t have to dread the further updates….

Keith

Good to hear Keith. Hope you’ll kindly let us know how the next update goes for you.

Damn.  I thought I had this thing licked.  Still having to reboot the hub two or three times a day if I want to listen to Sonos.

Submitted to diagnostics 972726081

You are spot on Keith… :thumbsup_tone1:      You just have to look at the solutions offered on this forum -  Folks sure a re patient and helpful - but you’ll need a degree in computer science just to read the help nowadays!

I’ve just lost my entire system and I’m really not sure I’m willing/able to perform the sort of maintenance that now seems expected….

With my average-level technological capabilities, I understand why there might be connectivity issues from the outset.

What I don’t comprehend is why, once all is connected and operating, it goes dead after a couple of hours.

I’ve reported a case to diagnostics.  The next few days will determine whether I stick with this or haul the speakers to the charity shop.  I guess I can’t complain; it was a very smooth, uncomplicated ride for several years - I was amazed at how user-friendly it all was in the good old days.

Same here - It used to be true plug and play  …  I’m planning to stick the lot on Ebay if I can’t get it running this time.   Maybe it just doesn’t work in London :wink:

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

Keith and mrcd, have you tried calling Sonos.  They can run some more complex diagnostics whilst you are on the phone and hopefully find the source of your ills.  Well worth a try as it could be neighboring wifi, microwaves or even simple product placement degrading your wif fi network

Thanks for the idea, bockersjv.  Not ideal, as I live in the UK and it would involve a trans-

atlantic call to 8 time zones away.  I’ll keep it in mind as a   Plan B.

I’ve had no response to my first request for diagnostics; just submitted a second request 1862484510.

Not ideal, as I live in the UK and it would involve a trans-

atlantic call to 8 time zones away.  

Not sure where you got that idea from. It’s an 0800 number.

https://www.sonos.com/en-gb/contact/contact-options

Who knew?  Brilliant.  My bad for assuming a California company would have a California helpline.  Thanks for this.

I’m now down to zero connectivity.  Used to get a temporary service with a reboot, but have now gone  completely silent.  

Will phone today.

Keith

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

Who knew?  Brilliant.  My bad for assuming a California company would have a California helpline.  Thanks for this.

I’m now down to zero connectivity.  Used to get a temporary service with a reboot, but have now gone  completely silent.  

Will phone today.

Keith

Good luck Keith. I’m in the UK too and found the UK helpline to be excellent. 

Do you happen to have a Sonos Bridge wired to your router?