All rooms disappeared

Userlevel 2
Badge
Hi
Haven't been here for a while, as everything has been working swimmingly. Until I updated to the new 9.2 non-beta app and now I've lost all rooms bar the one with a hard-wired Playbar, with a Sub and two Play:1s as surounds. Everything else has vanished - two more Play:1s, a Sonos 1, and two Play:3s.

I've tried power cycling everything but to no avail. The lights on the speakers are steady white, seemingly indicating all OK but nothing showing in the app (iOS) or on the PC controller.

I've submitted a diagnostic 1006539121.

Any suggestions?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

14 replies

Did power cycling everything include your router?

If it did, then could you experimentally wire one of your other speakers, in addition to the Playbar, and see if it comes back, and indeed if others come back.
Userlevel 2
I’m having same issue on all my iPads and iPhones
Userlevel 2
Badge
Bizarrely they're all back this morning. I seem to remember experiencing a similar event earlier in the year, when rooms went offline and then came back 24hrs later.

I've submitted another diagnostic for comparison 548693889
Badge
On this new 9.2 Release, Just check if IOS OS is at the right version....

Operating systems iOS 9 and Android 4.x are now partially supported by the Sonos App. Devices running iOS 9 or Android 4.x can still browse, search, and play music using this version of the Sonos app. Less common tasks like adding new speakers, modifying music services, or setting up a new Sonos system require Android 5.0 or higher, or iOS 10 or higher.
Userlevel 2
Badge
Running 12.0.1 on an iPhone XS
Userlevel 2
I have a similar thing. Two Android 9 devices have lost all Amp, Sonos Play and Sonos One (whether wireless a or wired) speakers and all that's left is a Playbar. I'm on 9.3 beta.
Sonos app in Windows can still see all rooms, and all rooms behave normally otherwise it's just the mobile app that's lost them.
Submitted a diagnostic from Android (1291430006) and Windows (1661782255).
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
I have a similar thing. Two Android 9 devices have lost all Amp, Sonos Play and Sonos One (whether wireless a or wired) speakers and all that's left is a Playbar. I'm on 9.3 beta.
Sonos app in Windows can still see all rooms, and all rooms behave normally otherwise it's just the mobile app that's lost them.
Submitted a diagnostic from Android (1291430006) and Windows (1661782255).

Hi boynsie,

It's strange that your Android controller doesn't see the rest of the system. Usually a controller will see all or none of the components if other controllers can see them all. You might try connecting your Android to the 2.4 ghz connection instead of the 5 ghz, but I'm thinking that the issue may be a security setting on your Sonicwall firewall/router. Sonicwalls are known for having high levels of security, sometimes preventing devices from connecting to other networked devices. Try checking to see if there are any restrictions on your Android in the Sonicwall configuration.
Userlevel 2
What's very odd is that although all the rooms re-appeared on both Android controllers last night, today they disappeared again on Android (both 2.4 and 5Ghz) and on a Windows laptop. BUT a Windows wired ethernet machine kept seeing all rooms. So I rebooted a Linksys wifi switch that sits in front of the Sonicwall and now all devices can see all rooms again. But whilst I can play Spotify content I can no longer play Audible content in any room (I just get the message "Unable to play the selected item"). I removed and re-added the Audible service, but same result.
Appreciate this is a very different issue to the thread, but would a diagnostic help?
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
What's very odd is that although all the rooms re-appeared on both Android controllers last night, today they disappeared again on Android (both 2.4 and 5Ghz) and on a Windows laptop. BUT a Windows wired ethernet machine kept seeing all rooms. So I rebooted a Linksys wifi switch that sits in front of the Sonicwall and now all devices can see all rooms again. But whilst I can play Spotify content I can no longer play Audible content in any room (I just get the message "Unable to play the selected item"). I removed and re-added the Audible service, but same result.
Appreciate this is a very different issue to the thread, but would a diagnostic help?

It sounds like your computer had a different network path than your Android. Hopefully rebooting the Linksys keeps things working.

A diagnostic report may well explain why your system isn't connecting to Audible. Please send one in, then reply with the confirmation number.
Userlevel 2
Hi, I've submitted diags (1366174845), so any advice is gratefully received.

Kind regards,

Paul.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi, I've submitted diags (1366174845), so any advice is gratefully received.

Kind regards,

Paul.

Thanks for the report. We're currently tracking an outage affecting Audible playback on Sonos systems. We'll update this thread when things are resolved.
Badge
I had the same thing happen with a similar set up. Submitted diagnostic but never heard from Sonos.
Rooms and speakers would come and go.
What worked for me was to connect each piece to a Ethernet cable one at a time then disconnect.
Userlevel 2
Audible is now working since the wider issue was addressed. I am still getting seemingly random room disappearances though, and the only characteristics I can identify are:

1) The room disappearance can manifest itself on both Windows and Android controllers (not tried IOS), and I THINK may have affected the CR200 but I can't verify yet.
2) Although both wired and wireless rooms disappear across a mixture of Plays and Amps, so it wouldn't be true to say wireless room disappear and wired ones stay
3) The one room that NEVER disappears is the wired Playbar; that's always the one room left in the list.
4) There's no real consistency across devices, so one Android device can lose its rooms for a day, but another Android device may still have them. Stopping and reloading the Android app doesn't make the rooms return, and nor does upgrading the software.
5) Rebooting my wireless router did at one point seem to cause the rooms to come back on my Android, but when they later disappeared again that same reboot action didn't make any difference.
6) The rooms always come back, but I can't find the rhyme or reason as to when that happens on any given device, and whilst not all controllers lose or regain the rooms at the same time, all the lost rooms will all come back at once.

If I find anything that kicks the rooms back into action I'll share, equally if anyone else has any tips please do chip in!

Regards,

Paul.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
May not be the solution but the router rebooting makes it a possibility, IP address issues.

Take a few minutes and use your router's DHCP page to assign static/reserved IPs to your Sonos devices. Power down the Sonos, reboot the router and power up the Sonos devices, wired then closest first, about a minute apart.