Answered

Album missing from library index

  • 17 October 2018
  • 6 replies
  • 172 views

Userlevel 1
Badge +1
I have an album purchased today from iTunes. It is present in the music library and the folder contains the m4a file for each track. iTunes info shows complete meta-data to be present for the album. After indexing the music library, the album does not appear. I have searched composer, artist, album, and song indices and cannot find it. I've done the re-indexing several times. Going to the music library with the browser shows everything in order. As far as I can tell, the index is otherwise intact, but I have a large library and cannot be certain of this.

Any ideas?
icon

Best answer by BillF 20 October 2018, 05:21

A further update. I reported the indexing issue via twitter. Since overnight indexing seems to be complete, I've agreed to treat it as "solved", though I'm not entirely happy. I did report that the failed indexing consistently results in a "completed successfully" message even though it did not. It produces exactly the same message as the overnight processing.

After some experimentation, I am pretty sure that the "scheduled" index is different from ones initiated on command. I added a new album, did an index, and verified it was incomplete. I repeated the index several times -- all produced incomplete results. I then changed the schedule to index a few minutes in the future and went back to doing other things. (Sonos was playing music throughout all of this.) After a half hour or so, checked notifications and was told indexing had happened. Checked library, and index seems to be complete.

Bill
View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +1
Update. This is weird. Yesterday, after several rounds of music library re-indexing, the new album was not shown. I checked one last time before going to bed last night. This morning, the album is present, showing in the same indices I checked last night.

I would still like to know what is going on.
Probably best if you were to submit a system diagnostic, and either post the number here, or contact Sonos to discuss it. There may be information included in the diagnostic that will help Sonos pinpoint the issue and help you find a solution.

That being said, there may not be enough time of data in the diagnostic to help pin this down, I think there's only 10 to 15 minutes stored in it.

I'd also double check to see if you have an "auto-update" set up for your library. I'm not at home to check, but I'm pretty sure mine does it daily at 3AM, or some similar time that I set up years and years ago.

It's also possible (although I think less likely) that you're losing connection periodically either to a speaker, or your NAS (or wherever you have your music stored) , so it isn't grabbing all of the data. I'd take a look at the wifi interference FAQ, and give strong consideration to making sure all devices connected to your router have assigned reservations for IPs in the DHCP table.

But this is all conjecture. That last paragraph is just good network stuff, and certainly wouldn't hurt to do, if you haven't already. But I'm also not suggesting this is a silver bullet for resolving this enigma.
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
I am sure you are correct and the album was finally indexed in overnight processing. (I do have it enabled.) As far as I could tell, there were no connection issues when I did the manual indexing.
Yea, that's a hard one, for sure. In many cases, it's almost impossible to see if your system happens to have a duplicate IP address issue, since the page that the router serves you is from a moment in time, usually, and not over the last X hours. I did see someone post a report yesterday that actually showed 2 devices connected to the same IP address. Not sure what kind of router s/he had. Mine doesn't do that. Just shows me what is connected to what IP address "now". And given the large number of devices I have, it takes me a while to go through the list and tick them off to figure out if one is missing or not.

When I originally set up my assigned reservations, I set up a spreadsheet that listed the item, and the associated MAC address, so that I could make sure I assigned them all appropriately. Took a little prep, but the dividend has been fantastic. No longer having issues across any devices about "lost internet" or dropouts.

Glad your album showed up. Still sheer conjecture on my part as to why it wasn't there originally.
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
A further update. I reported the indexing issue via twitter. Since overnight indexing seems to be complete, I've agreed to treat it as "solved", though I'm not entirely happy. I did report that the failed indexing consistently results in a "completed successfully" message even though it did not. It produces exactly the same message as the overnight processing.

After some experimentation, I am pretty sure that the "scheduled" index is different from ones initiated on command. I added a new album, did an index, and verified it was incomplete. I repeated the index several times -- all produced incomplete results. I then changed the schedule to index a few minutes in the future and went back to doing other things. (Sonos was playing music throughout all of this.) After a half hour or so, checked notifications and was told indexing had happened. Checked library, and index seems to be complete.

Bill
That's fascinating. Hopefully this information will be passed back to the development team, for consideration. That being said, I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be a top priority for them to fix immediately.