Answered

Album listed in (and plays from) Sonos Controller but files can't be found in library?

• 5 September 2019
  • 5 replies

I know this may seem crazy, but I have an album which shows up in my Sonos controller on my iPad but I can't see (or find) the actual song files anywhere on my iMac - how can that be? I confirmed I can play the tracks via my Play:1, but when I do a search on my PC I don't see the files.

This all started with trying to clean up my album artwork, as well as my music library in general - but the album in question has been deleted via iTunes & verified to be gone via iOS Finder...and doesn't show up in a search of the iMac HDD or the NAS where the Sonos controller is pointed.

Any suggestions or exposure of my ignorance is greatly appreciated...
icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 5 September 2019, 01:00

Ummm. Thanks, shot all my theories in one fell swoop :)

It only seems logical that there's still a version of that album existing on your iMac, but not where you're looking. Since Sonos doesn't "store" any music itself, it just works from where you point it to to play, that's pretty much the only solution.

Since you removed the streaming possibility (damn you!), then I'd be taking a look at where the Sonos is pulling from (looking at the Sonos controller to see exactly where the library is pointed to). I know at one point when I updated iTunes, it changed it's location for data storage, and I ended up with two slighly dissimilar and yet similar libraries, until I turned on that feature in iTunes to consolidate everything, which ended up putting all of the things in one place. I think that was a few year ago (iTunes 3 to 4? Not really sure), but I ended up with a couple of different "music" folders nested in my iTunes folder.

I'd be poking around, and searching for the file names. Sonos can't play what you don't have somewhere...unless the laws of time and space have been broken 🙂
View original

5 replies

Do you have any streaming connections set up in your Sonos? I'm wondering if it's playing from one of them.

Also, have you run a library update since deleting the file?
Didn't think of streaming, since I rarely use it, but just checked & the album in question isn't listed in my streaming account (via Amazon Music) - but I went ahead & removed that streaming service anyway with no luck.

And I have run a library update (multiple times) since removing the album, and have rebooted my iMac as well...
Ummm. Thanks, shot all my theories in one fell swoop :)

It only seems logical that there's still a version of that album existing on your iMac, but not where you're looking. Since Sonos doesn't "store" any music itself, it just works from where you point it to to play, that's pretty much the only solution.

Since you removed the streaming possibility (damn you!), then I'd be taking a look at where the Sonos is pulling from (looking at the Sonos controller to see exactly where the library is pointed to). I know at one point when I updated iTunes, it changed it's location for data storage, and I ended up with two slighly dissimilar and yet similar libraries, until I turned on that feature in iTunes to consolidate everything, which ended up putting all of the things in one place. I think that was a few year ago (iTunes 3 to 4? Not really sure), but I ended up with a couple of different "music" folders nested in my iTunes folder.

I'd be poking around, and searching for the file names. Sonos can't play what you don't have somewhere...unless the laws of time and space have been broken 🙂
Thanks Bruce, and you're correct - I should have been searching for file/song names...as that lead to the disc, which in the course of moving things around manually got moved into the generic 'Music' folder as an artist (rather than an album).

I knew it had to be there somewhere but was getting frustrated - appreciate your help & suggestions!
Shoot, the only reason I “knew” was it has happened to me ;)

You’re most welcome!