Album Art Thumbnail

• 17 February 2013
  • 18 replies

Userlevel 2
I just picked up a Sonos Play 3 and Bridge and I have been having some trouble with the album art thumbnails. In the Artist and Album lists where it shows a thumbnail of the album cover, some of my album covers don't show up. But if I play the album I see the cover in the "Now Playing" screen. This is on my iPhone 5. The thumbnails show up fine in my Sonos player on my iMac.

Also, the little logos for Pandora, Spotify, Slacker,iHeartRadio, and other internet radio/streaming services don't appear on my iPhone 5. It just shows the default image (a treble clef). However, these logos show up fine in my Sonos player on my iMac.

18 replies

Welcome to the forums.

Sonos has quite a low patience when it comes to retrieving artwork. If it doesn't get a response within a brief window it will time out and revert to default art.

Since your problems are apparently confined to your iPhone one wonders whether the WiFi connection is suffering interference from Sonos wireless (or vice versa).

On your iMac open the Sonos controller and check in Manage/Settings/Advanced which wireless channel your Sonos is using. You'll then need to check your router's config and set your WiFi channel to a different channel to Sonos. You should pick from only 1, 6 or 11 for your WiFi. If your router offers a faster mode (40MHz/wide/300Mbps) then disable it.
Userlevel 2
Ratty,

I checked my router, a Netgear WNDR4300, and it was set to channel 9 so I switched it to 11, my Sonos is on channel 6. There is also a setting on the router called "Mode". The options are "Up to 54 Mbps", "Up to 130 Mbps", and "Up to 300 Mbps". I have mine set to 130.

Even after having made the change to the channel on my router, the trouble persists. And I noticed that only certain album thumbnails are not showing up in the Album/Artist view. In other words, certain album thumbnails never load. Other thumbnails always load.

Thanks for the help.
Well that was the correct action to take on your channel allocations, so it's beneficial come what may.

Have you tried completely quitting the Sonos controller app and restarting it? The process could be lingering in the background, and Sonos will 'cache' an artwork failure.
Userlevel 2
I quit the app and rebooted my iPhone. Still no luck.
I quit the app and rebooted my iPhone. Still no luck.

Since you have an iPhone, might I assume that you are using iTunes as well?

If so, the default method of 'Getting Album Artwork' for your ripped tracks, and any Purchased iTMS tracks will not show up on Sonos controllers even though they appear within iTunes.

You will have to manually embed the Artwork into the Tracks or use the 'folder.jpg' method for Sonos to see them.

It's an iTunes 'issue' (they went off standard), not a Sonos issue.

Post back with any comments.

Best of Luck
There's something else afoot:

Also, the little logos for Pandora, Spotify, Slacker,iHeartRadio, and other internet radio/streaming services don't appear on my iPhone 5. It just shows the default image (a treble clef). However, these logos show up fine in my Sonos player on my iMac.
There's something else afoot:

Yup - You're right. I missed that info.

Can't blame Apple/iTunes for that one (the missing radio stations' thumbnails).

Best of Luck
Userlevel 2
Additional info...

My wife has an iPhone 4 with the Sonos app installed on it as well and she has the same problem. The exact same album art thumbnails are missing on hers as well. And her iPhone is also missing the little streaming radio logos too.
Userlevel 2
Additional, additional info...:)

In the Sonos app on my iPhone I can select "This iPhone" and all album art shows up instantly. When I try to view the album art through the "Music Library" on my iPhone is where I run into the problem. And the art that does load is slow to load. It takes between 7 and 10 seconds to load 7 or 8 album thumbnails. This may be typical but it is way slower than the Apple Remote app.
Additional info...

My wife has an iPhone 4 with the Sonos app installed on it as well and she has the same problem. The exact same album art thumbnails are missing on hers as well. And her iPhone is also missing the little streaming radio logos too.

and

Additional, additional info...:)

In the Sonos app on my iPhone I can select "This iPhone" and all album art shows up instantly. When I try to view the album art through the "Music Library" on my iPhone is where I run into the problem. And the art that does load is slow to load. It takes between 7 and 10 seconds to load 7 or 8 album thumbnails. This may be typical but it is way slower than the Apple Remote app.

Had time to look at my Sonos when i got back home and found something very similar.

The icons within the 'More Music' selection of the 'Music' menu are missing for select controllers. Depending on the controller, they are the expected graphics, or just the Treble Clef icon. One is a 'mix'. Here's what I see:
- Win7 64bit Desktop Controller (on Laptop): All Correct Icons
- iPad (Gen 3 - iOS v6.1): All Correct Icons
- iPhone4S (iOS v5.1.1): Only Treble Clef Icons
- 1st iPhone 3G (iOS v4.2.1): Only Treble Clef Icons
- 2nd iPhone 3G (iOS v4.2.1): Most Correct Icons but 6 Treble Clef Icons (this is the strange one)
- Sonos CR200: All Correct Icons

It appears that some of the icon rendering may have a glitch in certain iDevices. We may need more observations to confirm or refute the issue is widespread.

I do notice the general, terrestrial radio icons loading quickly and completely across all controllers.

My general Album thumbnails load at various speeds. Some renderings are slow, but this is due to (I believe) an issue with my NAS (as diagnosed by Sonos Tech Support).

I have had a rock-solid Sonos system for 2+ years. Some recent local music dropouts have been growing in frequency lately, though. After several discussions with the Sonos tech staff and a few diagnostics, we believe that my NAS is having difficulty and my be failing. It's at the very least, struggling to keep up and hangs for a bit when accessing it outside of Sonos. A new NAS is awaiting to be set up for service when I can get the time.

I believe that you may be experiencing several (at least two) distinct problems:
- The missing controller Radio Icons may be a Sonos iDevice hiccup.
- The slow or missing Artwork thumbnails may indicate a network throughput/interference issue or storage device problem.

If you are getting all Album Artwork on your Mac in a timely manner, but not on the iPhone, then there may be a network connectivity issue or an internal App issue.

I have found no method to 'refresh' the cache on any of my controllers other then the new SonoPad App I have been testing (there is currently no ''More Music' menu selection in that aftermarket iPad App).

I have not had the time to delete and reinstall the iPhone Apps across any of my units. That will come next.

Where is your local music stored? On the Mac (wired or wireless?) or on a NAS or other? That may assist others in your missing/slow Album Art problem.

Bottom line - you're not alone in some of your observations. Wonder how much company we may get. :D

Best of Luck
I have not had the time to delete and reinstall the iPhone Apps across any of my units. That will come next.

As a test, I just deleted the Sonos app from the iPhone4S, downloaded and installed a fresh App, and rebooted the iPhone. After rejoining my Sonos system, there was no change in the 'More Music' icons. They're still showing the treble clef symbol.

My iPad continues to display all the icons correctly.

Just very curious.

Best of Luck
Userlevel 2
Buegie,

My music is stored on my mid-2011 iMac and connected to my router with an ethernet cable. I am also running the latest version of Lion, 7.5.

I wonder if the slow performance I am experiencing is due to the WiFi issues with iOS6. I found this article on Netgear's website for my router model.
http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/21865

My iPhone 5 iOS is 6.0.1.
Userlevel 2
One more thing...

I was just reading about setting up the Sonos Bridge and it says to put it at least 3 feet away from your router. Mine is about 6 inches. I don't know how much difference that makes but when I get home I'll move it as far away as the cable will allow.

As a general question for people rading this and that use the Bridge, how close is it to your router?
As a general question for people rading this and that use the Bridge, how close is it to your router?
About 1 foot, but most of that is vertical. Vertical separation is better than horizontal.

My music is stored on my mid-2011 iMac and connected to my router with an ethernet cable. I am also running the latest version of Lion, 7.5.

Well, that rules out a 'dying' NAS probability. I would think that you would quickly notice a performance/throughput problem with your Mac, so that may be eliminated as well.

I wonder if the slow performance I am experiencing is due to the WiFi issues with iOS6. I found this article on Netgear's website for my router model.
http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/21865

Certainly a possibility with the Netgear/iOS v6 wireless 'interactions'. I am running a D-Link DIR-655 Gigabit Wireless Router and only have my iPad on iOS v6.1. As I indicated, the iPad is the only iDevice to be unaffected by the Icon 'loss'. I am really interested in other iPhone users' observations.

I suspect that not many folks are repeatedly using the 'More Music' menu with an iPhone enough to notice the missing icons.

Best of Luck
Userlevel 2
I tried a bunch of different things today. I was initially irritated by the missing album art thumbnails but then I noticed that the album art thumbnails that I had were slowwww to load (it took 15 seconds to load about 9 or 10) on my iPhone 5.

1) Uninstalled the Zone player from my iMac and iPhone and set it up again from scratch. This had no effect on the logos for the internet music and album thumbnails. Album art thumbnails that show up on the Sonos controller on the iMac don't show up on the iPhone and the internet music icons are still those little treble clefs.

2) Moved my Sonos Bridge to the other side of my desk which is about two and a half feet away. That made no difference. My router is still channel 11 and the Sonos bridge is channel 6.

3) Disconnected the bridge and connected the Play 3 directly to the router. Album art definitely loaded faster when I did that. It still didn't fix the thumbnail issue but I have given up on fixing that.

4) Updated my router firmware. No effect.

I'm running out of ideas. So I think that the issue is with my router and/or with iOS 6.0.1. I don't want to upgrade to 6.1 as I hear there are wifi issues with that for some people. I'll sleep on it and try to thing of other things to try.
I tried a bunch of different things today. I was initially irritated by the missing album art thumbnails but then I noticed that the album art thumbnails that I had were slowwww to load (it took 15 seconds to load about 9 or 10) on my iPhone 5.

1) Uninstalled the Zone player from my iMac and iPhone and set it up again from scratch. This had no effect on the logos for the internet music and album thumbnails. Album art thumbnails that show up on the Sonos controller on the iMac don't show up on the iPhone and the internet music icons are still those little treble clefs.

2) Moved my Sonos Bridge to the other side of my desk which is about two and a half feet away. That made no difference. My router is still channel 11 and the Sonos bridge is channel 6.

3) Disconnected the bridge and connected the Play 3 directly to the router. Album art definitely loaded faster when I did that. It still didn't fix the thumbnail issue but I have given up on fixing that.

4) Updated my router firmware. No effect.

I'm running out of ideas. So I think that the issue is with my router and/or with iOS 6.0.1. I don't want to upgrade to 6.1 as I hear there are wifi issues with that for some people. I'll sleep on it and try to thing of other things to try.

As an update as of today, my three iOS devices that were displaying treble clefs in the 'More Music' menu section have corrected themselves.

As I opened my iPhone4S and navigated to the 'More Music' selection, I briefly saw the treble clef icons, then the appropriate icons blinked on. I subsequently observed the same thing with my two iPhone3G controllers.

I am still exhibiting the occasional slow loading Album Thumbnails, but I chalk that up to a poorly performing NAS. The replacement process for that starts today.

I am not sure what could be causing the Sonos-developed icons to misbehave, but it could be a wireless network throughput issue, or something else. The music file derived Thumbnails certainly indicate some slowdown along the 'Music File->Sonos ZP ->Controller Display' pathway. Most times a home network issue, but could be a Sonos unit issue as well.

Best of Luck
Userlevel 2
Buegie,

Well the issue with those little icons for the More Music stations resolved itself for all of my iOS devices today as well. I wonder if those icons are stored on a remote Sonos server???? I don't really understand but that's one item on my list resolved! 🆒

Anyway, I'm going to keep working on, what I perceive, is slow performance loading album art on my iDevices. It may be that this is just how quickly they load but it just seems slow, especially compared to Apple's Remote app. That loads all album art instantly even when I am at the fringes of my WiFi network.

I'll start by moving my cordless phone handset (the base station is in another room), a Panasonic DECT 6.0. Even though it says it works on the 1.9 GHz frequency and not the 2.4 GHz I'll still move it and see what happens.

I also downloaded inSSIDer to see what other networks were out there. That was interesting. It shows all the networks out there, the channels they are using, how strong they are, and how many channels they bleed over. It really illustrated the point about using the right channel quite clearly. Based on that I switched my bridge to channel 1 while keeping my router on channel 11. I'll see what that brings.

Finally, I'll try moving my router. Right now it is on my computer desk. The desk has a solid wood hutch that surrounds the back, top, and half of the sides. It is a nice looking piece of furniture but it may be negatively impacting my WiFi network.

Thanks for the help Buegie and ratty.

Cookie policy

We use cookies to enhance and personalize your experience. If you accept you agree to our full cookie policy. Learn more about our cookies.

Accept cookies Cookie settings