Album Art Sporadically Not Appearing

• 11 September 2018
  • 12 replies

Badge +5
I have been posting my "journey" in this thread.

And submitted a ticket. But it dawned on me, that Stanley might have been the only person watching that thread. So I'm starting a new one here... A cry for attention, if you will... But if it's an inappropriate duplicate, I'm sure the powers that be will remove it.

Thanks in advance for any help. It's perplexing and frustrating!

Ticket 72576679.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

12 replies

I've been following in the other thread, but what does "facacte" mean? I'm not familiar with that word.

I've always assumed that when I see this behaviour on my system, it's just a speed issue of the system (NAS or network?) loading the pictures. If I move the screen down, and then back up, sometimes they load up, sometimes they don't. But since I'm listening to the music, and not looking at the app, it's never really bothered me that much. Obviously, you have different listening habits than I do, which is why I've stayed out of your journey. I hope they're able to help you, but I have to express concern that on the list of issues that might be important to them, this one might not be at the top of the list.

Good luck!
Badge +5
I've noticed the latency that you've described, this is different - some albums just never load. On the one hand, you're right, it's "just" a visual whilst you should be listening, but;
a) It's akin (to me) of having the album jacket sitting on top of the cabinet while the LP plays (something I thought just I did until I saw Alan had LA Woman on display in "Sharp Objects")
2) It works on SOME albums, on SOME songs. If it never worked - OK, meh, I can live. It's the sporadicness (sporadicity?) that drives me mishegas.

Get a Yiddish dictionary! "Facacta" (I spelled it wrong) = crappy, all wrong. It's just a much more polite way to say it. (Although I noted the mods, well, modded this!)
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
I have been posting my "journey" in this thread.

And submitted a ticket. But it dawned on me, that Stanley might have been the only person watching that thread. So I'm starting a new one here... A cry for attention, if you will... But if it's an inappropriate duplicate, I'm sure the powers that be will remove it.

Thanks in advance for any help. It's perplexing and frustrating!

Ticket 72576679.

HI there,

In your diagnostic report I see that there is wireless itnerference causing communication errors between the components. This could lead to the players not pulling in the metadata from your entire library, which could lead to some album art not showing. Try changing the wireless channel on your Sonos system.

Also, it may help to look around and in between your Sonos units for any third party wireless electronics and move away anything you find.

After that, try updating your music index and see if your Sonos speakers are able to read more of the art from the music files.

Beyond that, you may wish to check on the files themselves if it's specific albums which do not show art. Sonos can read art that's embedded in the files as long as they are of a supported size. Sonos can also load album art that's stored in an image file if it's in the correct directory with the music files.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
If it is a wireless issue maybe running an Ethernet temporarily to one of your newer Sonos devices, ones that can do the full index faster and trying that way might be interesting. I don't have the list of the faster devices handy but I'd go with newest or try to dig it up here.
Badge +5
Hm.

Re: Interference
Interesting.

I have a Boost hard-wired to my router, one Sonos One is literally less than ten feet from the router (around a corner, natch). The Connect is about thirty feet away, it would be a direct line of sight except that it's in a small wooden cabinet. The two Sonos Threes are in the same room as the Connect, paired in stereo - one is direct line of sight to router, the other is in the same (fairly open) room, but on the other side of the (unstocked) bar. The final speaker - also an S1 - is about 15 feet from the router, in the same room as the teevee.

The only devices crowding on the WiFi would be a printer and a PC, literally three feet from the router. And the teevee, of course, is hella smart - but it's almost always turned off. I do have aquariums in two of the rooms - so filters are running (electrical interference?), and of course the amplifier/eq/CD player/turntable are all on top of the Connect, and also usually on.

I really can't hard-wire anything in a "true" test... The whole reason for Sonos is my bride has, after 29 years of living with speaker wire running along baseboards, cried "no more". So, you know, I don't have equipment anywhere that's relatively easy to run a CAT5 to. (I could do it as a temporary sandbox thing, but would that prove anything?)

I put the Boost in, even though it's a small apartment and fairly open, because I am under the elevator control room and do have neighbors... So I figured that would help with any interference? I've attached a shot of what the airwaves in my apartment look like. ("RJB-NW" is me).

Re: The Files Themselves
You asked if it's always the same files. Hard to tell, but there are some that seem to never load - even though other songs on the same album (tagged the same, in the same folder with the same folder.jpg) do load. Will try to pay better attention. (I do keep using two different Radiohead albums as my test case).

Re: Size of Art
As mentioned, I have scrubbed and removed anything larger than 1024 by 1024. Most art is 600 x 600 or smaller. For a few artists - Radiohead, The Who - I've actually removed all embedded art, as well. I've been using MediaMonkey (the free version) to tag files (genre, artwork, etc.)
(Q: Would it matter what size the JPEG was when it was actually embedded into the file?)

Re: Router
My router is set for Channel 11. My SonosNet is set to Channel 1 in the Sonos Windows App.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
I thought I had my RF noise problem solved too, carefully put every RF generating device at least a meter apart, even installed a new shelf to get to that spacing. Well surprise, one Play 3 was still very unhappy and there was nothing with a radio sitting next to it. Ended up unplugging every device near the darned thing and it was still unhappy until I pulled the plug on a WD external drive - one with no radio - and then it was happy. Moved the WD and the problem stayed fixed, moral don't trust anything electronic to be innocent.

Do you have original copies / backups of the problem files before you edited them on the NAS? If so run them through a file comparison utility and see if there are differences. A simple checksum generator will tell you they are the same of different, a more elaborate checker like the Unix diff command will tell you more about the changes.

Spousal approval is usually easy to get if you make it clear it is a temporary change and you don't run wires to a speaker, instead move the speaker to the wires. My 100 foot Ethernet cable only comes out if the wife is going to be gone for a while, otherwise I just give up and lug stuff back to my computer corner for testing.
Badge +5
Two thoughts:

1) The PC where I'm making decisions about whether or not the art is (wait for it) facacta is usually
Badge +5
Weird. Most of my post disappeared.

Two thoughts:

1) The PC is literally less than three feet from the router. No other RF devices on the same circuit, 'cept for a lamp.

b) I hadn't mentioned this before, but when the art doesn't display on my PC (the Sonos Controller), it ALSO doesn't appear on my iPad or Android phone. So if RF interference is indeed the cause of artwork not displaying, how does it explain that art doesn't appear on ALL my devices (instead of just one "interfered-with" device)? And how does it explain that it's generally (I believe) the same files?

And, no. I ripped many of these directly to the NAS; the rest I downloaded directly to the NAS. So I don't have "originals" to do an A/B test against.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
The RF problem can be an issue either during indexing or during playback, makes trying to test for it a pain.

Maybe make a copy of a half dozen working files, stuff them in a subdirecotry and then edit the copies to see if the album art issue changes.

No backups is brave!I have three backup copies of my CD collection rips, one on a Linux box, one off-line here and one off-line and off-site. There is no way I'm going tore rip 600 some CDs and clean up the tags and file names again!
Badge +5
Well you just jinxed me. For two days I'd been rebuilding a library of obscure tunes - some rips, some downloads - and carefully tagging them. And I accidentally included the working directory in a list of directories to shred - and discovered it 1/2 a second too late. Never done that before. Back to the effin' drawing board.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
I usually work in Linux so my situation and solutions aren't going to directly apply to you but you could look at something similar.

I use rsync to get my multiple copies of my library all backed up and happy, the off-line ones are done on a different schedule than the on-line ones. https://www.linux.com/learn/get-know-rsync

When I'm actively working on a project and making changes continually I use a backup tool, BackInTime that I can set to just backup the area I'm working on every few minutes (like the auto-save in a word processor or spreadsheet.) set it to keep all previous versions of any changed files which eats space but it is easily reclaimed once I do a full backup. Doing this to a second drive in the Linux box is fastest, it isn't too bad going to a USB 3 external drive either. https://linux.die.net/man/1/backintime There are also graphical shells available if you like to click instead of type.

Coming up with the same type of protection should be possible on an Apple or Windows machine. It is nice to know you are never faced with having more than the last few minutes work go missing.
Badge +5
[knockwood]I've had what I felt was a good backup strategy for years[/knockwood]

I travel about 95% of the time for work, so all "personal" stuff is kept on an external drive (photos, teevee, iTunes, financials). One Thursday night last June, I did a huge clean up of my PC's hard drive and my phone and moved a ton of stuff OFF those and onto the external drive. I always do a backup of all drives over the weekend (and most of my documents are on the cloud). But this week, for some reason, as I said, I moved them OFF the PC and phone when I transferred them. And Friday night, when I got home and opened my bag, for the first time in 15 years of traveling with an external drive, it was gone. I retraced my steps and retraced my steps and retraced my steps (also an anomaly of that Friday was how much time I spent on public transportation). So I did lose some photos that don't have backup (about 98 percent of my photos have three physical and one or two cloud backups). I also had some financial documents that weren't as encrypted as I would have liked... Nothing bad has turned up on my credit report or on the dark web, but I still kick myself pretty frequently.

As far as media, my iTunes has a whole ton of stuff on it - but that's because I rip tons of different stuff to listen to on my iPod or through my PC in a hotel room. Because m4as and MP3s sound so crappy in a larger system, I'm quickly purging a lot out of my Sonos library. And I'm not adding CDs back in, for the most part, because my CD player and CD cabinet is right there. Most of my LPs (about 2500+) are in storage. So what I'm adding to the Sonos library is FLAC versions of cherished/frequently-listened to LPs. I haven't been keeping a running backup, but once I get this where I like it I probably will. (Part of the issue is, the NAS is plugged into my router, which isn't easy to get to. So data transfer speeds through the network aren't that great.)

Holy Ethernet Bunny, Batman New Realization!
You mentioned a WD drive was causing interference. In every post about what may/may not cause interference with my router, I lied about what devices were around... I have a 320GB USB drive plugged into my router. The calls are coming from inside the house.