Answered

Album art loads on the iPhone app, but not on the iPad app

• 18 October 2018
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 2
Album art loading issues have been around in the Sonos app for years now, but still I hope for some good advice on the following. I recently installed a new NAS with my hundreds of albums on it, all with mp3’s with the artwork embedded in them. While the album art loads a lot quicker in the Sonos iPhone app, it does not any more in the iPad app. After I deleted and reinstalled the app last night it worked at first, but this morning it doesn’t any more and deleting and reinstalling the app hasn’t brought the solution this time. I can’t stop to think that it has something to do with the iPad app, because it works like a charm on the iPhone app.
Any ideas on this?
icon

Best answer by Krabbendam 18 October 2018, 16:55

My suggestion would be to have the artwork in each album folder as "folder.jpg" at say 500 x 500 and remove embedded artwork from the mp3s

Thanks for your suggestion. Thing is, it doesn’t explain why the issue doesn’t occur in the iPhone app. Furthermore, 99% of my artwork already is 500x500px and less than 256kB. I started embedding the artwork with mp3tag after WinMP kept changing the folder.jpg files into what it thought it had to be (imagine that, meaning at that time I had to redo a couple of hundred album arts ? and that’s already hundreds of ripped albums ago; not exactly something I’d like to retry, except as a very last resort).

Check the free space on the iPad. Artwork has to be downloaded and stored somewhere, if your iPad is full then that wont work.

Nope, just 16GB out of 128GB in use, so that’s not it (though I hoped it would have been, coz that’d been an easy fix).
View original

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +21
My suggestion would be to have the artwork in each album folder as "folder.jpg" at say 500 x 500 and remove embedded artwork from the mp3s
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Check the free space on the iPad. Artwork has to be downloaded and stored somewhere, if your iPad is full then that wont work.
Userlevel 2

Thanks for your suggestion. Thing is, it doesn’t explain why the issue doesn’t occur in the iPhone app. Furthermore, 99% of my artwork already is 500x500px and less than 256kB. I started embedding the artwork with mp3tag after WinMP kept changing the folder.jpg files into what it thought it had to be (imagine that, meaning at that time I had to redo a couple of hundred album arts ? and that’s already hundreds of ripped albums ago; not exactly something I’d like to retry, except as a very last resort).

Nope, just 16GB out of 128GB in use, so that’s not it (though I hoped it would have been, coz that’d been an easy fix).
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Only other thing I can suggest is to make sure the iPad is connecting to the 2.4 GHz network rather than the 5 GHz. Other than that it does seem rather odd
Userlevel 2
Only other thing I can suggest is to make sure the iPad is connecting to the 2.4 GHz network rather than the 5 GHz. Other than that it does seem rather odd

Wifi network was already on 2.4 GHz, so that wasn’t it either.

So, I’ve been trying out some things. Once I open the ipad app after a while, it won’t show the album art. But then, when I update the music library in settings, the album art of all the albums all come up, and pretty darn fast too. I would imagine that perhaps I’ve awoken the NAS out of sleep mode this way, and that that’s where the solution has to be sought. But again this doesn’t explain the difference with the iphone app, where the album art loads without the extra effort of updating the music library...
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
It might be worth submitting a diagnostic number into this thread after you have tried to view an album artwork on your iPad. Sonos might be able to see something.

Cookie policy

We use cookies to enhance and personalize your experience. If you accept you agree to our full cookie policy. Learn more about our cookies.

Accept cookies Cookie settings