Album art - Iphone

• 28 October 2008
  • 15 replies

Userlevel 2
Hello,

Sorry for my bad English.

50% of my album art does not appear on my iphone. It works great on my CR100, desktop app, in Itunes and on my ipod. All my art is embedded in the song with the same technique in Itunes. It appears randomly. It can be a apple lossless file or an mp3. All art is max. 600x600.

Is there someone with the same problem?

Thanks for help

SL

15 replies

Userlevel 2
We put a cap of 250k size limit on the art used with the iPhone application. This was due to technical reasons. You may see art that works on the CR100 and does not work on the iPod.

-Jason
Userlevel 2
Thanks for the very quick answer.

Will this size limit change in the future or do i have to replace all my art? If so, can you recommend a good application for reduce the art?

Thanks,

SL
I can very much recommend MPTAG (www.mp3tag.de/en/) as I have used this for several years. You can extract the art from this resize it and drag it back in again. Totally free and easy to use.

Good luck.

Mike
Userlevel 2
What is the file format your art is in? JPG, PNG, BMP, etc? I tested quite a few of these prior to launch without too much trouble.

As for the future, it's possible this may change.

-Jason
Userlevel 2
Most art is in JPG and BMP. Some of them are over 2MB. It remains 700-800kb when i resize to 500x500 or less. Is there a program where you can set the maximum size (in kb) and still have good quality?
sl999,

Most of the graphics editors that I have used allow the user to specify a "quality" level when saving a file. You'll need to experiment with a given program and your images before settling on the best approach.

Be careful as you trim your files. I'd hate to see you throw away image detail that you may want later for a future generation controller or another application. An easy solution if you use the "folder.jpg" type of artwork is to copy the original file to "original.jpg" before trimming "folder.jpg".
Userlevel 2
My tag-S/W takes care of this problem. Tagged a 7mb file to a 3-disc album with no problem and high quality.
Userlevel 2
I would keep the originals but convert the BMP's to JPG's. Even at high quality 500x500 shouldn't be too big.

-Jason
Userlevel 2
I would keep the originals but convert the BMP's to JPG's. Even at high quality 500x500 shouldn't be too big.

Don't count on that! My art is all JPEGs, mostly 565x558 pixels (the size of a CD booklet at 240dpi), and the majority of it is well over 250kb when compressed using a high quality JPEG setting. I get perhaps one piece of art in 10 appearing on my iPhone controller.
Userlevel 2
Is there an album art file size limit for the cr200? Currently my album art works on my cr100 but not on my ipod touch. All my album art files are over the 250k limit for the ipod touch. Thanks.
phillipjr,

As long as resolution is limited to 1024x1024, I am not aware of any file size limit for the CR200.
Userlevel 6
Badge +13
I have album art that won't show up on the iTouch but shows no problem using the PC Desktop Controller. The art is just a file called folder.jpg in each of the folders. It tends to be 200x200 and around 10 - 20kb. Most art is fine but it's those annoying little blue squares next to some albums I'm trying to get rid of..
Any ideas?
Most art is fine but it's those annoying little blue squares next to some albums I'm trying to get rid of..
Any ideas?

Sometimes Sonos objects to certain jpgs (there are various threads about this if you care to search the forum).

It's been suggested that opening and re-saving the jpg using a common image editor (such as IrfanView) can often clear the problem.

HTH
Userlevel 6
Badge +13
Cheers - will try irfanview. Have already tried PaintShopPro.
You may need to play with the jpg save options in IrfanView if a straight open/save doesn't work.

Cookie policy

We use cookies to enhance and personalize your experience. If you accept you agree to our full cookie policy. Learn more about our cookies.

Accept cookies Cookie settings