Answered

Alarm volume not same on all grouped speakers

• 3 September 2021
  • 5 replies

Normally the alarm volume has propagated to all players in a group that is set to alarm, but this time one player reverted to last level.

I sent a diag about 10 minutes after this happened, 884414119 don’t know if this still is valid.

icon

Best answer by Corry P 3 September 2021, 13:32

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Filippe 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

In your diagnostic, only two of the three speakers listed are grouped together and both have the same volume. I can only presume the “Sovrum K” room (ungrouped) has a different volume as it’s not included in the group.

Additionally, there are 2 Play:1s that are offline - are they powered off?

The speaker not in the group may have been temporarily offline at the moment of the alarm - I see evidence of disconnects. I recommend you wire any one Sonos device permanently to your network so it will create a mesh just for Sonos. This may also help the two missing speakers, if they’re not just off.

Changing the following settings on your UniFi system may also help:

• In the Settings tab, click Wireless Networks.
  • Click Edit next to the network SSID.
  • Expand Advanced Options.
  • Uncheck Block LAN to WLAN Multicast and Broadcast Data.
  • In the Settings tab, click Sites.
  • Disable Auto-Optimize Network.

I hope this helps.

Hi, thanks for your reply.

Firstly, the two play:1’s are just powered off since they go outside mostly.

The one speaker that got the wrong volume was the one called “Kök”, the other two “Sovrum F” and ”Badrum” worked as expected. Could you give me some more feedback regarding the disconnects?

All the settings in UniFi are already as requested.

Thank you 

all the best

Filippe Åhlund

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Filippe 

No room called “Kök” was in the diagnostic - it must have disconnected.

Many routers, but not all, transmit their WiFi on both 2.4 & 5 GHz and if both frequencies have the same broadcasted network name (SSID), then they can typically use “band steering” whereby the router will determine that the connecting device has a 5 GHz radio and will try to connect to the device over 5 GHz. With some Sonos (and the IKEA) products the 5GHz radio is reserved for Home Theatre satellite mode, so when the router tries to get the speaker to connect to 5 GHz, it refuses the connection. Eventually, the device will get connected to 2.4 GHz. 

To prevent this, there are two options - split your 2.4 & 5 GHz bands so they no longer have the same SSID (just adding “-5” to the end of the 5 GHz SSID will do) and making sure you don’t let Sonos know the 5 GHz credentials. You will need to teach laptops/phones/tablets the new details for the best connection speeds. Or, connect 1 Sonos device to ethernet permanently - it will create a WiFi mesh just for Sonos, with each connecting speaker being an additional WiFi node in the mesh.

Hi, none of those options are of any interest of mine since it has worked flawlessly this far.

It is really weird that this happened, it has always worked flawlessly as I said, I haven’t used it in a while during summer. When did last update push out? Have it set to autoupdate.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Filippe 

There was a recent update, but we didn’t change anything about how we connect - it was likely just the reboot that happened after the update that caused a delay in reconnecting.