Alarm radio station playing badly.

• 18 November 2020
  • 7 replies

Hi,

I have used a Sonos Play:1 for some years now, but when I moved to a new house my Play:1 hasn’t worked properly with alarms since, while with playbacks of all kinds (streaming or from external media such as external hard disk connected to router) it has been doing great.

I have searched and read many topics on this and tried rebooting my router, checking wi-fi signal in the house (very good, it’s a small flat on just one level), changing channels (both SonosNet’s and router’s, tried 1, 6 and 11), changing stations (Sonos Radio instead of TuneIn), but nothing seems to solve this.

In the old house I used also a Bridge, so I tried to use that again but to no avail. I updated Play:1 to Sonos S2 app but also this wasn’t useful.

The thing I cannot explain to myself is, that while radio stations start playing when I set the alarm (usually in the morning, say, at 7.30am), they very frequently stutter, or stop altogether, sometimes some minutes later, sometimes even half an hour or one hour later. When I get to the speaker, press the button and so start the manual playback, everything works perfectly without any delay or silence for hours.

I guess it isn’t a network problem, but something related to the functioning of the Alarm setting in the Sonos software.

I use the Android app on my phone (which runs Android 7) and the iOS app on my iPad mini (latest OS running). Sometimes I have installed also the PC app on my laptop but now I removed it.

On 17 november I sent diagnostics just after this problem showed again, the confirmation number was 518427892.

can someone help me with this?

Thanks in advance,

Giordano

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +16

Hi @giordanov, Thank you for reaching out, and welcome to the community. Sorry to hear about this issue on your Alarm, Radio station not working properly. Thanks as well for sending a diagnostic report of your Sonos system. Upon checking the report, It shows that your Sonos Play 1 is not getting enough bandwidth signal, The audio feed is too slow to allow the Sonos player to maintain reliable playback of the audio source, so playback has stopped (and maybe attempting to skip to other tracks in the queue.) I’ll have some things for you to check for this issue. 

Kindly check this article about Reducing wireless interference on Sonos and Music service audio stops or skips for some troubleshooting steps for this issue. 

Let us know what you have in mind with the advice above.

The Sonos community is always here to help.

Hi, @Simon B,

Thank you for all your support.

I have tried many times the solutions you propose but it still doesn’t work.

Anyway, I tried to do all the operations suggested in the threads you linked. I also changed the service where the radio station I listen to (RAI Radio 2, it’s the Italian national broadcaster, not a local radio). I used TuneIn or Sonos Radio, but found out that RAI uses Radioplayer, so I switched to it, and also changed the router channel to 11 while SonosNet channel is 6. If possible, the situation is even worse now because not only it stops when playing Alarm, but also when reproducing normal playback, a thing it didn’t use to do.

In my view, it cannot possibly be a question of poor signal, because it didn’t work even when I put the router in the corridor and the Play 1 in the room with nothing in the middle to obstruct and a distance of 3 meters tops (9 feet).

I sent 3 diagnostics minutes ago (with Play 1 provisionally connected via ethernet): 1105494990, 332874493, 903884483.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Giordano

Userlevel 6
Badge +16

Hi @giordanov, thanks for the update and for all the information that you provided. Upon checking the diagnostic report, it shows that there are audio dropouts and interference detected on your Sonos system even on the hardwired connections. We’ll take this further, I'll ask you to kindly contact our phone support team for further assistance and more in-depth troubleshooting steps.  

Keep me in the know with the advice above.

We're here to answer any further questions you have.

Hi, @Simon B, I called the phone support and they patiently listened to my problems. They said they’ll forward my issue to the engineers because the syntax of the URL RAI Radio 2 streams looks very strange and the diagnostics of the radio stream via TuneIn reports errors in the trasmission.

They couldn’t say if this is because of the DNS, or because of an incorrect stream syintax on the part of the broadcaster (RAI in this case), so I’m waiting for a message from them.

I’ll let you know if this gets sorted out.

Userlevel 6
Badge +16

Hello there @giordanov, thanks for the update. Let’s wait for the update from our engineers for investigation. If there is anything else I can do for you, please, don’t hesitate to let me know.

We're here to answer any further questions you have.

Hi, @Simon B ,

just to say that the problem hasn’t stopped and I haven’t got any reply from Sonos engineers yet, either.

Still waiting…

Giordano

Userlevel 6
Badge +16

Hi @giordanov, thanks for the update and I apologize that this is still an ongoing issue. Kindly send me a private message so that I can have this further checked with a case ticket. 

Keep us posted on how it goes and we're here to answer any further questions you have.