Question

Alarm playing wrong radio station

• 8 September 2020
  • 13 replies

My Sonos alarm has started playing random radio stations instead of the one it is set to!

I have the alarm set to be BBC Radio 6 Music. but some mornings it plays Radio 2, othertimes Radio 4 and last week Heart FM.

On each occasion the app on my phone says it’s BBC Radio 6 Music, but that’s not what’s playing. If I stop the radio and then just press play again a bit later, it plays whatever radio station it was playing earlier, whilst saying it’s Radio 6.

It’s very strange and annoying! Any suggestions?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

13 replies

Here the same in the Netherlands.

Alarm station is set to 3FM but random dutch station are playing at alarm.

Actually the stations name is “NPO 3FM” but that's not a choice only 3FM in the list.

Old station logo in player.

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Hi @GarvanIrl, welcome to the Sonos Community, and thanks for reaching out here. I’d be glad to help and confirm if the station you set working when playing manually in the Sonos app? Have you tried a different station or service if that will work with your Alarm? Keep us posted here. We and the community are always here to help.

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Hi @fintrepid, thanks for reaching out here with us and sharing your feedback. We’ll continue to work with that. Just let us know if you need anything. We and the community are always here to help.

...and this morning the correct radio station 🤦

I recently began to have this issue. On a pre-set alarm, Sonos chime would  play instead of a radio station. I was using the Tune In radio service and changed to Sonos Radio. This worked for a few days and then reverted to the same problem.

I stop the chime physically on the Play 1 and then  use the app to select a radio station.

Any suggestions?

Chime in both (bedroom & kitchen) alarms this morning 🤷

Hi

It’s totally random.  I have a Sonos One in my office, a Play 1 in my bedroom and kitchen and a beam and 2xOne’s in the TV room.  

At times one room will be on the app and the others have disappeared

Sometimes volume control doesn’t work or radio station/song won’t change when selected…..

This morning the alarm worked as programmed i.e. the correct radio station came on

Other mornings it’s the Sonos Chime or a different radio station

Oh and sometimes the app displays the correct station but it’s playing another….

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Hi @ekeeman, thanks for the details and appreciate that you prefer to use the Sonos Radio. We also apologize for the inconvenience and just to let you know that we are always working to improve the experience and we are working hard to resolve this issue. For now, use the TuneIn service or any other services applicable to your region if your preferred station is not working well with the Sonos Radio. 

Let us know if you still need anything. We and the community are always here to help.

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Hi @ekeeman, thanks for your reply. It’s great that it works with TuneIn now. Is the radio station that you set in TuneIn that did work is the same station you set in Sonos Radio? What do you mean unsorted? Is it in Sonos Radio as well? 

Keep us posted here. We and the community are always here to help.

Yes the same station, maybe with a different name in the picklist. In tunein it is it's official name “NPO 3FM” in Sonos it's "3FM” in the picklist. 

The picklist is unsorted. Sometimes there are a lot of stations to choose from, if those stations were sorted bij name they are easy to find in large lists.

I don't think it's great for sonos that is works with tunein. It should work with sonos' own radio service.

On my sonos system i would prefer Sonos Radio better than Tunein.

I have this exact issue with BBC radio 6 via Sonos radio for my daily alarm. Some mornings it plays a totally random station but shows that it’s playing BBC radio 6. I’ve had this consistently since switching to Sonos radio.

Thanks for the suggestion of using tunein directly rather than Sonos Radio. I’ll give that a try but it would be great if this bug could be finally fixed.

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Hi @pswinny and @ekeeman, welcome to the Sonos Community! 

Thanks for bringing this up and I’ll be happy to help. 

Can you please check what music service are you using when setting a Sonos alarm? Is it also okay if you try to check it with a different music service to isolate the problem? 

Submit a diagnostic report of your system to further check it on our end and reply to us with the confirmation number.

Just let us know. We greatly appreciate you being a part of the Sonos family. It is our pleasure.

Problems were with sonos Radio.

Now I use Tunein for setting the alarm for a radio station, and it looks like problem solved.

Also a bad thing that Radio statons are unsorted in picklists.