Question

Alarm playback is chime and not MoodMix content

• 19 September 2019
  • 3 replies

The past two morning alarms our speakers have not played our MoodMix content but have played the alarm chime... We are running the SONOS app on a Windows 10 virtual machine on the same network as all of our wired speakers. The issue with the alarm chime happens every once in a while. It had been working great for a few weeks but now is happening again. Does the SONOS app have to be running? My understanding is that no, it does not and can be closed since the info is all on the SONOS cloud. At least it seems to work that way... What can we do to ensure that the alarms play the MoodMix content and not somehow lose connection with that and default to the chime?

3 replies

No, the Sonos app is only a remote control, which is used to tell the software/firmware on the speakers what to do. You can close the controller, and the alarm will continue to work.

There is no "Sonos cloud". There is only the data stored on your speakers.

Generally speaking, when an alarm plays the chime, rather than the designated data, it means that at the moment the alarm kicked off, the Sonos speaker was unable to reach that source. Rather than failing to silence, it plays the chime. Sometimes, that failure can be part of wifi interference. Or it could be the device where the data lies is asleep (say on a hard drive on a computer), or it could be a DNS failure somewhere in the internet causing the location to not be reachable, at that moment, for the speaker, or it could even be the servers for that company are temporarily down. That's a lot of options, and hard to tell, anecdotally. The next time it happens, submit a system diagnostic within 10 minutes of the failure, and either post the number here, or contact Sonos Support to discuss it.

I usually suggest the phone folks, they have more tools available, but are only available Monday through Friday during business hours. Both the Twitter and Facebook support folks are available 24/7.

There would likely be information included in the diagnostic that will help Sonos pinpoint the issue and help you find a solution.
Thanks for the quick reply.. we actually have all of our speakers wired to avoid and wifi issues...
The controller is on a VM which does not go to sleep. We have 3 different locations setup the same way.. this site is constantly the only site with this issue. Once in a very rare while we will experience this at another site.. but today was the third day in a row. Unfortunately I was not here at 7am to grab the diagnostics but will see what happens Monday morning. This morning I used the replace menu and reentered my Moodmedia account info.. went back to the alarms and chose the lobby mix again... and then manually started the music for the office.. we will see. Reentering the service info can help at times as well. We do have one site using Amazon music instead of MoodMedia and this almost never goes down like this. Perhaps the issue is that Mood Mix is having issues? But how likely would that happen 4 days in a row... not to mention my other site using Mood and has the same alarm and mix and it has worked all week..
The only sure thing we know is that at the moment the alarm went off, the speaker was unable to reach the source specified in the alarm’s set up. So there are a lot of possibilities working backwards from that, but it is good that WiFi interference isn’t one of them.

The next thing i would be checking is for a duplicate IP address issue, which is unfortunately hard to actually “check”. For, but easier to test to see if a temporary fix works.

Unplug all your Sonos devices from power, no need to remove the Ethernet cable. Then reboot your router. Once the router has finished rebooting, plug the Sonos devices back in to the power.

Test....I guess by waiting a day or two by seeing if the alarm fails again. If it doesn’t, then that would be a good indicator to suggest the need to set up reserved IP addresses in your router’s DHCP table.

Note that this kind of issue is most often exposed when there is an update from Sonos, due to the fact that the speakers do a soft reboot, and request a new IP address. If the router has lost its place in the table, it can sometimes hand out duplicates.