Answered

Alarm chime plays instead of selected radio station

My Sonos speakers play the alarm chime instead of the radio station that is set every single morning when it is set to begin playing. I tried changing the time of turn on and again it did the same thing. Have tried deleting all the alarms and creating new ones, and still the same issue occurs.

Confirmation number is 1912122783
icon

Best answer by Jeff S 26 June 2019, 20:29

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

60 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi folks,

The issue causing the chime to play instead of TuneIn stations should now be resolved. If you continue to have any issues, please submit a diagnostic report, then reach out to our phone team. You can find our contact information here.
Userlevel 3
Badge +3
I too am now in contact with Sonos Support about this issue and yesterday they suggested deleting and re-setting the alarm but instead of selecting the Radio station from those saved in ‘My Sonos’ to go back into TuneIn and select it afresh from there. I followed this advice, not only deleting the alarm in question but also all previous alarms I had set that were no longer in use. This morning the alarm worked perfectly, playing BBC Radio 4. However as this has been an intermittent problem over the past few weeks it would be premature to believe that it has been resolved just because it has worked today so I have agreed to monitor the situation and submit regular diagnostic reports.

An alternative potential fix they suggested was to add the Music Service Radioplayer and then re-set the alarm choosing the Radio Station from the Radioplayer’s A-Z list. I agreed to try this should re-setting using TuneIn not work.

Radioplayer is available to UK Sonos users but I believe it is not available in all countries.
I too am now in contact with Sonos Support about this issue and yesterday they suggested deleting and re-setting the alarm but instead of selecting the Radio station from those saved in ‘My Sonos’ to go back into TuneIn and select it afresh from there. I followed this advice, not only deleting the alarm in question but also all previous alarms I had set that were no longer in use. This morning the alarm worked perfectly, playing BBC Radio 4. However as this has been an intermittent problem over the past few weeks it would be premature to believe that it has been resolved just because it has worked today so I have agreed to monitor the situation and submit regular diagnostic reports.

An alternative potential fix they suggested was to add the Music Service Radioplayer and then re-set the alarm choosing the Radio Station from the Radioplayer’s A-Z list. I agreed to try this should re-setting using TuneIn not work.

Radioplayer is available to UK Sonos users but I believe it is not available in all countries.

FIXED! Thank you. Seems it’s just TuneIn that is the problem. Just change the radio source to another service and it all works now for first time in a week (myTuner radio seems to work for me).
Userlevel 5
Badge +7
This does NOT stream:
BBC Radio 6 on laptop via Tune-In Website (as expect as per the BBC Blog)
BBC Radio 6 on Sonos via Alexa Integration on Sonos (doesn't find station)

This DOES stream BBC Radio 6 on Sonos:
BBC Radio 6 on Sonos via Tune-In using Sonos App
BBC Radio 6 on Sonos via Tune-In using Google Assistant

As the alarms are set using the Sonos App, I assume this is a supported stream.

Maybe I need a 'Google Assistant' Alexa Skill, ie I tell Alexa to tell Google to tell Sonos to tell Tune-In to stream Radio 6 ?? 🙂
Fixed here too using Radioplayer in the UK instead of TuneIn. Thank you - the chime has been frustrating me for weeks!!
Userlevel 3
Badge +3
I too have this problem intermittently and it’s driving me mad. I have a BT hub router which seems to ‘snooze’ when not in continuous use and I was wondering if that might be the cause?
Chime does not give second chances, it will not check back to see if the station has started.
Userlevel 3
Badge +3
Email Sonos support, tell them your problem and give them the diagnostic number
Nope, my 'music' alarms here are still working just fine and no problem again this morning. Only time I’ve seen such issues mentioned in the community previously, has mostly been down to WiFi interference and so perhaps these two links below might be helpful to resolve the matter.

WiFi Interference

Network Stability
Same issue here. Since a week or two, all alarms come on as sonos chime. I have tried the 5 minute silent alarm trick and no luck.

Not just BBC in my case, it also happen with Dutch local radio.

If I manually select a radio station after the chime, it playable instantly.

This is is seriously frustrating.
Same problem here. Chime instead of radio. The good part is, that I wake up immediately because I hate the chime sound.
Userlevel 3
Badge +3
Their diagnosis of the Sonos system not being able to get access to the internet immediately the alarm is triggered is exactly what I thought might be the case when making my initial post re my BT Hub which I believe snoozes. The intermittency of the problem could be because on some days the Hub is active due to a prompt from some other application, hopefully routine and not sinister. I’m not an IT expert so this is pure hypothesis on my part. I will follow your advice from Sonos and set up another alarm. If that does indeed solve the problem then hopefully Sonos will be able to design an update that will itself trigger a pre alarm “wake up” as they describe it?

With regard to the alarm triggering not only the selected speaker but the others to which it is grouped, albeit whilst the alarmed speaker plays the Radio the others resume playing the queue, this I’m guessing is due to the ‘include grouped speakers’ function not working as it should. I have the ‘include grouped speakers’ option switched ‘off’ in the alarm set-up process. Normally if I am listening to the queue in the late evening I have the speakers all grouped together. Before I go to bed I would then ungroup them leaving just the bedroom speaker playing the queue and would set the sleep timer for 1 hour. However, if I am not listening to the queue in the late evening and leave all the speakers paused but still grouped when I go to bed, those rarer occasions seem to be the ones when the following morning the alarm triggers the whole system. However, I am sure that this has not been an issue historically.

My other weird issues with my Sonos system continue however; related to the alarm or not I don’t know. Last night for instance I updated my music library having made a few minor changes to it and half way through the process 2 speakers dropped out of the grouping, can’t recall that ever happening before. A few days ago it re-instated a queue on one of the speakers that I am sure I had ‘cleared’ ages ago. I am a longstanding Sonos user having had my system for about 9 years and in all honesty I have never had so many mysterious issues with it as I have been occurring over recent weeks.
Hi all,

I texted support via Facebook Messenger this morning to report the same. They replied within an hour with the following:

"Thanks, Trevor. We've had a look at your diagnostic report and we can confirm that you're one of a number of customers experiencing this issue. We're actively working with TuneIn in order to resolve this. Thanks for your patience"
craigski,

See this link regarding our earlier discussion:

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2019/10/01/bbc_tunein_radio_streams_pulled/

Particularly note the section that talks about alarms from the 30th September. It seems you were right.
Userlevel 5
Badge +7
Me too. I have 2 alarms in different rooms, one at 6am one at 7am. 90% of time I get Chime instead of BBC Radio 6. If I stop the chime and play the radio station immediately after chime plays it always plays radio station.

I have just logged ticket with Sonos, one of their staff also seeing same issue. They have advised me to try a different radio station for new few days.
ha ha !! .. just for your info BBC Radio 6 (from tune-in) via the Google Assistant voice service installed on Sonos is working here okay.

It’s just Amazon that needs to sort A few things at their end, but that perhaps still doesn’t explain your intermittent alarm failing issues?
Userlevel 5
Badge +7
I would assume that BBC has made some changes on their network infrastructure, and possibly Tune-In, to restrict access by filtering on application, IP, country etc. This could possibly have affected the streaming as they implemented these changes.

I also still believe that there will be a peak request for streams on the hour for BBC services, with many smart devices that have synchronised time having alarms set on the hour, 6, 7, 8 am in UK.

A combination of the above, has made Sonos alarms unreliable (for me).
Userlevel 3
Badge +3
Yes, I can confirm that my alarm is working properly again using TuneIn. It wasn’t the BT Hub snoozing as I’d initially thought but a TuneIn problem being encountered by a number of Sonos users and which Sonos has sorted out with TuneIn.

My other mysterious issues were sorted out too - the diagnostic report indicated one of my speakers was running out of memory. A system re-boot and change of channel suggested by Sonos Support eventually sorted that out.

The issue I had when trying to resume playing a paused queue, where I would get an ‘access to music denied’ message whilst the system scrolled through tracks until it could regain access, turned out to be because my Mac has an energy saving setting that turns off hard drives whenever possible (including my external HDD where my music was located). Simply unchecking a box in the Energy Saving settings resolved that. Again I had initially thought it was a problem with the BT Hub snoozing but it wasn’t.

So, sorry BT and thanks Sonos.
Userlevel 5
Badge +7
Update from Sonos support: They said they are aware of alarm issue sometimes defaulting to chimes, and asked me to try adding a Radio Station using a URL, the URLs for BBC are listed on this website:

https://www.astra2sat.com/radio/bbc-radio/bbc-radio-mp3-streams/

I just added a new station called 'BBC Radio 6 URL' on Sonos with the appropriate URL from above link, and added new Alarms with this new station.
The more hard data that you can give Sonos, the better they'll be able to track down the issue. WIthin 10 minutes of the alarm playing the chime, submit a system diagnostic and post the number here.
Userlevel 3
Badge +3
Mine did the chimes again all last week, but has been fine so far this week. I did notice the lock screen on my phone now changes with the alarm, to show what is playing and the option to snooze or turn off the alarm. I believe that's new - I've never seen it before in 3+ years of using the alarm.
Same issue here. Since a week or two, all alarms come on as sonos chime. I have tried the 5 minute silent alarm trick and no luck.

Not just BBC in my case, it also happen with Dutch local radio.

If I manually select a radio station after the chime, it playable instantly.

This is is seriously frustrating.

same problem here. Radio station not found. Maybe due to iPad iOS update last week ?
Userlevel 3
Badge +3
For the past 2 mornings the alarm came on with Radio just as it should, but today music started playing from the queue in all the Grouped rooms a couple of minutes after the alarm. I have checked (again) that the ‘include grouped rooms’ option is switched off. I have the Sonos controller on my 2010 Mac Mini, my iPad and my iPhone and the problems seem (only seem) to be exacerbated if I use more than one controller during the evening so could this be part of the problem. All 3 controllers are updated.
Userlevel 5
Badge +7
I am seeing same issue since upgrading to 10.4, before 10.4 alarms have worked well since the fix in June. Since upgrading to 10.4, I get chimes 95% of time for alarms in early morning @ 6:00 and @ 7:00 in different rooms. No internet issues. I suspect the issue is Sonos and/or Tune-In servers as before, that was fixed in June.
craigski,

My Alarms have been working okay since the update, so it is unlikely to be the software. I would perhaps look to submit a Sonos Diagnostic and note the reference here and then speak with Customer Care.

A WiFi interference issue may have absolutely no bearing on how your internet, or other network devices are presently working.