Answered

Alarm chime plays instead of selected radio station

My Sonos speakers play the alarm chime instead of the radio station that is set every single morning when it is set to begin playing. I tried changing the time of turn on and again it did the same thing. Have tried deleting all the alarms and creating new ones, and still the same issue occurs.

Confirmation number is 1912122783
icon

Best answer by Jeff S 26 June 2019, 20:29

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

60 replies

craigski,

Just a ‘final’ update .. no issues with my 8am Sonos Alarm too date. Tried various radio stations including BBC Radio stations and Smooth FM UK and no problems.

Didn’t get the Chime at all.

All the best. 👍
Userlevel 5
Badge +7
UPDATE: Since I manually added BBC Radio station using the direct stream URLs (ie bypassing the TuneIn service), I have had 100% success with Sonos Alarms, no chimes in 7 days with 2 alarms per day.

I used tested the feeds as per above link, but found this link has 320k feeds listed, so I used those instead:

http://www.radiofeeds.co.uk/other.asp

I'm still using 10.4, have not updated 10.4.2, I will wait for more feed back before updating.
Userlevel 5
Badge +7
Update from Sonos support: They said they are aware of alarm issue sometimes defaulting to chimes, and asked me to try adding a Radio Station using a URL, the URLs for BBC are listed on this website:

https://www.astra2sat.com/radio/bbc-radio/bbc-radio-mp3-streams/

I just added a new station called 'BBC Radio 6 URL' on Sonos with the appropriate URL from above link, and added new Alarms with this new station.
Userlevel 5
Badge +7
I would assume that BBC has made some changes on their network infrastructure, and possibly Tune-In, to restrict access by filtering on application, IP, country etc. This could possibly have affected the streaming as they implemented these changes.

I also still believe that there will be a peak request for streams on the hour for BBC services, with many smart devices that have synchronised time having alarms set on the hour, 6, 7, 8 am in UK.

A combination of the above, has made Sonos alarms unreliable (for me).
ha ha !! .. just for your info BBC Radio 6 (from tune-in) via the Google Assistant voice service installed on Sonos is working here okay.

It’s just Amazon that needs to sort A few things at their end, but that perhaps still doesn’t explain your intermittent alarm failing issues?
Userlevel 5
Badge +7
This does NOT stream:
BBC Radio 6 on laptop via Tune-In Website (as expect as per the BBC Blog)
BBC Radio 6 on Sonos via Alexa Integration on Sonos (doesn't find station)

This DOES stream BBC Radio 6 on Sonos:
BBC Radio 6 on Sonos via Tune-In using Sonos App
BBC Radio 6 on Sonos via Tune-In using Google Assistant

As the alarms are set using the Sonos App, I assume this is a supported stream.

Maybe I need a 'Google Assistant' Alexa Skill, ie I tell Alexa to tell Google to tell Sonos to tell Tune-In to stream Radio 6 ?? 🙂
craigski,

Yes, the radio 1 alarm worked for me again too this morning.

It seems the ‘Tune-In switch off’ by the BBC is affecting the Amazon Alexa service, so there’s not a lot Sonos can do about that, other than raise the matter with Amazon.

Hopefully Amazon will get the matter resolved soon.

On a side note, I didn’t realise just how poor BBC Radio 1 can be at 8am in the morning. It was childish rubbish on there this morning. Perhaps I’m just getting too old for that station? 🙂
Userlevel 5
Badge +7
Yes, ticket opened with support on 26/9.

FWIW - both BBC alarms worked today @6:00 & @7:00.

However, I can now not play BBC Radio 6 on Sonos using Alexa, it does not find the station.

I agree, as you suggest, may be due to 'teething' problems with systems that are now filtering BBC streams, based on device, application, location, etc
Thank you Ken. It would be good if someone from Sonos can clarify, I am still waiting for Sonos support to review the diagnostics I sent to them 5 days ago.
Did you raise a support ticket with Sonos, aswell as submitting your diagnostic? If not, you may need to do that via this Customer Care link

At the moment however, before you do that, I understand that the BBC Service “switch off” from TuneIn only happened on the 30th September and there is some suggestion that whilst there are perhaps a few 'teething' issues, that it should not eventually affect Sonos users, based on what was mentioned In this official BBC article/announcement:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/aboutthebbc/entries/37e4e3f6-fbd2-4c14-8d72-7f7139641582

So my thoughts are that it maybe a case of perhaps just seeing how your Alarms work with other (non-BBC) radio stations in the coming days and then switch back and see if BBC/Tune-in/Sonos/Amazon/Google have managed to iron out the issues that 'may' have arisen as a result of the BBC pulling the plug.

Hope that info assists.
Userlevel 5
Badge +7
Thank you Ken. It would be good if someone from Sonos can clarify, I am still waiting for Sonos support to review the diagnostics I sent to them 5 days ago.
craigski,

See this link regarding our earlier discussion:

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2019/10/01/bbc_tunein_radio_streams_pulled/

Particularly note the section that talks about alarms from the 30th September. It seems you were right.
craigski,

Just as a temporary measure, to eliminate the BBC/Tune-In contractual issues, perhaps try different radio stations that are not linked to the BBC. At least that way you maybe able to get closer to the main cause of your issues.

You will at least know whether or not it 'might' be related to the ongoing dispute with the BBC, or if you perhaps have an intermittent connection issue to your devices, often caused by WiFi interference in a good many cases.

Another 3rd party radio station as a temporary measure is where I would choose to go next with this.
Userlevel 5
Badge +7
My 'BBC Radio 6 Music' worked @ 6:00 in bedroom
My 'BBC Radio 6 Music' failed with chimes in Kitchen @ 7:00

Interesting, when I get chimes, I nornally use Alexa Sonos Integration to play Radio. When I tried to play 'BBC radio 6 Music' on Sonos via Alexa integration in Kitchen today I got a pre-recorded message:

"Thank you for choosing to listen to bbc radio on the internet. Unfortunately the current program on this station is unavailable. This is either due to contractual reasons or a temporary technical fault. Please try again later.
"

However 'BBC Radio 6 Music' played OK using the Sonos App in Kitchen.

Sonos diag for today #1721701557.
craigski,

The Radio-1 alarm worked fine this morning and woke me up at 8am to twenty one pilots playing ‘stressed out’, but let’s see how it goes in the coming days.
craigski,

Yes, its a possibility perhaps, but I read that the issue between the BBC and Tune-In was not going to affect customers that access their BBC stations via Tune-In, using 3rd party Apps like Sonos, but will just see what actually happens with the Radio 1 akarm and if there are issues I may also go onto try the ‘Smooth Radio’ station too.

I will definitely let you know how it goes.
Userlevel 5
Badge +7
Thank you Ken. I just stumbled across this article:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/aboutthebbc/entries/37e4e3f6-fbd2-4c14-8d72-7f7139641582

I wonder if this could be affecting the alarms?
@Ken_Griffiths You say your 'music' alarms are working fine. Are these Tune-In radio streams and are the alarms on the hour?

Mine have been working fine since the fix by Sonos in June, but the issue has re-appeared since I upgraded to 10.4.

I have 2 alarms, 6:00 and 7:00, both Tune-In, both often go to chimes, sometimes just one will go to chime.

Reading the above, I still believe its a Sonos and/or Tune-In server issue. If all the Sonos systems around the world are using NTP, and we assume most alarms are 'on the hour', there will be 100's possible 1000's of Tune-In request streams at *exactly* the same time.

Still waiting for Sonos support to look at my diagnostic #1597316098

I was using my own ‘favourite’ streaming music playlist, but I will try and help out here by switching our alarm over to Tune-in (BBC Radio 1) for tomorrow at exactly 8am and let you know how it goes over the next few days.
Userlevel 5
Badge +7
@Ken_Griffiths You say your 'music' alarms are working fine. Are these Tune-In radio streams and are the alarms on the hour?

Mine have been working fine since the fix by Sonos in June, but the issue has re-appeared since I upgraded to 10.4.

I have 2 alarms, 6:00 and 7:00, both Tune-In, both often go to chimes, sometimes just one will go to chime.

Reading the above, I still believe its a Sonos and/or Tune-In server issue. If all the Sonos systems around the world are using NTP, and we assume most alarms are 'on the hour', there will be 100's possible 1000's of Tune-In request streams at *exactly* the same time.

Still waiting for Sonos support to look at my diagnostic #1597316098
Badge +3
This morning the chime played instead of radio. Hopefully a one off...? Will monitor
It's unfortunate that the Sonos programmers designed the app to be so "end user friendly" (nothing at all to help people smart enough to understand basic cause and effect). If it's just a one-off, chances are it was that the station was being hit a lot at once. Set the alarm for 3-5 minutes before or after top-of-the-hour.

I'd pay real money if they'd just add a damn FM tuner. I have pocket MP3 players that are a decade old ore more, and they have this feature.
Nope, my 'music' alarms here are still working just fine and no problem again this morning. Only time I’ve seen such issues mentioned in the community previously, has mostly been down to WiFi interference and so perhaps these two links below might be helpful to resolve the matter.

WiFi Interference

Network Stability
Userlevel 4
Badge +2
FIXED! Thank you. Seems it’s just TuneIn that is the problem. Just change the radio source to another service and it all works now for first time in a week (myTuner radio seems to work for me).

I'm having the same symptoms and tried amending one alarm this morning (0550 hrs) from TuneIn to MyTuner Radio. I got the chime again 😞. An alarm a few minutes later (still TuneIn) worked fine. Just waiting to hear back from Sonos to see if they can tell from the diagnostic why I'm getting the chime on such a regular basis.
Badge +3

FIXED! Thank you. Seems it’s just TuneIn that is the problem. Just change the radio source to another service and it all works now for first time in a week (myTuner radio seems to work for me).

Don't be so quick to say it's fixed. You'll need at least a few days with repeated starts to make that assumption. Every time I tried something I thought fixed this same problem, it might or might not be fine for a day or three, then act up again. The "fix" so far has been twofold - first, do not set the alarm to the top of the hour - set it at least 2 minutes before or after. Second, set a second alarm 1-3 minutes later than the first, to do exactly the same thing.
Badge +3
Chime does not give second chances, it will not check back to see if the station has started.
Horrible, horrible design flaw. Lazy programming.
craigski,

My Alarms have been working okay since the update, so it is unlikely to be the software. I would perhaps look to submit a Sonos Diagnostic and note the reference here and then speak with Customer Care.

A WiFi interference issue may have absolutely no bearing on how your internet, or other network devices are presently working.
Userlevel 5
Badge +7
I am seeing same issue since upgrading to 10.4, before 10.4 alarms have worked well since the fix in June. Since upgrading to 10.4, I get chimes 95% of time for alarms in early morning @ 6:00 and @ 7:00 in different rooms. No internet issues. I suspect the issue is Sonos and/or Tune-In servers as before, that was fixed in June.