Answered

Alarm chime plays instead of selected radio station

My Sonos speakers play the alarm chime instead of the radio station that is set every single morning when it is set to begin playing. I tried changing the time of turn on and again it did the same thing. Have tried deleting all the alarms and creating new ones, and still the same issue occurs.

Confirmation number is 1912122783
icon

Best answer by Jeff S 26 June 2019, 20:29

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

60 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +3
I too am now in contact with Sonos Support about this issue and yesterday they suggested deleting and re-setting the alarm but instead of selecting the Radio station from those saved in ‘My Sonos’ to go back into TuneIn and select it afresh from there. I followed this advice, not only deleting the alarm in question but also all previous alarms I had set that were no longer in use. This morning the alarm worked perfectly, playing BBC Radio 4. However as this has been an intermittent problem over the past few weeks it would be premature to believe that it has been resolved just because it has worked today so I have agreed to monitor the situation and submit regular diagnostic reports.

An alternative potential fix they suggested was to add the Music Service Radioplayer and then re-set the alarm choosing the Radio Station from the Radioplayer’s A-Z list. I agreed to try this should re-setting using TuneIn not work.

Radioplayer is available to UK Sonos users but I believe it is not available in all countries.
I have been having this issue for the last couple of weeks. Alarms work with Spotify streams but not TuneIn radio (usually BBC 6Music for me). I thought this was the only source of streaming BBC radio but thanks to the above post I will try using the Radioplayer source instead and give this a try tomorrow.
I too am now in contact with Sonos Support about this issue and yesterday they suggested deleting and re-setting the alarm but instead of selecting the Radio station from those saved in ‘My Sonos’ to go back into TuneIn and select it afresh from there. I followed this advice, not only deleting the alarm in question but also all previous alarms I had set that were no longer in use. This morning the alarm worked perfectly, playing BBC Radio 4. However as this has been an intermittent problem over the past few weeks it would be premature to believe that it has been resolved just because it has worked today so I have agreed to monitor the situation and submit regular diagnostic reports.

An alternative potential fix they suggested was to add the Music Service Radioplayer and then re-set the alarm choosing the Radio Station from the Radioplayer’s A-Z list. I agreed to try this should re-setting using TuneIn not work.

Radioplayer is available to UK Sonos users but I believe it is not available in all countries.

FIXED! Thank you. Seems it’s just TuneIn that is the problem. Just change the radio source to another service and it all works now for first time in a week (myTuner radio seems to work for me).
Fixed here too using Radioplayer in the UK instead of TuneIn. Thank you - the chime has been frustrating me for weeks!!
My Sonos One kept dropping out to chimes, with Alexa taking on an American accent and informing me of being unable to answer anything.
Sonos drops to chimes if it loses internet connection, to ensure the alarm still plays.
It would seem Sonos One cannot stay WiFi connected to a BT Home Hub.
I have hard wired it and all is well now...
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi folks,

The issue causing the chime to play instead of TuneIn stations should now be resolved. If you continue to have any issues, please submit a diagnostic report, then reach out to our phone team. You can find our contact information here.
Userlevel 3
Badge +3
Yes, I can confirm that my alarm is working properly again using TuneIn. It wasn’t the BT Hub snoozing as I’d initially thought but a TuneIn problem being encountered by a number of Sonos users and which Sonos has sorted out with TuneIn.

My other mysterious issues were sorted out too - the diagnostic report indicated one of my speakers was running out of memory. A system re-boot and change of channel suggested by Sonos Support eventually sorted that out.

The issue I had when trying to resume playing a paused queue, where I would get an ‘access to music denied’ message whilst the system scrolled through tracks until it could regain access, turned out to be because my Mac has an energy saving setting that turns off hard drives whenever possible (including my external HDD where my music was located). Simply unchecking a box in the Energy Saving settings resolved that. Again I had initially thought it was a problem with the BT Hub snoozing but it wasn’t.

So, sorry BT and thanks Sonos.
Works fine again, thanks 😊
This morning the chime played instead of radio. Hopefully a one off...? Will monitor
Any time it plays a chime rather than the radio station, it is an indicator that at that moment, the speaker was unable to reach out and connect to the appropriate stream. It could be anything from the radio stations server being down for a moment, a DNS issue somewhere in the internet, or a problem in your local WiFi, due to wifi interference, or a duplicate IP address issue. You only have control over those last two possibilities.
Userlevel 5
Badge +7
I am seeing same issue since upgrading to 10.4, before 10.4 alarms have worked well since the fix in June. Since upgrading to 10.4, I get chimes 95% of time for alarms in early morning @ 6:00 and @ 7:00 in different rooms. No internet issues. I suspect the issue is Sonos and/or Tune-In servers as before, that was fixed in June.
craigski,

My Alarms have been working okay since the update, so it is unlikely to be the software. I would perhaps look to submit a Sonos Diagnostic and note the reference here and then speak with Customer Care.

A WiFi interference issue may have absolutely no bearing on how your internet, or other network devices are presently working.
Badge +3
Chime does not give second chances, it will not check back to see if the station has started.
Horrible, horrible design flaw. Lazy programming.
Badge +3

FIXED! Thank you. Seems it’s just TuneIn that is the problem. Just change the radio source to another service and it all works now for first time in a week (myTuner radio seems to work for me).

Don't be so quick to say it's fixed. You'll need at least a few days with repeated starts to make that assumption. Every time I tried something I thought fixed this same problem, it might or might not be fine for a day or three, then act up again. The "fix" so far has been twofold - first, do not set the alarm to the top of the hour - set it at least 2 minutes before or after. Second, set a second alarm 1-3 minutes later than the first, to do exactly the same thing.
Userlevel 4
Badge +2

I'm having the same symptoms and tried amending one alarm this morning (0550 hrs) from TuneIn to MyTuner Radio. I got the chime again 😞. An alarm a few minutes later (still TuneIn) worked fine. Just waiting to hear back from Sonos to see if they can tell from the diagnostic why I'm getting the chime on such a regular basis.
Nope, my 'music' alarms here are still working just fine and no problem again this morning. Only time I’ve seen such issues mentioned in the community previously, has mostly been down to WiFi interference and so perhaps these two links below might be helpful to resolve the matter.

WiFi Interference

Network Stability
Badge +3
This morning the chime played instead of radio. Hopefully a one off...? Will monitor
It's unfortunate that the Sonos programmers designed the app to be so "end user friendly" (nothing at all to help people smart enough to understand basic cause and effect). If it's just a one-off, chances are it was that the station was being hit a lot at once. Set the alarm for 3-5 minutes before or after top-of-the-hour.

I'd pay real money if they'd just add a damn FM tuner. I have pocket MP3 players that are a decade old ore more, and they have this feature.
Userlevel 5
Badge +7
@Ken_Griffiths You say your 'music' alarms are working fine. Are these Tune-In radio streams and are the alarms on the hour?

Mine have been working fine since the fix by Sonos in June, but the issue has re-appeared since I upgraded to 10.4.

I have 2 alarms, 6:00 and 7:00, both Tune-In, both often go to chimes, sometimes just one will go to chime.

Reading the above, I still believe its a Sonos and/or Tune-In server issue. If all the Sonos systems around the world are using NTP, and we assume most alarms are 'on the hour', there will be 100's possible 1000's of Tune-In request streams at *exactly* the same time.

Still waiting for Sonos support to look at my diagnostic #1597316098
@Ken_Griffiths You say your 'music' alarms are working fine. Are these Tune-In radio streams and are the alarms on the hour?

Mine have been working fine since the fix by Sonos in June, but the issue has re-appeared since I upgraded to 10.4.

I have 2 alarms, 6:00 and 7:00, both Tune-In, both often go to chimes, sometimes just one will go to chime.

Reading the above, I still believe its a Sonos and/or Tune-In server issue. If all the Sonos systems around the world are using NTP, and we assume most alarms are 'on the hour', there will be 100's possible 1000's of Tune-In request streams at *exactly* the same time.

Still waiting for Sonos support to look at my diagnostic #1597316098

I was using my own ‘favourite’ streaming music playlist, but I will try and help out here by switching our alarm over to Tune-in (BBC Radio 1) for tomorrow at exactly 8am and let you know how it goes over the next few days.
Userlevel 5
Badge +7
Thank you Ken. I just stumbled across this article:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/aboutthebbc/entries/37e4e3f6-fbd2-4c14-8d72-7f7139641582

I wonder if this could be affecting the alarms?
craigski,

Yes, its a possibility perhaps, but I read that the issue between the BBC and Tune-In was not going to affect customers that access their BBC stations via Tune-In, using 3rd party Apps like Sonos, but will just see what actually happens with the Radio 1 akarm and if there are issues I may also go onto try the ‘Smooth Radio’ station too.

I will definitely let you know how it goes.
craigski,

The Radio-1 alarm worked fine this morning and woke me up at 8am to twenty one pilots playing ‘stressed out’, but let’s see how it goes in the coming days.
Userlevel 5
Badge +7
My 'BBC Radio 6 Music' worked @ 6:00 in bedroom
My 'BBC Radio 6 Music' failed with chimes in Kitchen @ 7:00

Interesting, when I get chimes, I nornally use Alexa Sonos Integration to play Radio. When I tried to play 'BBC radio 6 Music' on Sonos via Alexa integration in Kitchen today I got a pre-recorded message:

"Thank you for choosing to listen to bbc radio on the internet. Unfortunately the current program on this station is unavailable. This is either due to contractual reasons or a temporary technical fault. Please try again later.
"

However 'BBC Radio 6 Music' played OK using the Sonos App in Kitchen.

Sonos diag for today #1721701557.
craigski,

Just as a temporary measure, to eliminate the BBC/Tune-In contractual issues, perhaps try different radio stations that are not linked to the BBC. At least that way you maybe able to get closer to the main cause of your issues.

You will at least know whether or not it 'might' be related to the ongoing dispute with the BBC, or if you perhaps have an intermittent connection issue to your devices, often caused by WiFi interference in a good many cases.

Another 3rd party radio station as a temporary measure is where I would choose to go next with this.
craigski,

See this link regarding our earlier discussion:

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2019/10/01/bbc_tunein_radio_streams_pulled/

Particularly note the section that talks about alarms from the 30th September. It seems you were right.