Answered

Alarm chime plays instead of selected radio station

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

60 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +7
Still have issue, even with another radio station. I have been sending Sonos support logs to investigate.

I'm wondering if the issue is when the alarms are set for? I assume the Sonos system is using some kind of time sync, so all Sonos around the world will be exact same time. I would guess most (50%?) alarms are set on the o'clock? So when alarm triggers, there will be multiple Sonos systems accessing the servers at exact same time?

Could it be that there are so many Sonos, all trying to get a radio station at *exact* same time, that it kills the Sonos/TuneIn servers, ie a mini DoS attack ?
Thank you Ken. It would be good if someone from Sonos can clarify, I am still waiting for Sonos support to review the diagnostics I sent to them 5 days ago.
Did you raise a support ticket with Sonos, aswell as submitting your diagnostic? If not, you may need to do that via this Customer Care link

At the moment however, before you do that, I understand that the BBC Service “switch off” from TuneIn only happened on the 30th September and there is some suggestion that whilst there are perhaps a few 'teething' issues, that it should not eventually affect Sonos users, based on what was mentioned In this official BBC article/announcement:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/aboutthebbc/entries/37e4e3f6-fbd2-4c14-8d72-7f7139641582

So my thoughts are that it maybe a case of perhaps just seeing how your Alarms work with other (non-BBC) radio stations in the coming days and then switch back and see if BBC/Tune-in/Sonos/Amazon/Google have managed to iron out the issues that 'may' have arisen as a result of the BBC pulling the plug.

Hope that info assists.
Badge +3
This morning the chime played instead of radio. Hopefully a one off...? Will monitor
It's unfortunate that the Sonos programmers designed the app to be so "end user friendly" (nothing at all to help people smart enough to understand basic cause and effect). If it's just a one-off, chances are it was that the station was being hit a lot at once. Set the alarm for 3-5 minutes before or after top-of-the-hour.

I'd pay real money if they'd just add a damn FM tuner. I have pocket MP3 players that are a decade old ore more, and they have this feature.
Badge
What is the solution? Because I have the same issue.
Userlevel 5
Badge +7
UPDATE: Since I manually added BBC Radio station using the direct stream URLs (ie bypassing the TuneIn service), I have had 100% success with Sonos Alarms, no chimes in 7 days with 2 alarms per day.

I used tested the feeds as per above link, but found this link has 320k feeds listed, so I used those instead:

http://www.radiofeeds.co.uk/other.asp

I'm still using 10.4, have not updated 10.4.2, I will wait for more feed back before updating.
craigski,

Just a ‘final’ update .. no issues with my 8am Sonos Alarm too date. Tried various radio stations including BBC Radio stations and Smooth FM UK and no problems.

Didn’t get the Chime at all.

All the best. 👍
Userlevel 3
Badge +3
For a week I switched the alarm to a different room and it worked fine every day. I then switched it back to the original room and every day since I’ve had the chime. The room with the chime has a play 1 the other room a play 5. I also went away for a night getting home late evening the following day. I would gave expected silence throughout the house but although the speaker in the room with the alarm set was silent, as it should be if the alarm had started and ended as it should have, music was playing from the queue in two of the other 4 rooms!! When I looked at the controller the 4 rooms without the alarm set were grouped so if music was playing at all it should have been playing in all four rooms as none were muted and all speakers had a white light on. In order to get the 2 silent speakers to play I had to ungroup then regroup them. Could this be related to the alarm, who knows? but maybe worth mentioning. Since setting these alarms my Sonos system seems to have a mind of its own.
Userlevel 3
Badge +3
Hello again - My normal alarm starts at 06:00 hrs playing BBC Radio 4 so, to try to comply with the last suggestion, last night I set up an earlier one for the same room starting at 05:55 hrs with 5 minutes duration (shortest possible) to play BBC Radio 3 with volume set to ‘0’. I don’t know if the first alarm worked or not, because it was obviously silent, but when the normal alarm started playing it was chimes again instead of Radio 4.
Userlevel 5
Badge +7
Yes, ticket opened with support on 26/9.

FWIW - both BBC alarms worked today @6:00 & @7:00.

However, I can now not play BBC Radio 6 on Sonos using Alexa, it does not find the station.

I agree, as you suggest, may be due to 'teething' problems with systems that are now filtering BBC streams, based on device, application, location, etc
craigski,

Yes, the radio 1 alarm worked for me again too this morning.

It seems the ‘Tune-In switch off’ by the BBC is affecting the Amazon Alexa service, so there’s not a lot Sonos can do about that, other than raise the matter with Amazon.

Hopefully Amazon will get the matter resolved soon.

On a side note, I didn’t realise just how poor BBC Radio 1 can be at 8am in the morning. It was childish rubbish on there this morning. Perhaps I’m just getting too old for that station? 🙂