Answered

Alarm chime plays instead of selected radio station

• 25 April 2019
  • 60 replies

My Sonos speakers play the alarm chime instead of the radio station that is set every single morning when it is set to begin playing. I tried changing the time of turn on and again it did the same thing. Have tried deleting all the alarms and creating new ones, and still the same issue occurs.

Confirmation number is 1912122783
icon

Best answer by Jeff S 26 June 2019, 20:29

Hi folks,

The issue causing the chime to play instead of TuneIn stations should now be resolved. If you continue to have any issues, please submit a diagnostic report, then reach out to our phone team. You can find our contact information here.
View original

60 replies

If you attempt to play the station directly, what happens? How long before the station starts playing? That chime can be impatient. If the station is slow starting, the chime will jump in.

Also, there are different methods of selecting stations for the alarm. If you are using "My Stations", the station URL in that list may have changed and is no longer valid. Meanwhile, if you select the station directly, it might play because the URL is valid.
If I bypass the alarm and play the station directly it will play immediately. If I just let it keep chiming it will never start and chime all day long if I let it.

In regards to selecting the station for the alarm, I am using stations from Amazon Music. I did delete the alarms and then created them again so I assume that the URL's would be valid in the process of creating a new alarm. I have even tried selecting different stations in Amazon Music and it still does the same thing.
Chime does not give second chances, it will not check back to see if the station has started.
Userlevel 3
Badge +3
I've had that happen when I had spotty internet coverage. If the Sonos can't play the selected station at the exact moment of the alarm, it will do the chime to ensure you don't sleep in. Have Sonos support check your diagnostic for interference - you might have to move something to reduce the interference.
How do I have Sonos support check my diagnostic ? I did a diagnostic report about 5 minutes after the issue occurred and have the confirmation number that it gave me.
Userlevel 3
Badge +3
Email Sonos support, tell them your problem and give them the diagnostic number
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
You can also post the number here in this thread. Sonos will read it and reply.
Badge
What is the solution? Because I have the same issue.
Badge
I too have this problem intermittently and it’s driving me mad. I have a BT hub router which seems to ‘snooze’ when not in continuous use and I was wondering if that might be the cause?
Userlevel 3
Badge +1
Me too. I have 2 alarms in different rooms, one at 6am one at 7am. 90% of time I get Chime instead of BBC Radio 6. If I stop the chime and play the radio station immediately after chime plays it always plays radio station.

I have just logged ticket with Sonos, one of their staff also seeing same issue. They have advised me to try a different radio station for new few days.
Badge
For a week I switched the alarm to a different room and it worked fine every day. I then switched it back to the original room and every day since I’ve had the chime. The room with the chime has a play 1 the other room a play 5. I also went away for a night getting home late evening the following day. I would gave expected silence throughout the house but although the speaker in the room with the alarm set was silent, as it should be if the alarm had started and ended as it should have, music was playing from the queue in two of the other 4 rooms!! When I looked at the controller the 4 rooms without the alarm set were grouped so if music was playing at all it should have been playing in all four rooms as none were muted and all speakers had a white light on. In order to get the 2 silent speakers to play I had to ungroup then regroup them. Could this be related to the alarm, who knows? but maybe worth mentioning. Since setting these alarms my Sonos system seems to have a mind of its own.
Badge
For the past 2 mornings the alarm came on with Radio just as it should, but today music started playing from the queue in all the Grouped rooms a couple of minutes after the alarm. I have checked (again) that the ‘include grouped rooms’ option is switched off. I have the Sonos controller on my 2010 Mac Mini, my iPad and my iPhone and the problems seem (only seem) to be exacerbated if I use more than one controller during the evening so could this be part of the problem. All 3 controllers are updated.
I had the same issue for the last couple of weeks and got this reply from Sonos support -

The chime sound usually means the speakers weren't able to access the preferred music source. The Sonos players might be struggling to make a connection through the internet to the radio station.

You can try the following workaround as a pre alarm "wake up" for the Sonos. Set up another alarm 5 minutes before the main one. Set the volume on that one to 0, and the music source to a different radio station. Set the alarm duration to less than 5 minutes. That should open the internet link for the actual radio alarm to sound.

If the above doesn't work, then would you send over a diagnostic report? Reply here with the confirmation number and we'll check the logs: https://support.sonos.com/s/article/141
Badge
Their diagnosis of the Sonos system not being able to get access to the internet immediately the alarm is triggered is exactly what I thought might be the case when making my initial post re my BT Hub which I believe snoozes. The intermittency of the problem could be because on some days the Hub is active due to a prompt from some other application, hopefully routine and not sinister. I’m not an IT expert so this is pure hypothesis on my part. I will follow your advice from Sonos and set up another alarm. If that does indeed solve the problem then hopefully Sonos will be able to design an update that will itself trigger a pre alarm “wake up” as they describe it?

With regard to the alarm triggering not only the selected speaker but the others to which it is grouped, albeit whilst the alarmed speaker plays the Radio the others resume playing the queue, this I’m guessing is due to the ‘include grouped speakers’ function not working as it should. I have the ‘include grouped speakers’ option switched ‘off’ in the alarm set-up process. Normally if I am listening to the queue in the late evening I have the speakers all grouped together. Before I go to bed I would then ungroup them leaving just the bedroom speaker playing the queue and would set the sleep timer for 1 hour. However, if I am not listening to the queue in the late evening and leave all the speakers paused but still grouped when I go to bed, those rarer occasions seem to be the ones when the following morning the alarm triggers the whole system. However, I am sure that this has not been an issue historically.

My other weird issues with my Sonos system continue however; related to the alarm or not I don’t know. Last night for instance I updated my music library having made a few minor changes to it and half way through the process 2 speakers dropped out of the grouping, can’t recall that ever happening before. A few days ago it re-instated a queue on one of the speakers that I am sure I had ‘cleared’ ages ago. I am a longstanding Sonos user having had my system for about 9 years and in all honesty I have never had so many mysterious issues with it as I have been occurring over recent weeks.
Badge
Hello again - My normal alarm starts at 06:00 hrs playing BBC Radio 4 so, to try to comply with the last suggestion, last night I set up an earlier one for the same room starting at 05:55 hrs with 5 minutes duration (shortest possible) to play BBC Radio 3 with volume set to ‘0’. I don’t know if the first alarm worked or not, because it was obviously silent, but when the normal alarm started playing it was chimes again instead of Radio 4.
Same issue here. Since a week or two, all alarms come on as sonos chime. I have tried the 5 minute silent alarm trick and no luck.

Not just BBC in my case, it also happen with Dutch local radio.

If I manually select a radio station after the chime, it playable instantly.

This is is seriously frustrating.
Badge
Hello again - I set up a different 5 minute silent alarm last night using a French radio station and adjusting the start and end times to 05:54 and 05:49. Woken up at 06:00 to the main alarm playing chimes again. I think it’s reasonable to assume that this attempt to fix the problem won’t work. Although I haven’t logged this individually with Sonos Support I just submitted a diagnostic report and this is the number 1748967282 - in case that helps.
Same problem here. Chime instead of radio. The good part is, that I wake up immediately because I hate the chime sound.
Same problem here. Has only just started happening after a year or so of radio alarms.
The more hard data that you can give Sonos, the better they'll be able to track down the issue. WIthin 10 minutes of the alarm playing the chime, submit a system diagnostic and post the number here.
Userlevel 3
Badge +3
Mine did the chimes again all last week, but has been fine so far this week. I did notice the lock screen on my phone now changes with the alarm, to show what is playing and the option to snooze or turn off the alarm. I believe that's new - I've never seen it before in 3+ years of using the alarm.
Same issue here. Since a week or two, all alarms come on as sonos chime. I have tried the 5 minute silent alarm trick and no luck.

Not just BBC in my case, it also happen with Dutch local radio.

If I manually select a radio station after the chime, it playable instantly.

This is is seriously frustrating.

same problem here. Radio station not found. Maybe due to iPad iOS update last week ?
Just happened 3rd morning in a row after fiddling with settings. Radio Instantly available if turn off chime and play the radio. Diagnostic 609298965.
Hi all,

I texted support via Facebook Messenger this morning to report the same. They replied within an hour with the following:

"Thanks, Trevor. We've had a look at your diagnostic report and we can confirm that you're one of a number of customers experiencing this issue. We're actively working with TuneIn in order to resolve this. Thanks for your patience"
Userlevel 3
Badge +1
Still have issue, even with another radio station. I have been sending Sonos support logs to investigate.

I'm wondering if the issue is when the alarms are set for? I assume the Sonos system is using some kind of time sync, so all Sonos around the world will be exact same time. I would guess most (50%?) alarms are set on the o'clock? So when alarm triggers, there will be multiple Sonos systems accessing the servers at exact same time?

Could it be that there are so many Sonos, all trying to get a radio station at *exact* same time, that it kills the Sonos/TuneIn servers, ie a mini DoS attack ?