Answered

Alarm chime instead of radio

• 12 August 2022
  • 2 replies

Hi,

I have what appears to be the same problem as a number of other people in that using TuneIn stations as alarm doesn't work reliably.

I have three identical Play:1 speakers that are used as alarm clocks, "tuned" to the same (very reliable) radio station. One works perfectly, one falls through to the alarm chime about once every other week and one does it about every other day. When that happens I can always stop the chime and manually start the radio station right away without problems.

Playing music is otherwise always rock solid on all three speakers, whether it's the same radio station as the one used for alarms, other radio stations, Spotify or my local music library. I never experience problems starting music manually and I can also reliably use a playlist as alarm music - only TuneIn causes problems.

The three speakers are set for different alarm times and the problem seems to be independent of the alarm time. The speaker that often fails is usually the only device creating any significant network traffic at the time the alarm is set to. The speakers are on a Google Wifi network and according to the network diagnostics they all have great connectivity (about 25Mb/s); the outgoing network connection is a 1Gb fiber connection which is also very reliable.

In other words the entire network of Sonos speakers works perfectly except for one that has major problems playing radio alarms (and one with minor problems).

How do I go about diagnosing the problem further? Is the only way to send in diagnostics?

icon

Best answer by Ken_Griffiths 12 August 2022, 22:07

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

This might be an idling network issue that just needs a wake-up - Perhaps see if this works for you:

1-minute before the main radio station alarm is due to sound, set another ‘silent’ alarm to wake things up, router/internet connection, switches speaker etc; and see if that then resolves the issue. 

Hope that fixes your issue once and for all.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Mikkel Lauritsen 

Thanks for your post!

It may also help to just set the alarm 1 min earlier or later, in case the server is being swamped by on-the-hour requests from other users’ alarms.