Answered

AirPlay2 vs Sonos 1 compatibility

Hi! I just today purchased a Sonos 1 to integrate into my existing Sonos setup (Playbar + 2 x PLAY:3s). I'm told I can use this Sonos 1 (non-Alexa) to be the link between my Mac devices to stream music to it via Airtunes 2 and then simultaneously bring it to my devices that don't have Airtunes 2 compatibility.

Have set up the Sonos 1 using its standard setup (automatically added itself to my system) and updated software on my iPhone 7, Macbook Air (2018), and the Sonos apps running on these Mac devices.

Sonos Apps say I don't have a device that runs Airtunes 2 even though it sees my brand new Sonos 1.

Home app does not see new Sonos 1, and the device itself nor packaging have icons indicating they are Homekit compatible.

I read elsewhere that this is likely because my new Sonos 1 is part of a group or surround sound. I don't see an obvious way to determine if my new Sonos 1 has been linked to a group or surround sound. If I could see that, I would delete it and make it the input of audio to distribute to the other Sonos speakers.

What's the best way of making sure your new device is the new master device that will link to Airtunes 2 and the older devices will listen to it for signal?
icon

Best answer by tpaul 15 July 2018, 17:33

[quote=Smilja]Which device do you have? The left one is a Play:1, the right one is a Sonos ONE.

I guess it was too long to read, but what I was saying was that I intended to buy a Sonos ONE but ended up with a PLAY:1 due to Best Buy being confused by which is which. And based on the packaging, you can see why there would be confusion.
View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

12 replies

Hi! I just today purchased a Sonos 1 to integrate into my existing Sonos setup (Playbar + 2 x PLAY:3s). I'm told I can use this Sonos 1 (non-Alexa) to be the link between my Mac devices to stream music to it via Airtunes 2 and then simultaneously bring it to my devices that don't have Airtunes 2 compatibility. [...]
No, you cannot. A Play:1 is not Airplay2 compatible. Compatible devices are Sonos ONE, Playbase/Beam, Play:5 (2nd Gen.).
Hi! I just today purchased a Sonos 1 to integrate into my existing Sonos setup (Playbar + 2 x PLAY:3s). I'm told I can use this Sonos 1 (non-Alexa) to be the link between my Mac devices to stream music to it via Airtunes 2 and then simultaneously bring it to my devices that don't have Airtunes 2 compatibility. [...]
No, you cannot. A Play:1 is not Airplay2 compatible. Compatible devices are Sonos ONE, Playbase/Beam, Play:5 (2nd Gen.).

Thank you for the reply! But I think you misread. I definitely have a Sonos 1 (compatible), not a Play:1 (not compatible).
I'm told I can use this Sonos 1 (non-Alexa) to be the link between my Mac devices to stream music to it via Airtunes 2 [...]
A Sonos ONE has microphones built in for voice control.

Can you upload a screenshot of the "About My Sonos System" section?
Oh no! I see now. This is a Play:1, they gave me the wrong one.

It seems like Sonos thought it was a good idea to make two different kinds of speakers called "1" and put them in the same box except a non-verbal symbol on the front? The only place that says "PLAY:1" is on the back with the barcodes and technical details.

I purchased this at Best Buy. I was in the Sonos 1 section with the Alexa demo blaring. "Sonos 1" written everywhere. I picked up a Sonos 1 that said "Sonos 1" in the back.

I was bummed to find out that I was going to have to allow Amazon to listen to me 24/7 in order to stream music from Airtunes. (I'm not usually that paranoid but...come on, a microphone that's always on, feeding into Amazon? They say you can disable it but I just don't want it!) I was thinking about putting the speaker back and walking out empty handed.

Then I notice the nearly identical boxes in the same display (intermingled with each other, not separate) either had a microphone or a wifi symbol above the picture of the identical looking speakers.

I ask what the difference is between the symbols is, and they said the only difference is that the ones with microphone symbol are Alexa-enabled and therefore $50 more expensive. Bingo! The wifi symbol option is cheaper, less invasive, and still gives me what I was looking for.

Pictured: this is a PLAY:1 next to a Sonos 1? Yikes.

Poor packaging choice by Sonos and poor layout choice by Best Buy to put all the PLAY:1 speakers with Sonos 1 speakers without any signs saying "PLAY:1" --- but I'm guessing Best Buy was probably as confused by the packaging as I was. These look like two options on the same product, not a completely different product.

So this is true huh, that you have to give Amazon a microphone into your home to get Airtunes compatibility? Not interested in a 2nd playbar (beam) or over $500 for a another speaker (PLAY:5) when my apartment already has good enough sound from the PLAY:3s I own.

Back into the box it goes! 😠
Which device do you have? The left one is a Play:1, the right one is a Sonos ONE.

[quote=Smilja]Which device do you have? The left one is a Play:1, the right one is a Sonos ONE.

I guess it was too long to read, but what I was saying was that I intended to buy a Sonos ONE but ended up with a PLAY:1 due to Best Buy being confused by which is which. And based on the packaging, you can see why there would be confusion.
[...] I was bummed to find out that I was going to have to allow Amazon to listen to me 24/7 in order to stream music from Airtunes. (I'm not usually that paranoid but...come on, a microphone that's always on, feeding into Amazon? They say you can disable it but I just don't want it!) I was thinking about putting the speaker back and walking out empty handed.
Neither the microphones nor Alexa are activated and enabled by default. If you don't set up the Alexa/Sonos skill in order to activate the microphones in the Sonos ONE, then there's nothing to feed into Amazon.

Neither the microphones nor Alexa are activated and enabled by default. If you don't set up the Alexa/Sonos skill in order to activate the microphones in the Sonos ONE, then there's nothing to feed into Amazon.

Thanks for the confirmation! I think I will just return the product though. As I mentioned before, I made a promise to myself not to purchase a device that listens in my home 24/7. I know it sounds silly but...not as silly as purchasing a microphone that listens in your home 24/7 to disable it. Hopefully an affordable speaker will come out that allows Airtunes compatibility without needless invasion of privacy.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
It's airplay, not air tunes. And I doubt you will get another Sonos product that is compatible, other than the existing playbase and play:5, that doesn't have a built in microphone. An apple tv may be something to look into.

Although I get the concern about privacy, your phone has a microphone on it to and is thus in the same category of possible invasion of privacy. I suppose that could be classified as 'needed'.
It's airplay, not air tunes.

My bad! Looks like I missed the memo that they changed its name from Airtunes to Airplay back in...2010?! Yikes. I'm getting old.

And I doubt you will get another Sonos product that is compatible, other than the existing playbase and play:5, that doesn't have a built in microphone. An apple tv may be something to look into.

I do have an apple tv that is connected to my existing playbar. And until your suggestion, I hadn't considered that I could use that as a source of streaming music from my phone to Sonos! I'll have to give that a go when I get home from work. Thank you!

Although I get the concern about privacy, your phone has a microphone on it to and is thus in the same category of possible invasion of privacy. I suppose that could be classified as 'needed'.

Yeah...I worry about that too. I have Siri disabled because of that reason, but like you're suggesting: just like distrusting Alexa to be disabled, it's still worrying that my phone could possibly be used to listen without my consent. I guess with the phone it's not as invasive because the microphone seems necessary to perform phone calls. I just have never thought to myself, "I wish I could look something up without reading or using my hands. I need a whole new device for the purpose." And this pushiness from tech companies to accept it into my life without a convincing argument for it is just increasing my paranoia.
The microphone on the One is hardwired to the LED, so unlike your phone, you know exactly when it is turned on and listening. It is impossible for it to be listening with the LED turned off, and you can turn it off via a button on the top of the unit.
The microphone on the One is hardwired to the LED, so unlike your phone, you know exactly when it is turned on and listening. It is impossible for it to be listening with the LED turned off, and you can turn it off via a button on the top of the unit.

Interesting!