Question

Airplay2 connection lost at end of iTunes playlist

• 25 June 2019
  • 3 replies

I've recently upgraded from Play:1s to Gen2 Sonos One speakers. The biggest reason for this upgrade was to bypass the Sonos app and play my entire library from iTunes. So far it's been perfect, brief drop out in one speaker every now and then but that's it.

My question is, how do I stop iTunes (12.9.9.5 running on my iMac 10.14.5 so latest) from losing connection after a period of inactivity? If a playlist stops, or I press pause on the speakers, I lose the airplay connection and have to swap back to 'internal speakers' then back to 'SONOS' for it to work.

On a lesser documented feature, I found I can pause the ABC iView (Australian) app on my Apple TV via the SONOS One speakers that are connected to it via Airplay. It even listed the show as 'Now Playing' on the desktop Sonos app too.

3 replies

That’s likely a question for Apple, not Sonos. In the case of AirPlay 2, Sonos is merely a receiver of the data, and doesn’t have any control over the connection.

For what it’s worth, I have the same issue when connecting to my AppleTV from day to day. I suspect Apple has a built in timer, so that after X time of no data, it frees up the connection, but I’ve never done any testing, it’s just a minor inconvenience, not a huge issue to me. YMMV.
Thanks Bruce, yes, I would have thought the same thing. Although I think the actual connection to the speakers is fine, it's just they stop responding. I've tried it with a friends (JBL I think) Airplay speakers and don't have the same issue.

I was thinking maybe the Sonos had a timer/sleep function? As you say relatively minor, but hoped it might have been something I had overlooked.
Heh. I feel your pain. And no, I don't really know, either way.

I've had over the last year or so, three occasions that I can recall where my AirPlay 2 connection to my Sonos failed. In all three cases, a reboot of the iOS device fixed the problem, I didn't have to touch my Sonos.

But that's just my use case, and I'm a small sample size (well, 1 person is a small sample size, I'm not that small), so your experience doesn't have to mirror mine. But I've always been of the opinion that when I have an issue with my Sonos, providing them with a diagnostic which contains much more concrete data than my anecdotal comments is likely more helpful. I've managed my fair share of engineers who fix bugs in software, and they're always asking for use cases, and when I can't provide one, they usually come back with "it works fine on my machine", which doesn't help anyone :)

On the other hand, I don't expect Sonos to divulge too much about their inner workings. They're in a pretty competitive field, and exposing too much can be harmful to maintaining a lead which I think they have.

So there you go. No real good answer from me. Sorry about that.