Question

Airplay issues

• 20 October 2019
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

Diagnostics 667381713

Using Airplay 

All speakers in one group with a Sonos One (only one)

select that one in Airplay

playing from BBC Sounds - previously aired show The World This Weekend

ETA the BBC Sounds app NEVER stops playing during the issues described below. 

Starts playing then two rooms drop out of group

add them back 

about 20 mins later play stops (not holding phone, not touching speakers)

start play from BBC Sounds App

same two rooms drop out of group 

1 the new IKEA Symfonist, 2 Play:1

Add them back to group

click to restart the show in Sonos… get error ‘unable to connect to Sonos Player ‘

stopped to do this ticket. 

closed sonos and bbc sounds 

started again… 

just a note - while listening via Airplay often a speaker in a room will stop for a few seconds and then start up again.  there is no pattern - sometimes it happens frequently while listening , sometimes it doesnt happen for a long period and then various rooms will pause at different times.  

fyi no pauses/restarts while using live broadcasts (tunein), streaming services like siriux or podcasts via Sonos

am using Sonos Net and have Google WiFi with plenty of units (three for a 1200 sf apartment) never have wifi coverage issues from any room. 

speakers pausing and restarting has happened but not with this ‘unable to connect’ error. 

in fact while doing this ticket, the speaker in the room with the computer paused three times and started again. i can hear that the other speakers were playing. 

thanks

5 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

So this issue continues. I can’t ever use airplay with my Sonos system. it never works. Constant dropouts and sometimes no sound from the other grouped speakers.  

I have a Sonos One grouped with other non AP speakers, I also have a Beam and the new ikea Sonos speaker, these two are not grouped with the other speakers because I found that didn’t work at all either.  I only have one airplay compatible speaker in a group when I try to stream via my iPhone. 

obviously no interest from Sonos as there has been no reply to this topic at all. 

I have had to resort to setting up google mini speakers in most of my rooms and guess what?  Going to the app bbc sounds on my iPhone and selecting my show then I just have to select the google speaker group I had set up for all the minis  - and hit play and it works without a single problem 

Why I am doing this is because bbc has many shows that are not available via Tunein to listen again  so I have to stream them if I want or hear them 

I am very very very disappointed that Airplay is so buggy and I have had to set up a parallel speaker system (which is not as robust) to do what should be working with my more expensive Sonos system.  

And I imagine this will get no reply either  

This is a community forum, not a direct contact to Sonos support. As explained in the Diagnostics - How do they work? thread, just running a diagnostic doesn’t engender a response, and given the recent announcements from Sonos, I’d imagine the forum moderators have had their hands full with doing their main job, moderating the forums, and not functioning as Customer Support. I would recommend that if you want Sonos support to look at your diagnostic, you should contact Sonos Support directly to discuss it.

I usually suggest the phone folks, they have more tools available because they're on the phone with you, but they are available Monday through Friday during business hours. The Twitter support folks are available 24/7.  

Sonos isn’t responsible for what features the BBC makes available to Sonos users, that is entirely up to the BBC, who has proven, over the last several years, to show that they don’t really care about people who don’t use their own BBC app.

AirPlay 2 is an Apple thing, Sonos is only a receiving device of the signal. I spent around 10 hours yesterday listening to podcasts from my iPhone on AirPlay 2 being sent to my PLAY:5 speaker with zero issues. If you’re having issues with AirPlay 2 being sent to your speakers, it’s much more likely to be an issue with wifi interference in your local environment. In fact, I have this issue when I place my iPhone on my kitchen table, there’s enough of a dead spot that I start getting breakup in my AirPlay 2 signal as well. My solution so far, is to just put my iPhone on the kitchen counter, and at some point in the future, I’ll need to figure out what the issue is on the table.

Call Sonos, have them review your diagnostic. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

1  Airplay issues with my sonos system are with ANYTHING i play from my iPhone. .. i just happen to use the bbc app the most… i have tried with other apps and had the same issues. 

2 I know this is not a SONOS SUPPORT ticket system - however three months with not one reply from any moderator… that is pretty unusual and WELL BEFORE the time of the recent announcement. 

3 if you search by AIRPLAY you will see hundreds of topics with issues - many many, some like this issue … its not just me.  and I do have the right to be annoyed that it doesnt work.   There are consistent issues with Airplay. 

4 my sonos net is on its OWN wireless channel that NOTHING else uses.  i have excellent coverage - using THREE GOOGE Wifi routers in a 1000 sf house… I have never had an issue with the speakers dropping out with ANY other music service i play on SONOS nor with direct radio stations (wnyc or bbc or swedish radio or german radio ) for example nor Spotify nor my own media library via PLEX.

BTW  here are the hours 
Call us at 800-680-2345
Your country: USA
Mon - Fri 10am - 9pm ET
Toll-free number(s) but charges may apply. Check with your provider for more information on dialing toll-free numbers.

Yes, those are indeed the phone hours, but as I noted, there is 24/7 support service provided by Sonos on Twitter. 

1  Airplay issues with my sonos system are with ANYTHING i play from my iPhone. .. i just happen to use the bbc app the most… i have tried with other apps and had the same issues. 

2 I know this is not a SONOS SUPPORT ticket system - however three months with not one reply from any moderator… that is pretty unusual and WELL BEFORE the time of the recent announcement. 

3 if you search by AIRPLAY you will see hundreds of topics with issues - many many, some like this issue … its not just me.  and I do have the right to be annoyed that it doesnt work.   There are consistent issues with Airplay. 

4 my sonos net is on its OWN wireless channel that NOTHING else uses.  i have excellent coverage - using THREE GOOGE Wifi routers in a 1000 sf house… I have never had an issue with the speakers dropping out with ANY other music service i play on SONOS nor with direct radio stations (wnyc or bbc or swedish radio or german radio ) for example nor Spotify nor my own media library via PLEX.

BTW  here are the hours 
Call us at 800-680-2345
Your country: USA
Mon - Fri 10am - 9pm ET
Toll-free number(s) but charges may apply. Check with your provider for more information on dialing toll-free numbers.

southern gal

The google WiFi system is probably at the root of this AirPlay issue as the Google hubs 'channel hop' automatically and cannot be fixed in place … hopefully the information below about how best to use that mesh system with Sonos might assist…

What most Google WiFi users do, is turn their ISP provided router into “modem mode” then wire the main hub to that, followed by an unmanaged switch (plugged into the other Google hub port) just for any wired connections ...and then put a 'more recent’ modern Sonos device (Boost or Sonos One etc.) into the switch. If not using the switch, then just plug the Sonos device direct into this first main nest hub.

Importantly, if the ISP router can’t easily be placed in modem mode then the WiFi on that router needs to be switched off and the network ports should not be used for any further (other) wired connections.

Once the remaining Nest pucks/hubs are placed around the home and connected,  it’s then good to establish what WiFi channels are in use on the 2.4ghz band by those devices. To do that, you can use a piece of free software downloaded to  a laptop called “WiFiInfoView”, or “InSSIDer” or similar software, which scans the airwaves and can identify the channels in use nearby.

There are similar wireless scanner Apps available for Android devices, but not much out there for Apple mobile devices (sadly). 

Over a day, or two, scan  and make a note of each WiFi channel in use by the Google Hub devices and try to find the “least-used” non-overlapping channel ... eg. channel 1, 6, or 11.

Now set your SonosNet channel to that least-used WiFi channel... and from time to time, just rescan and check that the channels haven’t changed. Always use the least-used channel for SonosNet.

Communication between a Sonos HT system eg. Playbar and surrounds etc. uses a 5ghz ad-hoc Network, which is faster for surround sound purposes and there is no way to set the channels for this, or change the Google Hub 5ghz channels, but if you do get issues with any Sonos HT setup, it’s occasionally worth just rebooting the PlayBar, rather than the Google WiFi hubs and let the Playbar choose the best 5ghz channel for itself. 

Two further final points that are really worth doing here too..

• Remove/reset the WiFi credentials in the Sonos App “Settings/System/Network/Wireless Setup”. These are not needed when running the devices on SonosNet.
  • A final further useful thing I would choose to do in your particular case, is to add the Sonos IP address to your Google Nest networks' DHCP Reservation Table.

Hopefully if you can understand and follow these few network suggestions you should find that your Sonos and AirPlay connectivity will greatly improve and hopefully then see an end to your audio interruptions.

You may also want to take a little time to read through this helpful thread related to the Google WiFi mesh system and Sonos mDNS/bonjour communication issues…

https://en.community.sonos.com/setting-up-sonos-228990/sonos-components-google-mesh-wifi-go-wifi-or-sonosnet-6822265#post16322421

Hope that information assists. 👍