Airplay 2 no longer working

• 21 September 2018
  • 52 replies

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

52 replies

Same problem here - MacOS 10.14.3, Sonos One w\ 10.0 (build 48261220). It is really annoying that I can't pause or wait between playing songs anymore.
What does that exactly mean? Airplay is being carried out on your Mac, whereby Sonos is only seen as an Airplay target.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208728

Therefore contacting Apple Support is your best best, if you are experiencing reliability issues with Airplay.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201232
Smilja - did you read ANY of the previous posts? I didn't feel the need to retype exactly what was written before given that several users posted very detailed explanations of the issue. If I pause a song or let a song finish and then wait a bit before trying to play to the Sonos One again there is a period of silence roughly equal to the amount of time no music was playing. This is NOT a problem with Airplay in general, given that it doesn't happen with my Airport Express. Why would I open a case with Apple when the problem only occurs with the Sonos One?
Smilja - did you read ANY of the previous posts? I didn't feel the need to retype exactly what was written before given that several users posted very detailed explanations of the issue. If I pause a song or let a song finish and then wait a bit before trying to play a song again, when I try and play to the Sonos One again there is a period of silence roughly equal to the amount of time no music was playing. This is NOT a problem with Airplay in general, given that it doesn't happen with my Airport Express. Why would I open a case with Apple when the problem only occurs with the Sonos One?
You can try and submit a diagnostic within 15 min. next time the issue occurs; respond here with the confirmation number.
I already have a case open with Sonos and submitted a diagnostic. I've gone back and forth a few times. Waiting for a response after my last update today.
I already have a case open with Sonos and submitted a diagnostic. I've gone back and forth a few times. Waiting for a response after my last update today.I have previously seen people resolve this issue by rebooting their router and then resetting their network settings on their iOS device... once reset you have to create the network connection to your WiFi again. Also check you have not turned off access to speakers in the Apple HomeKit Settings. (See screenshot).

Resetting the iOS device network settings though is usually the key to fixing the problem.
TimYL,

Oh sorry, please ignore my post above ... I misread your issue. That’s my mistake. I see now you are having iTunes/Mac connectivity issues to AirPlay on a Sonos One, rather than an iOS issue.
TimYL,

How is your MAC and Sonos One connected to the local network? Are there any mesh WiFi hubs, extenders, repeaters, powerline adapters or managed switches involved?

If running the Sonos One on your WiFi, does it make any difference to the AirPlay streaming if you swap connection and cable the speaker to the LAN, or vice versa?
My Sonos One is connected directly to the router since it doesn't support any modern wifi protocols. My Mac is using wireless, and is about 10 feet from the router and the Sonos One. The Airport Express is also about ten feet away but in the other direction, connected over wireless to the router (it acts as a bridge as well for an AV system) and experiences no playback issues.
My Sonos One is connected directly to the router since it doesn't support any modern wifi protocols. My Mac is using wireless, and is about 10 feet from the router and the Sonos One. The Airport Express is also about ten feet away but in the other direction, connected over wireless to the router (it acts as a bridge as well for an AV system) and experiences no playback issues.It's a strange one then, as all sounds like it should work fine. The only common denominator apparent, is the MacOS 10.14.* and maybe a potential incompatibility with the Sonos' AirPlay v2 implementation. Presumably Sonos are investigating that through your support case that is ongoing.

I’m curious, Is your Airport Express a recent model that supports AirPlay v2 or is it an old model that’s still running firmware 7.6.9 (76900.11) and therefore only supports AirPlay v1?
Having the same Airplay issues as @asdffdsa, @seanyusa and @TimYL.
Running a Macbook Air with MacOS 10.14.4 and a Sonos One (Gen2) stereo pair with latest updates.
I'd recommend three things.

First, try a reboot (unplug from power) your speakers.

Second, try a reboot of your router.

Third, if neither of those work, I would recommend that you submit a system diagnostic within 10 minutes of recreating this issue, and either post the number here, or contact Sonos to discuss it. I tend to suggest the phone folks, they have more tools available, but are only available during business hours. Both the Twitter and Facebook support folks are available 24/7.

There may be information included in the diagnostic that will help Sonos pinpoint the issue and help you find a solution.
I'd recommend three things.

First, try a reboot (unplug from power) your speakers.

Second, try a reboot of your router.

Third, if neither of those work, I would recommend that you submit a system diagnostic within 10 minutes of recreating this issue, and either post the number here, or contact Sonos to discuss it. I tend to suggest the phone folks, they have more tools available, but are only available during business hours. Both the Twitter and Facebook support folks are available 24/7.

There may be information included in the diagnostic that will help Sonos pinpoint the issue and help you find a solution.

This has been happening often, seemingly randomly, for months. Latest iTunes on macOS 10.14.4 playing to a Play:5 gen2 on Sonos 10.1 via AirPlay 2 (from within iTunes) will just refuse to play, usually after being paused. The speaker selection icon turns orange, and the track shows as stopped after a few seconds.

Sometimes if push play repeatedly, waiting a few seconds for it to silently fail each time, it will start working. This happened a few minutes ago around 3pm PST. Other times I will try and hasten the process by switching between the system speakers and the Play:5. This may, or may not, actually affect whether it will work sooner (because sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't), but feels like it might.

If I reboot the Play:5 and/or restart iTunes it will usually start working again for a while, but not always immediately; I sometimes still have to fight with it. Everything is hardwired through managed Ubiquiti switches.

Thanks for any help.
Hopefully, someone from Sonos will pick up that diagnostic soon, it's not available to users like you and me.

But there's also limited data that might be in it. If there's an issue with the Sonos device, it probably would show something, but if there's an issue somewhere else, since you're not using the Sonos software, there might not be any data that can help them figure out what's going. When you're using AirPlay 2, you're essentially skipping all of the Sonos software completely, and just sending data straight to the speaker.

However, with the additional information you've provided, it really sounds to me like you've got an issue in your LAN/Wifi. Pressing the play repeatedly would be an indication (I think) that the command isn't getting either to the phone, or to the speakers.

Being wired removes wifi interference as a potential, assuming that you haven't entered in any wifi credentials in your Sonos system. But there's always the potential of duplicate IP addresses, which might cause your speakers to leave and join your LAN as they fight with some other device for the IP address.

Wouldn't hurt, while you wait for Sonos to grab that diagnostic, if you were to unplug all of your Sonos devices from power (no need to pull the ethernet cord), and then reboot your router. Once the router comes back up, plug the Sonos devices back in. That will force them to grab new IP addresses from your router, and hopefully make things work better. Worth a 10 minute test, at least.

Good luck!
The issue appeared with the latest Sonos Update...
Here's the diagnostics: 1188642284
Diffuser,

Maybe see if this fixes the issue ...

If you use a firewall, make sure you aren't blocking AirPlay Mirroring: Apple Menu > System Preferences > Security & Privacy > Firewall > Firewall Options and uncheck “Block all incoming connections” checkbox and check the “Automatically allow signed software to receive incoming connections” checkbox.

I also found these additional steps via a google search... but they may not be necessary for some systems.

Some Mac users also may need to add these additional steps after adjusting their Mac’s Firewall and other Settings

1. Shutdown
2. Power Up and hold keys to reset NVRAM: cmd + option + P + R
3. Hold these keys for about 20 seconds as your Mac might restart
4. If your Mac plays a startup chime when you turn it on, release the keys after the second chime
5. Once Mac opens, check your System Preferences and adjust impacted settings like sound volume, display resolution, startup disk selection, and time zone back to your preference.

Hope that helps.?

If you use a firewall, make sure you aren't blocking AirPlay Mirroring: Apple Menu > System Preferences > Security & Privacy > Firewall > Firewall Options and uncheck “Block all incoming connections” checkbox and check the “Automatically allow signed software to receive incoming connections” checkbox.

I'm not using the firewall, but thanks for your input.
I'm not using the firewall, but thanks for your input.Maybe delete/reset your network connection and set it up again.
I'm not using the firewall, but thanks for your input.Maybe delete/reset your network connection and set it up again.
I did that. Didn't help. This issue is driving me insane...
Diffuser,

My final thought ...switch off all devices, including the router.. bring them back online one at a time in this order:

Router
Wired devices
Wireless Speakers
Controllers
Diffuser,

My final thought ...switch off all devices, including the router.. bring them back online one at a time in this order:

Router
Wired devices
Wireless Speakers
Controllers

Rebooting this junk usually works. But the unreliability quickly manifests again.
[quote=cosmologicalmoose]Diffuser,
Rebooting this junk usually works. But the unreliability quickly manifests again.

Yeah, sadly that's not a solution.
I see that one user in this community recently got their AirPlay working on Sonos, by choosing to factory reset each of their Sonos AirPlay devices, one at a time, so that they did not lose their original Household ID. That cured the problem in their case. If anyone would like to try that perhaps?... make sure you add each speaker back to the household though, before moving onto the next device... Nothing ventured, nothing gained.?
Restarting the iPhone fixed the problem for me.
I've had to do that two or three times myself, restarting the iPad, and it's fixed any connection issues I've had. Never had to reboot / restart the Sonos.
I'm wondering if the Sonos team has seen this. The issue is with MacBook computers and not happening on mobile devices. It's been over 6 months and I'm still experiencing this issue. The same thing, after pausing my video or music on my computer for a while, if I resume the content, the audio will not continue playing until I either wait a long long time or switch back to my computer speakers and then back to the Sonos airplay speakers. I've reset router, Sonos speakers, computer, app, tried wireless and wired connections, multiple times now.