Airplay 2 no longer working

• 21 September 2018
  • 52 replies

I have a Sonos One, Play 5 and Soundbase. When Airplay 2 first launched it worked seamlessly.
After updating to the latest software it no longer works. When using 3rd party apps (spotify, apple podcasts, etc.) the 3 Sonos speakers still show up but when I select no sound plays, it drops and then it plays thru the phone again.
Playing thru the Sonos app still works (but just not as convenient)

Does anybody know what I can try to diagnose the issue?

Submitted diagnosis report confirmation number is 17776062

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

52 replies

The same problem
It magically started working today. Have no idea why...
Airplay stopped working for me yesterday. Still not back.
AirPlay has always been, and remains, a piss poor design, which makes far more demands on your WiFi than does casting. Your WiFi signal will need to be strong at the phone you’re sending from.
Badge
I had exactly the same problem here today. After I upgraded my 2 Sonos speakers (Sonos play:5 & Sonos One) this morning, I found the AirPlay 2 not working both from my iPhone and iPad when I just used the Airplay 2 later in the evening (the playing from Sonos Apps was perfectly nice the whole afternoon, however). It dropped after trying connecting to the Sonos speakers from Airplay and went back to iPhone/ iPad. I’d tried restarting the Sonos but still not worked.

But finally after I restarted my iPad /iPhone, it works again!!! Thanks God it can finally be resolved !! I was so afraid that the upgrade version has some problem but I would not be able to fallback the update. But now it’s fixed and I just don’t have to worry on that need anymore, ha!! 😃.

I guess there might be some integration problem of the airplay 2 with Sonos devices (version 9.2) so once there is any problem it cannot be resumed but stayed connection broken until the iOS controller (iOS 12.0.1) side is restarted.
Userlevel 1
Badge
Same issue here. Airplay suddenly stopped working after the most recent system update. I've restarted my iPad several times, the router, and the speakers. Any other suggestions? It was working perfectly after the first update when they introduced the feature 😞
Badge
May be you need to submit diagnostic report for technical support from Sonos?
Same problem here, was working fine before latest update.
I'd recommend two things. First, try a reboot of the device sending the signal (iPad, iPhone, whatever) and the speakers. And I mean a real reboot, not just closing the app. Do a full power cycle of the device. And unplug the speakers, and plug them back in.

Then I'd recommend doing exactly what cari.606 suggested in the post before yours.
Power cycle of device and Sonos One worked. Thanks!
I too am having this issue. This is pretty much the reason I finally bought into Sonos. Anyone know if there has been any progress into this?
Userlevel 7
I too am having this issue. This is pretty much the reason I finally bought into Sonos. Anyone know if there has been any progress into this?

Try reading the posts prior to yours for suggestions on how to resolve your issue.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi, jakke42. Please follow AjTrek1's advice and look at the other offered solutions. If you are still struggling, please submit a diagnostic and respond with the confirmation number. This way we can check for general communication issues. Many thanks in advance.
Hello. I have power cycled all devices involved. My phone, my laptop, my tablet, the Sonos speakers, and the router/access point. The problem as described occurres anywhere in the house (including 5 feet from the access point) with 5 separate airplay sources to 2 separate Sonos speakers. They have no problem air playing to my Apple TV. The Sonos app is able to play music without issue.
Hello. I have power cycled all devices involved. My phone, my laptop, my tablet, the Sonos speakers, and the router/access point. The problem as described occurres anywhere in the house (including 5 feet from the access point) with 5 separate airplay sources to 2 separate Sonos speakers. They have no problem air playing to my Apple TV. The Sonos app is able to play music without issue.
Reproduce the issue and submit a diagnostic report as suggested by Edward R.
Will do over the weekend
Airplay audio issues arise once you pause or audio stopped after now playing playlist reached the end. This started immediately once the 10.0 release was installed. I also didn't have any big/annoying issues in the 9.x releases with Airplay.

I stream my computer audio to a play one by choosing the device as output from the sound/volume option in the menu bar.

Once I started sharing my issue, decided to simply use a stopwatch to see if the audio comes back or how long it takes. Below are my results where I had audio playing through the device, clicked pause and waited for duration `x` to resume playing and duration `y` when I heard the audio. For all attempts, I never disconnected anything, or switched the output. In this case I am using iTunes, and you can see from the UI the audio is playing immediately upon resume.

Tests Pause audio for duration `x` => resume audio => hear audio through speaker after duration `y`
x = 1 minute => y = 15 seconds
x = 2 minutes => y = 30 seconds
x = 3 minutes => y = 40 seconds
x = 5 minutes => y= 65 seconds
x = 10 minutes => y = 150 seconds

I result to toggling audio output from Sonos device to internal speaker and back or sometimes clicking play/pause numerous times and hope that audio comes back within a few seconds if I am lucky. It's quite annoying 😞 !
addffdsa,

I’m not entirely sure if I am following your instructions correctly, but here is what I have just tested.

On my Windows 10 PC, I open the latest version of iTunes and go to the AirPlay icon by the volume control at top left. I selected a stereo pair of Sonos Ones (Bedroom) and the volume slider bar appears by the chosen checkbox. I unchecked 'my computer' at top of the device list, so that it will just AirPlay the audio to my bedroom speakers.

I play some music for a minute or two and then pause it. I then wait a minute and resume it and the audio resumes within a few seconds (no more than 3 seconds).

I pause the music again and wait for two minutes to go by on the computer clock and then press the play/pause button again and the music resumes playing again within 3 seconds.

Am I following your instructions correctly? .. it pauses and plays fine here with no apparent delay. In any event would this not be an iTunes, or local network issue as the Sonos speakers can only play the AirPlay audio when they receive it?

Let me know if I’m doing anything incorrectly here and I will happily test things once again on my system.

Hope that helps?... I can post screenshot if you need to see what I’m doing to try to replicate your issue.
addffdsa,

I should have perhaps mentioned that I’m only clicking the iTunes play/pause button once only, each time, to stop/resume the AirPlay audio.
A couple of screenshots... just in case I’m not doing this correctly.
I'm having the exact same issue that @asdffdsa has reported. This started happening around the end of January. Before this everything was working perfectly as expected. When I play something using airplay it will start up 1-2 seconds right after. Now I am having the same issue as asdffdsa. When I newly connect to Airplay using my computer, then I start playing some sound, it works perfectly and start immediately. But then I pause the audio or video then come back and depending on how long I'm gone for it will take very long time to play. For example even just leaving for 2 minutes, then I come back and hit play again, it will be a long time at least 30 seconds before it starts playing. If I leave for 5 minutes plus then it is the equivalent of not working after I hit play again. This is frustrating as every time I come back and hit play again, it pretty much is the equivalent of not working and very annoying as I purchased my entire system with the hopes of only using Airplay 2.

I've contacted support through email and all the steps they guided me through didn't seem to fix anything. I've also reached out to technical support by phone twice now, once for over an hour and a half troubleshooting and they were not able to come to an answer. I hope that this could be fixed as I'm sure it's very annoying and probably some people are experiencing it.

My system is a Beam, and two Play:1s all grouped together. Then the issue happens when I'm playing on a MacBook Pro 2017 or MacBook Pro 2015. I've also tried with two different routers already, doesn't seem to be a connection problem as everything else about the Sonos works fine, playing from Sonos app, Alexa, multi-room, everything is working perfectly, just this odd Airplay issue.

Versions: MacOS V: 10.14.2 and 10.14.3 and 10.13.6; Sonos V10.0.
@seanyusa Having the exact same issue pretty much every other day. Airplay will work via iTunes one day, not work the next. I cross my fingers hoping it will connect every time. Probably not something you should do when you invest a few grand into premium sound performance. My system: beam, sub, 3 Play:1s, 2 Play:5s - Macbook Pro 2017/Macbook Air 2018.
Same problem here - MacOS 10.14.3, Sonos One w\ 10.0 (build 48261220). It is really annoying that I can't pause or wait between playing songs anymore.
Same problem here - MacOS 10.14.3, Sonos One w\ 10.0 (build 48261220). It is really annoying that I can't pause or wait between playing songs anymore.
Rebooting your Mac may help.
My Mac has been rebooted many times.