AirPlay 2 dropouts

• 20 January 2021
  • 3 replies

entirely wired Sonos system except I added a new One SL in order to use airplay 2 from an Ethernet connected iMac. the airplay speaker drops frequently, despite being near hotspot. channel 1/6/11 all same. diagnostics 632444701

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +16

Hi there @Markleb, Thanks for reaching out and welcome to the community and thanks for sending a diagnostic report of your Sonos system, upon checking the reports, there are some issues detected. Low signal bandwidth from your Sonos devices to the router, which may have caused this issue and also Interference on your connections, Kindly check these articles about Reduding Wireless interference and Music Service Audio dropouts for some troubleshooting steps that you can follow, Let me know if there’s any improvements afterwards. 

Keep us posted on how it goes and we're here to answer any further questions you have.

I appreciate that. I am fully wired except for the wireless One SL. As part of my troubleshooting, I did a factory reset on the One SL and added it as a wired speaker and still had dropouts. 

I cannot specify my 2.4 Ghz wireless channel on my routers admin page, and I tried changed from Ch 1/6/11 without any improvement.

I then thought my source computer might be the issue. I was using Windows 7/iTunes within a virtual OS environment (Parallels). I did a clean installation of Windows and iTunes and still have the issue. Apple Activity Monitor and Windows Resource Monitor didnt show any glaring issues.

I then tried TuneBlade, and adding a large buffer (~ 4700 msec) helped a lot but I still had dropouts. Frustrating because my computer is also wired ethernet.

Finally, I unmounted the external hard drive that has my iTunes music and ran it through a different source computer-- a NEWER Mac, also running Windows 7/iTunes via Parallels. NOT ONE DROPOUT in 4 hours and counting. So, it must be my initial source set up (iMac circa 2012). But, now that you told me the diagnostics showed interference, I am wondering if you can compare that report to a new diagnostics I just submitted (ie while I am not experiencing dropouts).

That confirmation number is 1595393144.

Thanks!

Userlevel 6
Badge +16

Hi there @Markleb, thanks for the update and for sending another diagnostic report. This time there no issue detected on the latest diagnostic report. It may have something to do with the external hard drive that you’ve unmounted. since everything worked perfectly fine after you removed it and running it from a different source which also shows that everything is running smoothly on your newer Mac and Windows 7. 

Please, feel free to let me know if you require any further information.