Answered

Air play is interrupting continuously

• 27 August 2021
  • 7 replies

Hello 

I have 3 Sonos play1 and 1 play5

I have also a mesh network TPlink Deco. The wifi signal is excellent in all the rooms and all the devices except sonos are working perfectly.

There are 3 Deco unit in my house: 

Deco-main is connected to Internet and by Etherenet cabe to Deco-Attic

Deco-Rooms is full wireless.

The sonos Play-5 is connected (wireless) to Deco- Attic and it is very close to the Deco unit (about 1 meter) 

The 3 sonos play1 are connected to Deco-main (1 unit)  and Deco-rooms (2 units)

They are all very close to the Deco units (max 2 meters) and there are no walls  between them. 

When I use air play, the sonos play1 connected to Deco-main is continuosly interrupting  and itimpossible to use. Other service, like listening a file from my phone or tune in radio are working perfectly. Only air play is not working and it was tested with 2 different phones and 1 McBook air 

I need your help! :-(

Thank you

icon

Best answer by 106rallye 27 August 2021, 11:36

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Letting Sonos devices work via the Deco network is not advisable. Only one Sonos device (preferably the one most centrally located) should be connected to the main Deco. That device will start Sonosnet.

Thank you for the replay. Finally and sadly it looks like the sonos system is not working with a mesh network.

On the other side in houses that are on different floors and quite large, I think the mesh system is becoming the standard maybe this is not a fault from Sonsos but something related the  technology but I do not think this kind of limitation are clear to the average buyer (me included) 

In summary … I have now 3 speakers that cannot be used, the sonsos net from my play 5 cannot cover the house (this is why I have a mesh system with multiple units...)  I will try wiring the sonos units … but I thought to have bought a wirless system...

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Try wiring just one speaker, as explained above. Sonos will set up it’s own mesh from there.

I have tried this setup:

main-deco wired to deco-attic and from deco-attic wired to sonos play:5 

unfortunatly it is still not working well, the other 3 units play:1 despite are not far from other deco units (but probably too far from play 5) are still not working well, next I will try to add more wires where I can 

thank you again for the support

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Why not follow my advice: wire only one Sonos device to the main Deco, give it some time and see if all speakers are set to WM:1 (Sonosnet). Now you still run Sonos signals through your Deco network.

Unfortunately each deco unit has only 2 Ethernet ports, the main deco has 1 slot used as input, the 2nd slot it is used to connect a secondary deco unit in the attic where I have the office and  where a I need good and stable internet connection. In summary no free slot in the main unit, I will have to try to use an old router with more ports to see if it works  

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

The router should only work as a switch, not sure if it can beconfigured like that. For testing purposes I would just temporarily sever the connection to the other Deco's and connect the Sonos device. If that works, you could try an unmanaged switch (I've used these in the past: Amazon.com: TP-Link TL-SG105 | 5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Network Switch, Ethernet Splitter | Plug & Play | Fanless Metal Design | Shielded Ports | Traffic Optimization | Limited Lifetime Protection : Electronics), as you see it does not cost very much.