Question

After updating to 7.0, Sonos does not play full Spotify tracks

• 10 December 2016
  • 33 replies

I updated my Sonos environment to the latest version, as well as the app on all my devices. From that moment Sonos cuts of all selected Spotify tracks.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

33 replies

I have been having serious issues for the last week since the latest "awesome v 7.0" update. I have created the sonos account. re-created a non-FB linked Spotify account. Re started, re-programmed, re-build every bloody component I have, called with no answer (because of timezones) both Sonos and Spotify...... so here i am , loads of expensive useless kit and a weekend without music..... and where ever you search or reach out for support, no answers..... really not a happy bunny, and hey only a few weeks to christmas and no music - fantastic 😕
Sonos uses its own Layer 2 Data Link transmission protocol, but still uses Layer 3 Networking. Thus it is still using IP addresses from the router.

And honestly, it was not Sonos that screwed up your system, it merely exposed it. Consumer grade routers are terrible at preventing IP conflicts. A simple power failure causes them to start issuing from the same pool that was assigned before, with no accounting for the ones it previously assigned. Now the update comes along and reboots all the players. They request IP addresses, other devices are still in mid-lease and not needing a new IP, and havoc ensues. Most of the time you won't notice this, because browsing and checking email doesn't expose anything but a possibly slow to load page. But when you have a mesh network with many Sonos devices and controllers, all talking to each other trying to process a constant stream, it doesn't take long for a duplicate IP in the mix to cause a connection problem.

Best bet, reserve an IP for every Sonos device in the router setup. Each will get the same IP every time, even if the router is rebooted. No more conflicts for Sonos after that.
on the positive, it has been great for the last 3 1/2 years, so why all of a sudden now with this awesome V 7.0 release has it all gone to pot? Christmas? Forcing to buy new updates? I have 2 P5s, 3 P3s, a P1 and a Sound Bar and a Spotify Premium Account, and built this up as I say over 3 1/2 years.... now feels like a big mistake, not even got a CD and CD player to break the bloody silence - very disappointed 😕
No matter how fine you think a network may be, the fact is streaming will uncover issues that other activities may not see, because it requires a constant connection. These types of issues so soon after an update are almost always due to IP conflicts in your router being exposed by the Sonos reboots. You need to refresh the IP adresses in all your network devices. Reboot the following in order:

Modem
Router
Switches/Hubs
Wired Sonos players
Wireless Sonos players
Computers/Printers
All other devices - Phones, Tablets, etc.

Let each one come up before moving to the next. Note you can eliminate IP conflict problems by reserving IP by MAC address in your router setup. See your router manual for details.
Userlevel 2
Badge +3
Having experienced just the same sort of issues following the upgrade to 7, whereby there were intermittent drop outs, speakers going offline randomly etc etc, I powered absolutely EVERYTHING down including even the cats feeder bowl in an effort to flatten the system and flush every IP address away. Having now brought the whole house back on line I can honestly say it does appear to have done the trick and seemingly our Sonos is functioning properly again. There was one little plug-in wireless extender that I missed, and it appears that that may have been the culprit causing an odd IP to be replicated, but again, with that out of the loop all appears to be working as intended. Fingers crossed!
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Great your back working r3skt. You never know which device is he culprit until you shut it all down.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Network issue. I would start by turn off as many wireless devices as you can and Sonos and reboot router.
Maybe is not network issue, I've the similar issue as you can see here: https://en.community.sonos.com/troubleshooting-228999/spotify-plays-1-track-then-connection-to-spotify-lost-6762414
Thanks for the respons. My network is fine. It looks like that this happens when I open my macOS Sonos application. Initially I played from my iOS app but from the moment my computer was involved, it cuts off the tracks.
Thanks jgatie however I have done all of the above. I am not a notive when it comes to IT - it just seems that this new update has killed the songs / spotify system and after 5 years that is an issue. And there is no support to speak of. Thanks for your response though. Jon
10s of thousands have installed the update with no problems. The few posts here listing problems are not indicative of the update being to blame. I suggest you submit a diagnostic and contact support during the support hours, or post the diagnostic number here and Sonos reps will get to you during work hours.
Cheers, just done a diagnostic and the number is 6855647 - thanks jgatie, cheers, Jon
Updated Friday. Christmas party last night. Could only get 1 zone on sonos. Scared to touch it. Have spent hours today. It has to do with the link between Spotify and Sonos. Now can only do very limited music on diverse zones with non-Spotify source. It's NOT a network problem that I created if it is a "network problem". I travel during the week and have leisure time on the weekend. Do we need to take a day off to receive service? So frustrated right now.
I'll do the diagnostic too. That has helped with another issue I had very early on.
I'm having MASSIVE issues after the 7.0 update. I have a whole house setup of Play 1s and Play 5s and a couple Connects. It's been working great for years, but after the 7 upgrade it won't play a complete song from my Library, Apple Music, or Pandora. It just hung up and skips to the next one, over and over and over. I've rebooted my router, unplugged and replugged all of the Sonos equipment. Nothing is helping. All my other network functions are 100% fine. And it happened with the update.

Submitted Diagnostics - 6855971
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I know it may seem 7.0 is the issue but it is most likely some type network issue from the update and reboots.

I would try turning off all wifi devices in your system including Sonos and reboot router.
I'm having MASSIVE issues after the 7.0 update. I have a whole house setup of Play 1s and Play 5s and a couple Connects. It's been working great for years, but after the 7 upgrade it won't play a complete song from my Library, Apple Music, or Pandora. It just hung up and skips to the next one, over and over and over. I've rebooted my router, unplugged and replugged all of the Sonos equipment. Nothing is helping. All my other network functions are 100% fine. And it happened with the update.

Submitted Diagnostics - 6855971

Perform the network refresh I posted above in the exact order listed. Simply rebooting the router or Sonos devices will not solve the issue, and might even exacerbate it if the duplicates are on other network devices, because all the Sonos units are requesting new IPs causing the router to hand out more duplicates. This is why updates often expose duplicate IPs, because an update causes an IP request for every Sonos device. You must refresh everything on the network, then you can go into the router setup to reserve the addresses.
Okay that took a long time (I have a lot of devices on my network), but seems to have worked (although I'm still missing one of my Sonos speakers from the app). However, I thought the Sonos setup was using it's own network (SonosNet), so I'm not sure why my router would be handling out IPs (or why they'd be getting duped).

Thank you for the advice, but I'm super unhappy that a software upgrade required me to run around my whole house unplugging probably 25+ devices...
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Sonosnet uses your router for ip addresses.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Cheers, just done a diagnostic and the number is 6855647 - thanks jgatie, cheers, Jon

Hi Jon, I took a look at your diagnostic and there is a lot of wireless in the area which I'd suggest starting with. Is there something sitting nearby the Lounge speakers? That room and your stereo pair of PLAY:3s are getting the worst of it. You're on the edge of what I would usually suggest running off of your home wireless network. This depends on the strength of your Netgear router, but all of your players are running off of that wireless so it could cause some strain when they're all active.

Do you have trouble playing all audio sources or does it seem to be just the Spotify? Any rooms in particular that you're noticing this on?

It sounds like the others in this thread got their trouble sorted out already, but if you haven't we'd be happy to take a look. You can submit a diagnostic from your Sonos system and post your confirmation number here.
FYI: Today I decided to leave my macOS equipment as is and controlled my Sonos with my iOS iPhone 7 Plus (10.1.1 Rel. 148100 Dutch) ): NO PROBLEM. As I mentioned before, when my macOS MacBook Pro (10.11.6 El Capitan Dutch) is involved, although Sonos is managed by an iOS device, it cuts off the Spotify tracks, within the Sonos app. I've submitted a diagnostic from Sonos (6859274) yet.
Userlevel 1
Badge
I have had exactly the same issue as everyone else.
I have been running my System flawlessly for a years now and with the latest update i cab now only play 1 song at a time through Spotify as it says that the 'connection to Spotify was lost'
Spotify works just fine played not through Sonos and the fact that i can play 1 song means the everything still connects... sort of.

I have turned everything off and on again. Including the router.

I have added my diagnostics and plead for HELP!

Your confirmation number is: 6878689.
Badge
I'm experiencing the same connection issues with my wired Connect. My music (from Library and Phone) drops mid-song after one or two songs. I've tried rebooting modem, router, APs, computers, Connect, unmanaged switch, devices, phones, etc. to update IP addresses, but I still have the same issue. Prior to update, I had no connection problems whatsoever.

I ran a diagnostic: Your confirmation number is: 6900912.

Any help would be appreciated.

-P
Userlevel 6
Badge +3
Your confirmation number is: 6900912.

Hi Patrick, welcome to the community.

I've reviewed your diagnostic. The problem sounds like WiFi interference but like you said the Sonos CONNECT is wired to the network.
In this case, I'd like to focus on the wireless music source.

When playing Internet radio from TuneIn within the Sonos app is the music also dropping?
Badge
Hi Max- Unfortunately, yes. The music will drop when listening to TuneIn as well as my library (PC or Phone). I'm now playing with the wireless (Standard) set-up to see if that works. It seems slightly better, but I'm still experiencing drops with TuneIn.