Question

After updating to 7.0, Sonos does not play full Spotify tracks

• 10 December 2016
  • 33 replies

I updated my Sonos environment to the latest version, as well as the app on all my devices. From that moment Sonos cuts of all selected Spotify tracks.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

33 replies

Badge
Hi All- As I just posted in another thread, I'm back up and running now with my Sonos. I put the Sonos on the shelf for about a month. During that time, both Sonos and Eero pushed firmware updates. I'm not sure which one fixed my issues, but it now works flawlessly once again! I'm certain the issue was with the Eero and how it was connecting to my Sonos controllers and sources. I even switched out all the Eeros for my old router as a test and everything worked fine. I ended up just putting the Eeros back (mainly because they work great with everything else I have in my network) and just stopped using the Sonos completely. Today, I thought I'd just give it another shot and sure enough everything works perfectly. Fingers crossed for when they both push out another firmware update.....thanks to all for your help....
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Here you go Max:
Your confirmation number is: 6935319.
Still having the same problems whether or not I have a wired or wireless set up.
Thank you!

Hi Patrick,

It would be best to continue troubleshooting with our phone team. Please give us a call and reference case number: 170118-003474. You can find our phone number here.
Badge
Here you go Max:
Your confirmation number is: 6935319.
Still having the same problems whether or not I have a wired or wireless set up.
Thank you!
Userlevel 6
Badge +3
Hi Max- Unfortunately, yes. The music will drop when listening to TuneIn as well as my library (PC or Phone). I'm now playing with the wireless (Standard) set-up to see if that works. It seems slightly better, but I'm still experiencing drops with TuneIn.
Got it. Can you send us a diagnostic and reply with the confirmation number? Here's an article explaining how: How to Submit Diagnostic
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Interestingly it doesn't happen with tune in radio. Just when using Spotify either direct or through the sonos app.

Please submit a diagnostic report from your system then reply with the confirmation number.
Userlevel 2
Badge
Interestingly it doesn't happen with tune in radio. Just when using Spotify either direct or through the sonos app.
Userlevel 2
Badge
Definitely something going on. I have exactly the same issue as well. Year's of it being bullet proof streaming with Spotify then after the 7.0 update if I can play a full song I'm feeling lucky. Interestingly the chromecast plugged into the 5, works flawlessly so I'm using that more and more. Nothing changed on the network except for the firmware update.

There's definitely something iffy here with this update.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Tune in dropping is strange in that with your wired connection your going right from TuneIn though router to the connect wired. You should get great connection. I assume you have a broadband internet connection.
Badge
Hi Max- Unfortunately, yes. The music will drop when listening to TuneIn as well as my library (PC or Phone). I'm now playing with the wireless (Standard) set-up to see if that works. It seems slightly better, but I'm still experiencing drops with TuneIn.
Userlevel 6
Badge +3
Your confirmation number is: 6900912.

Hi Patrick, welcome to the community.

I've reviewed your diagnostic. The problem sounds like WiFi interference but like you said the Sonos CONNECT is wired to the network.
In this case, I'd like to focus on the wireless music source.

When playing Internet radio from TuneIn within the Sonos app is the music also dropping?
Badge
I'm experiencing the same connection issues with my wired Connect. My music (from Library and Phone) drops mid-song after one or two songs. I've tried rebooting modem, router, APs, computers, Connect, unmanaged switch, devices, phones, etc. to update IP addresses, but I still have the same issue. Prior to update, I had no connection problems whatsoever.

I ran a diagnostic: Your confirmation number is: 6900912.

Any help would be appreciated.

-P
Userlevel 1
Badge
I have had exactly the same issue as everyone else.
I have been running my System flawlessly for a years now and with the latest update i cab now only play 1 song at a time through Spotify as it says that the 'connection to Spotify was lost'
Spotify works just fine played not through Sonos and the fact that i can play 1 song means the everything still connects... sort of.

I have turned everything off and on again. Including the router.

I have added my diagnostics and plead for HELP!

Your confirmation number is: 6878689.
FYI: Today I decided to leave my macOS equipment as is and controlled my Sonos with my iOS iPhone 7 Plus (10.1.1 Rel. 148100 Dutch) ): NO PROBLEM. As I mentioned before, when my macOS MacBook Pro (10.11.6 El Capitan Dutch) is involved, although Sonos is managed by an iOS device, it cuts off the Spotify tracks, within the Sonos app. I've submitted a diagnostic from Sonos (6859274) yet.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Cheers, just done a diagnostic and the number is 6855647 - thanks jgatie, cheers, Jon

Hi Jon, I took a look at your diagnostic and there is a lot of wireless in the area which I'd suggest starting with. Is there something sitting nearby the Lounge speakers? That room and your stereo pair of PLAY:3s are getting the worst of it. You're on the edge of what I would usually suggest running off of your home wireless network. This depends on the strength of your Netgear router, but all of your players are running off of that wireless so it could cause some strain when they're all active.

Do you have trouble playing all audio sources or does it seem to be just the Spotify? Any rooms in particular that you're noticing this on?

It sounds like the others in this thread got their trouble sorted out already, but if you haven't we'd be happy to take a look. You can submit a diagnostic from your Sonos system and post your confirmation number here.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Great your back working r3skt. You never know which device is he culprit until you shut it all down.
Userlevel 2
Badge +3
Having experienced just the same sort of issues following the upgrade to 7, whereby there were intermittent drop outs, speakers going offline randomly etc etc, I powered absolutely EVERYTHING down including even the cats feeder bowl in an effort to flatten the system and flush every IP address away. Having now brought the whole house back on line I can honestly say it does appear to have done the trick and seemingly our Sonos is functioning properly again. There was one little plug-in wireless extender that I missed, and it appears that that may have been the culprit causing an odd IP to be replicated, but again, with that out of the loop all appears to be working as intended. Fingers crossed!
Sonos uses its own Layer 2 Data Link transmission protocol, but still uses Layer 3 Networking. Thus it is still using IP addresses from the router.

And honestly, it was not Sonos that screwed up your system, it merely exposed it. Consumer grade routers are terrible at preventing IP conflicts. A simple power failure causes them to start issuing from the same pool that was assigned before, with no accounting for the ones it previously assigned. Now the update comes along and reboots all the players. They request IP addresses, other devices are still in mid-lease and not needing a new IP, and havoc ensues. Most of the time you won't notice this, because browsing and checking email doesn't expose anything but a possibly slow to load page. But when you have a mesh network with many Sonos devices and controllers, all talking to each other trying to process a constant stream, it doesn't take long for a duplicate IP in the mix to cause a connection problem.

Best bet, reserve an IP for every Sonos device in the router setup. Each will get the same IP every time, even if the router is rebooted. No more conflicts for Sonos after that.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Sonosnet uses your router for ip addresses.
Okay that took a long time (I have a lot of devices on my network), but seems to have worked (although I'm still missing one of my Sonos speakers from the app). However, I thought the Sonos setup was using it's own network (SonosNet), so I'm not sure why my router would be handling out IPs (or why they'd be getting duped).

Thank you for the advice, but I'm super unhappy that a software upgrade required me to run around my whole house unplugging probably 25+ devices...
I'm having MASSIVE issues after the 7.0 update. I have a whole house setup of Play 1s and Play 5s and a couple Connects. It's been working great for years, but after the 7 upgrade it won't play a complete song from my Library, Apple Music, or Pandora. It just hung up and skips to the next one, over and over and over. I've rebooted my router, unplugged and replugged all of the Sonos equipment. Nothing is helping. All my other network functions are 100% fine. And it happened with the update.

Submitted Diagnostics - 6855971

Perform the network refresh I posted above in the exact order listed. Simply rebooting the router or Sonos devices will not solve the issue, and might even exacerbate it if the duplicates are on other network devices, because all the Sonos units are requesting new IPs causing the router to hand out more duplicates. This is why updates often expose duplicate IPs, because an update causes an IP request for every Sonos device. You must refresh everything on the network, then you can go into the router setup to reserve the addresses.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I know it may seem 7.0 is the issue but it is most likely some type network issue from the update and reboots.

I would try turning off all wifi devices in your system including Sonos and reboot router.
I'm having MASSIVE issues after the 7.0 update. I have a whole house setup of Play 1s and Play 5s and a couple Connects. It's been working great for years, but after the 7 upgrade it won't play a complete song from my Library, Apple Music, or Pandora. It just hung up and skips to the next one, over and over and over. I've rebooted my router, unplugged and replugged all of the Sonos equipment. Nothing is helping. All my other network functions are 100% fine. And it happened with the update.

Submitted Diagnostics - 6855971
I'll do the diagnostic too. That has helped with another issue I had very early on.
Updated Friday. Christmas party last night. Could only get 1 zone on sonos. Scared to touch it. Have spent hours today. It has to do with the link between Spotify and Sonos. Now can only do very limited music on diverse zones with non-Spotify source. It's NOT a network problem that I created if it is a "network problem". I travel during the week and have leisure time on the weekend. Do we need to take a day off to receive service? So frustrated right now.
Cheers, just done a diagnostic and the number is 6855647 - thanks jgatie, cheers, Jon