After S2 upgrade my Sonos system is extremely unstable, next steps?

Userlevel 1

I have five Sonos One/SL speakers, with two of them being in a stereo pair. I also have a Sonos Move. Since all of my devices are current generation products and I have an enterprise grade mesh WiFi network in my home (Unifi) I didn't think I would have any issues upgrading the system to S2. 90% of my listening is initiated with Alexa and is playing music from Spotify.

Unfortunately I have experienced continuous problems with all of my devices since doing this upgrade.

• Devices drop off network
  • L+R device will show a ? for one of the two speakers or only one of the two speakers will play.
  • Alexa mysteriously stops working on devices.
  • Can’t group devices for playback… one or more device won’t play at all even though the system sees it. Sometimes Sonos S2 app shows that a device is participating in group playback but also that the device is still available for another music session.

I have rebooted devices multiple times, restarted the app, unpaired and repaired services (Alexa, Spotify) etc.

If there was any way to go back to Sonos S1 I would do it at this point because my $1000+ worth of Sonos gear isn’t even usable at this point. My understanding is that this is not possible if I don’t have at least one device still running the S1 firmware, and I don’t.

Do I have any other options to resolve these issues other than waiting and hoping eventually Sonos releases working firmware and apps?

I was considering purchase of a new Sonos Arc for my bedroom but there is absolutely no way I can do that at this point considering how broken things are, and a friend of mine who was wowed with my Sonos gear when he saw it a month ago I steered him clear of making a purchase as things are now so unreliable.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

10 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

Hi @jmpage2.

Thank you for reaching out to Sonos Community.

Since your speakers and voice features are malfunctioning from time to time.

Can you submit a diagnostic report for us to see whats going on in your device?

If you need help with any other information, please be sure to let us know.

Userlevel 1

Diagnostic report 564404483 submitted. 

Have your issues been fixed? I’m having the same problem and would PAY to go back to S1 and be DONE with this awful S2 that clearly SONOS did not properly test.

Userlevel 1

No issues not fixed. I did try a network reconfiguration to see if that would impact things at all. I will know more on that one over the next few days. 

keep in mind that my problems began immediately after upgrade to S2 and nothing else in the environment changed. 

Userlevel 1

Any updates so far? Having exactly the same issues.

Userlevel 1

Sonos never provided any help but I was able to resolve the problem myself.

My Unifi Mesh was using 2.4ghz channels that were not compatible with the Sonos gear, but are compatible with my other equipment. 

Interestingly these channels were working fine with the older Sonos FW.

After locking all of my mesh 2.4ghz channels down to 1, 6, 11 (primary channels) the issues were resolved. This causes its own problems because I am in a dense suburban neighborhood and have lots of neighbors with their own (often badly configured) APs.

Would be great if Sonos could join 21st century and support 5ghz WiFi for music listening.

I have five Sonos One/SL speakers, with two of them being in a stereo pair. I also have a Sonos Move. Since all of my devices are current generation products and I have an enterprise grade mesh WiFi network in my home (Unifi) I didn't think I would have any issues upgrading the system to S2. 90% of my listening is initiated with Alexa and is playing music from Spotify.

Unfortunately I have experienced continuous problems with all of my devices since doing this upgrade.

• L+R device will show a ? for one of the two speakers or only one of the two speakers will play.
  • Can’t group devices for playback… one or more device won’t play at all even though the system sees it. Sometimes Sonos S2 app shows that a device is participating in group playback but also that the device is still available for another music session.

I have rebooted devices multiple times, restarted the app, unpaired and repaired services (Alexa, Spotify) etc.

If there was any way to go back to Sonos S1 I would do it at this point because my $1000+ worth of Sonos gear isn’t even usable at this point. My understanding is that this is not possible if I don’t have at least one device still running the S1 firmware, and I don’t.

Do I have any other options to resolve these issues other than waiting and hoping eventually Sonos releases working firmware and apps?

I was considering purchase of a new Sonos Arc for my bedroom but there is absolutely no way I can do that at this point considering how broken things are, and a friend of mine who was wowed with my Sonos gear when he saw it a month ago I steered him clear of making a purchase as things are now so unreliable.

I have many of the same problems

I have many of the same problems

I was once a very strong and vocal evangelist for sonos but am so frustrated by the instability that I’m quickly become a vocal detractor among my community and on social media. Sonos app quality is garbage and they have abandoned those of use who helped build their company with the original product line and now we can barely use the products. Today alone I spent three hours, yes three hours resetting and reinstalling all my Sonos equipment and the ONLY way the s1 products will work is when I unplug the s2 products. The product and development teams team should be fired.

I spent 10 hours today.  It is truly a garbage.  After working for two weeks, the two One SL in a sudden cannot connect to the Arc to form 5.1.  I cannot believe they build this garbage and sell at premium.

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

Hi @Enoch Wang.

Welcome, thank you for reaching out to Sonos Community, We appreciate your time and effort in posting your concern here in our community.

Is there any error message showing up when adding the One SL?

Both speakers can still run/play as a stereo mode?

I presume this is how you add surround speakers to a Sonos home theater?

Let us know if it works. If you need help with any other information, please be sure to let us know.