Address setting in Amazon Alexa App cannot be saved

Badge
I reached out to Amazon as to why I am unable to save my address in the setting (device location) and was told I have to talk to Sonos since it has something to do with their recent software rollout. Is anyone else having a similar issue not being able to save your local address so when you ask Alexa something like the weather it knows where you are locally?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

13 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20
In the Alexa App>Settings you will see two devices listed for each Sonos One, one for the Alexa component and one for the hardware. Can you try setting the device location on the other device via the PC app - https://alexa.amazon.co.uk or https://alexa.amazon.com

Please let us know how you get on.
This is very annoying to me also. I bought Sonos One in January anticipating functionality. Why sell it in Canada before you can use it? Finally Sonos rolled out voice support and I found it much more limited that I thought. So I could ask the weather, ask it to play music on Amazon, not Apple and ask it to stop, not even pause. Now when I ask the weather Alexa tells me she does not know where she is, tisane it in settings... I have now spent time finding the settings on iOS and desktop and still no luck. I have entered it several times and each time it rejects the save operation.
I have just bought two sonos ones. Alexa will not save the address, and it's difficult to remove and restore devices.

Why have I got four Sonos Ones in Alexa - but I only have two in Sonos ?
Why is the documentation so poor that I have spent 4 hours trawling the sonos and amazon FAQ's.
Why is it impossible to save my address in the device in Alexa.

I have found incompatibility issues with Alexa/Sonos/Ipad and iphone app.

Frankly this is immature tech and it will be going back to the retailer. It should be a seamless installation experience !!
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi

'Why have I got four Sonos Ones in Alexa - but I only have two in Sonos ?'

I explain why you have got this situation in Settings above, you'll notice that you only have 2 devices listed within Alexa App>Smart Home. This is so in the future there is the ability to have specific settings for either the Alexa or Sonos player component. Don't see why this is an issue?

'Why is it impossible to save my address in the device in Alexa.'

Please try using https://alexa.amazon.com, the Alexa App on mobile devices can sometimes have this issue.

'Frankly this is immature tech and it will be going back to the retailer.'

As the Alexa device location is an Amazon issue, you are intending to return your two Sonos One's because they have 2 sets of settings per device for a perfectible logical reason??????
I am having the same issue....Why are there 4 devices in my amazon alexa account when i only have 2 sonos?! it does not make sense at all and is very confusing.
Userlevel 2
Badge +6
I am having the same issue....Why are there 4 devices in my amazon alexa account when i only have 2 sonos?! it does not make sense at all and is very confusing.

The Alexa and Sonos hardware are listed separately because there are two different devices in each unit; A Sonos player and an Amazon Dot type device . It needs to be this way because each amazon device can and does work independent of each other and are registered to your amazon account.
Userlevel 2
Badge +6
If I recall correctly, when I set up Alexa on my Sonos one, it tied to my amazon account and populated the address based on what was on my amazon account. Have you tried looking there? Log in to amazon and see what’s going on with the address on account.
I am having same issue with address. I have multiple other sonos devices + multiple alexa devices + a sonos one to try and integrate systems.

Flash briefing wont work on sonos one. Pauses after initial weather and I need to hit play repeatedly in app to get to next flash briefing segment - ie news etc. I read in another thread that this was due to address in alexa device(s) being blank. I try and edit common address in all alexa sonos devices and can do so ok on the named sonons one device (ie master bedroom) and on its mirror device (ie: Davids Sonos One) but cannot edit on any other of my 3 sonos device in alexa - get 'cannot save setting' every time.

Further experimentation indicates this pausing in flash briefing only happens when I include a grouped device (grouped via sonos app) in the briefing playout which has an address error in alexa.
Any ideas from anyone on how to resolve this?
Userlevel 7
Badge +19
Hello everyone. Thanks for posting and keeping the conversation going. If you have already gone through the steps Edward R has gone over here, I'd recommend giving our support technicians a call to troubleshoot this in real time. Through the use of a remote session, our technicians will be able to walk through alexa.amazon.com and ensure that everything is set properly.

Thanks!
I'm also having the same issue. I have tried to save my Device Location (my home address) via the web https://alexa.amazon.com and the app again and again. I receive no error message. It just doesn't save my changes. Very annoying for something as routine as a form fill. Sonos please let us know you have this covered with a fix. I'm tired of hearing the weather for the next town over. 😠
In Sonos, Remove Alexa Voice Service from the device and add Alexa Voice Service back. This solve the issue for me.
Thank you gklaw. Though a colossal pain to undo and reconnect all the apps this worked. I wish Sonos would make this more idiot proof for, well, people like me. 🆒