Adding Sub ( g3 ) to Sonos Amp

• 8 November 2021
  • 15 replies

Hello,

I’ve recently obtained a Sonos Amp and a Sonos Sub for my TV film setup.

The issue I’ve encountered is the following :

• Setup of Sonos Amp works smoothly.
  • Adding Sonos Sub looks seemingly ok , returns the message at the end of the setup that Sonos Sub has been successfully added but that sometimes the device doesnt show up and a power cycle is required. Sonos sub isn’t visible.
  • After a powercycle of the Sonos Sub the Sub doesn’t show up.
  • Both setup via wireless or wired result in device not popping up within the Sonos S2 app on my iPhone.

Cable has been tested on other device to ensure cable is ok , cable is working perfectly on other devices.

Repeated the setup process quite a few time , everytime resulting in the device not showing up.

Verifying the network connectivity of all the Sonos devices on my router tells me the following :

• All existing Sonos S2 devices ( Sonos Amp ) and Sonos S1 devices mac addressess are shown on my router except the mac address of my Sonos Sub.

Furthermore i’ve performed the setup with only 1 wireless accesspoint to rule out the possibility of interference of having multiple wireless signals. This resulted in the same issue of the device not showing up.

Requesting further steps on how to proceed with this issue and connecting my Sonos Sub (G3) to my TV audio setup.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

15 replies

Can I just check that you have tried the following combination:

Amp connected by Ethernet 

Sub wireless

In the Amp settings, WiFi is enabled, not disabled.

Can I just check that you have tried the following combination:

Amp connected by Ethernet 

Sub wireless

In the Amp settings, WiFi is enabled, not disabled.

Thanks for these suggestions i will verify them immediatly.
Ill get back to you, after i’ve tested above steps.

John B,

I’ve performed the steps you’ve mentioned .

It resulted in the same status as previously , the Sonos Sub isnt showing up in the Sonos S2 app.

I’ve verified on my router and the mac address still isn’t showing up.

I do see this on my Sonos Amp ( via http://<ip>:1400/support/review ) :

running /usr/sbin/brctl showstp br0
br0
bridge id  8100.f0xxx
designated root 8000.002xxx
root port     1   path cost    30
max age    20.00   bridge max age     6.00
hello time     2.00   bridge hello time    1.00
forward delay    15.00   bridge forward delay    4.00
ageing time    60.00   gc interval     0.00
hello timer     0.00   tcn timer     0.00
topology change timer    0.00   gc timer     0.16
flags   

eth0 (1)
port id  8001   state   forwarding
designated root 8000.002xxx path cost    10
designated bridge 8000.bcxxx message age timer   18.91
designated port 8001   forward delay timer    0.00
designated cost   20   hold timer     0.00
flags   

ath0 (2) - tunnel to 54:xxx (remote STP state = forwarding, direct = 3)
port id  8002   state   forwarding
designated root 8000.002xxx path cost   150
designated bridge 8100.f0xxx message age timer    0.00
designated port 8002   forward delay timer    0.00
designated cost   30   hold timer     0.95
flags   

Looking at the MAC addy ( green ) that one differs only 1 digit , I’m assuming that thats my Sub.

(54:xxx)

Seems that the Amp did see something from the Sub.

Any ideas ?

Badge +17

Hey @Rikmuleet,

Before anything else, I must ask: how far apart are the Amp and Sub physically? The two products connect via 5GHz, which as you might know has a much shorter connection range than 2.4GHz and can be more susceptible to interruptions due to distance or obstacles.

Second, those two MAC addresses are from the same device. Each Sonos device has at least 2 MACs - one for the wireless card and the other for the wired NIC. These typically differ by 1 character. I’ve removed them from your post since they can technically be identifying information about your system and products.

I’d also like to see a diagnostic of your system, so go ahead and submit one and reply with the number so I can take a look.

I'm afraid that doesn't mean much to me. 

The most likely explanation looks increasingly like a faulty Sub. I think you should run a system diagnostic and then contact Sonos  Support with the confirmation number.

@James L.  beat me to it 

@James L. 

Physical distance between Sonos Amp and Sonos Sub 1 roughly 30 cm. ( 1ft )

Support number 1392893781

Thanks for the support.

Physical distance between Sonos Amp and Sonos Sub is 30 cm / 1 ft.

Support number = 1392893781.

Thanks in advance.

Badge +17

Thanks for that.

Apologies for the delay - it appears your first post got caught by the spam filter so I wasn’t notified.

It looks like your Amp is wired, but is not receiving a direct connection to your router. Could you check and let me know what your Amp is wired to via Ethernet? 

Thank you for the response.

The previous support number was from the moment i performed a debug step suggested by John B to hookup the Amp via wired ethernet. ( was connected to a HP 1910-8G-poe ). That didnt resolve the issue.

I redid the setup again with the no ethernet cable connected to either of them ( amp/sub ).

The support number 1345175370

I was really just checking that we weren’t in a situation of wired Amp with ‘WiFi Disabled’.

Badge +17

Thank you for the response.

The previous support number was from the moment i performed a debug step suggested by John B to hookup the Amp via wired ethernet. ( was connected to a HP 1910-8G-poe ). That didnt resolve the issue.

I redid the setup again with the no ethernet cable connected to either of them ( amp/sub ).

The support number 1345175370

Thanks. 

I don’t see any obvious issues with the Amp so I don’t believe it’s hardware related at all. I suggest getting in touch with our customer care team via phone so they can take a deeper look at how the system is set up. I suspect it’s something simple within the network, but I wouldn’t know unless I take a closer look at it (something not possible here on the community). Please let them know that I sent you there from this thread to hopefully expedite the troubleshooting, and of course let me know if you’re able to come to a resolution with them.

The Amp is working fine its the Sub thats having the issues , trying to add the sub doesnt work.

What did the customer care team that @James L.  asked you to get in contact with say?