Answered

Adding Move to S1 system froze S1 app

• 11 January 2021
  • 5 replies

Badge

Hi all.

I’m running an S1 system (i use a Sonos Connect to stream my turntable, and don’t really want to buy a $450 new component to do the same thing).  

My partner attempted to add a Sonos Move speaker to the system and now the S1 app is stuck in 
“Use Sonos S2 app” mode.

The options it gives me are “Download Sonos S2 app” which i obviously don’t want to do.

and “More options” which includes: “About My System” “Submit Support Diagnostics” “Reset App” and “Sonos Customer Care”

About My System shows all my speakers on S1 except the Move.

“Reset App” does… i dunno, just asks me to close and restart the app, but when i reopen i go back to the “Use Sonos S2 app” screen.

how do i get the Move on the S1 system, and/or how do i get my S1 app working?

no, i don’t want a split system.

the system still kinda works.  e.g. home theatre works when controlled by the TV.  and i can play music in rooms from Spotify.  but i can’t control anything from the sonos app.

edit: it just now occurs to me i could try factory resetting the move to at least get it off the system and start over…  dunno if that will work or if some state saved in the system will prevent that from getting me back to a working S1 system.

icon

Best answer by Ericwhatever 12 January 2021, 20:28

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Badge

i discovered when the Move still has S2 on it, and it’s been added you get stuck in “Use Sonos S2 app” mode.  When the Move speaker is turned off, the app works like normal but the device say’s it’s unnamed.  I forgot my S1 Sonos Connect was unplugged and not in their network.  Once i plugged it back in, sonos offered to downgrade my Move to S1 and all works now.

WHY sonos could not figure this out on its own is a mystery since the S2 devices seems to always be there even if  not turned on.

A Support Chat person mentioned there is an ios 14.2 bug which doesn’t allow the app to use wifi accessory setup and that’s perhaps why the “go to accessory setup” button does nothing.

as other threads have said, you can go to ios Settings > wifi > and setup the sonos device (that gets it on your wifi).  but it doesn’t work in ios 14.2.x.  I did that on my mac book using… Airport Utility :tired_face: .

so…

with 5GHz wifi turned off, the Move connected to wifi via a non ios 14.2 phone or macbook or android phone, AND another S1 device connected to the sonos network, you can get the Move downgraded to S1 and working.

Badge

5Ghz wifi is the problem, for me, with the accessory setup button not working.  I believe that is trying to take you to an ios wifi accessory setup (apple homekit) page.  you can find that in ios settings.  That allows you to setup the move as a homekit device, but did not for me, set it up with my other sonos devices.  

Anyway, after i turned off my 5GHz wifi (AC) the setup doesn’t even ask for accessory setup (due to the above) and gets further, but then just puts me back in “Use Sonos S2 app” mode.

This is rage inducing.  I guess i get to factory reset, again, and try something else.

Badge

i tried the “solutions” here: 

but nothing has worked yet.  

Badge

Ok. Factory reset the move and now i got my app back. Start adding the move again. After it takes like 120 seconds to find the thing… twice. It gets to the “wireless setup” screen but the “go to accessory setup” button does nothing. It flashes, but doesn’t do anything. Going “back” just starts over including finding the device nearby twice. 

Badge

hmmm. i can only edit the post once. fun.

here is another thread which i fear is basically my problem:

it details how to possibly handle a situation that i might be in.  but i’m just not sure what happened to my system, so i’m not positive it will work.  i also don’t know why the S2 device would have to be hardwired to my router when factory reset the first time?  but whatever, i’ll give it a try.