Adding a Connect:Amp to an S1 system, fail

• 20 January 2021
  • 4 replies

I’m trying to add a second hand Connect:Amp to my S1 system to replace a ZP100 with failed power supply.  The remaining Zone Bridge and ZP100 is working fine.

I use IoS app v.11.2.4. 

When selecting ‘add product’ , the app say the that it must be updated.  (I believe I’m running the latest version of the S1 app, 11.2.4.)  The app will not update, and I get error 1101.  if I opt not to update, I can not add a product.

The ZP100 runs version 11.1 and so does the ZoneBridge

I have rebooted all the sonos products. The network is running fine.  I am a network engineer and run my own enterprise FW.  There is no traffic from the Sonos system that is blocked in the firewall.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

So, I can think of a few possibilities.

1. this particular device was already updated to S2. In all cases of ‘new to you’ equipment, it is recommended that you do a factory reset of the device, and then add it to your current system.
  2. it might have an old enough version of the software that it can no longer be automatically updated to the current version. If that’s a possibility, a simple call Sonos Support directly to discuss it should be able to resolve it, they would generate a specific update file for you online, and send you a link that would update the specific device. They may need a system diagnostic before you call in, potentially. Not sure, but it might be easier to run one before you call, rather than trying to do it while talking to them. 
  3. it is always possible that this device has failed. So a call is probably worth the time.

As an aside, I’m no longer a fan of the BRIDGE, there have been too many reports of random issues, mostly, in my opinion, stemming from failing, but not yet dead power supplies. The fluctuations in power coming in to the device can sometimes cause all sorts of apparent random issues, including yours, honestly. I would be very tempted to retire the BRIDGE and replace it with a BOOST, and at the very least, pull it out temporarily by wiring a cable directly to a current Sonos device, and powering the BRIDGE down completely. Then try adding this ‘new’ CONNECT:AMP to your system. 

Thanks for replying.

All the time the new device has not yet been added to the system, it should not affect the upgrade of the app.  Even with the new device unplugged, the result is the same.

It is also strange that the app required an upgrade to add a device when, I believe, I have the last version.

According tho the PO, it runs S1

Edit:  I should also mention that I have network connection to the devices 

Edit2:  Ping works also over a routed connection from a different subnet. And playing music from Spotify on the existing ZP100 works fine

Thanks

So, possibility 1. and the unnumbered 4 are out. The other two remain potentially valid. 

for information:

i contacted the local Sonos support which was very helpful to resolve my issue.  I had to use  a link to access the local units, and remove an update URL.  After that the update worked again, and I was able to add the new-to-me unit

the link was http://ipofplayer:1400/removestring  or http://<unit-ip-address>:1400/removestring  where everything between <> is replaced with the ip address of each unit.

Then use a command (and I can’t remember it exactly now) i think was: “removeupdateurl”  to clear a setting on the zone players.  sorry, but I closed the chat so I can’t see the command any longer.

Just have to add that the local Sonos support was AWESOME