Answered

‘Add Boost’ doesnt show on App

• 11 September 2022
  • 13 replies

Hi,  we have had Sonia speakers for many years.  We have moved to a larger house and looking to add 3 of Boosts in the house. 

I have an iPhone 13 running ios15 which is fully up to date.  The Sonos app is also up to date. 

when I go into the app there is no option to ‘add boost’.  Anyone have any ideas as to how I resolve this please? 

many thanks 

icon

Best answer by ratty 11 September 2022, 09:18

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

13 replies

You just ‘add a device’. The BOOST doesn’t have a speaker, however, so it doesn’t show up in your main ‘play’ screen, but does show up in ‘about my Sonos’. 

Thanks Airgetlam.  I’ve tried to ‘add a device’ however the app says it’s searching but never finds the boost…. So I never get beyond this point.  

the boost is connected directly to the router.   White light initially on it which then goes green. 

but if you go into ‘about sonos’ it never appears in here either 

Wire a Sonos player, as well as the Boost you're trying to add. 

Hi.  First, why do you think you need three Boosts?

Do you have a simple network with just a router, or do you  have a mesh, access points etc?

Have you previously run your system with a wired device, so as to use SonosNet?

I suspect the answer is going to be to power off the Boost, and wire one of your existing Sonos devices.  Give it a couple of minutes and check that all your Sonos devices have WM=0 next to them (except for Roam and Move).  If any don’t, power them off and on again.

Next, wire the Boost to your router, leaving the device that is already wired, wired.  Power on the Boost.

In the app, select ‘Add product’ and follow the prompts.

When the Boost is set up, remove the cable from the other device.

FWIW if the intention is to plonk the Boosts down at intermediate locations, in the hope they'll act as wireless relays, my guess is that some or all of them could well be ignored.

SonosNet tries to minimise the number of wireless hops. 

Thanks for your help gents it’s much appreciated. 

I’ve bought 3 of the boosts as the house is across 3 floors and spans over 5,000 sq ft. 

we do have an existing mesh system with Linksys - hence when I look at all the existing players they all say either WM 1 or WM 2.  Are they okay saying this or should they be saying WM 0 as suggested? 

Interestingly the Sonos boost is plugged directly into the unbiquity router and of I go onto the app for the router it can see the Sonos boost… Tells me it’s plugged into port 3 and is communicating with it… so clearly it’s down to the Sonos app side of things 

Interestingly the Sonos boost is plugged directly into the unbiquity router and of I go onto the app for the router it can see the Sonos boost… Tells me it’s plugged into port 3 and is communicating with it… so clearly it’s down to the Sonos app side of things 

Your conclusion is completely false, in my view, but as it is so clear to you there isn’t much point arguing.

John I wasn’t trying to be funny with you.  I was just explaining what I could see at my end as I didn’t know if what I was seeing would make any difference to anyones opinion.  Didn’t intend to offend you in any way. 

I wouldn’t be on here if I knew what I was doing or had the answers 

Is the Linksys mesh in bridge mode? If not then the Boost on the router will be on a different subnet from the rest of the system. 

I’ll take a look.  Thanks Ratty

John I wasn’t trying to be funny with you.  I was just explaining what I could see at my end as I didn’t know if what I was seeing would make any difference to anyones opinion.  Didn’t intend to offend you in any way. 

I wouldn’t be on here if I knew what I was doing or had the answers 

Sorry, my prickly response was unjustified.  I apologise unreservedly.

It would also be helpful to know if WiFi is switched on on the Ubiquiti router. 

we do have an existing mesh system with Linksys - hence when I look at all the existing players they all say either WM 1 or WM 2.  Are they okay saying this or should they be saying WM 0 as suggested? 

A bit more detail.

WM:1/WM:2 means the system’s in WiFi (“wireless”) mode, i.e. without any wired components. If a wired Boost had been added correctly everything should switch to WM:0. 

Mesh WiFis usually contain a router in the primary node. Devices on the mesh get their IP addresses from the primary. They also can’t see any devices connected directly to the main internet router (and vice versa); these are different IP subnets.

Disabling the mesh’s router function puts it into ‘bridge’ or ‘access point’ mode. There’s then a single flat subnet throughout. All devices on the WiFi will need to be rebooted/reconnected so as to get an IP address from the main router, which is now the boss.

For Sonos’ purposes, an alternative to putting the mesh into bridge mode is to wire to the mesh primary node, not to the main router. Also the main router’s WiFi (if any) should be disabled. 

Don’t wire Sonos to satellite mesh nodes; only to the primary.