Answered

Access Is Denied When Trying to Play TuneIn Station

• 2 September 2021
  • 21 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge

I’m getting this error “Unable to play ‘BBC Radio 5 live sports extra’ - access is denied. Via TuneIn.

This worked on Saturday. It doesn’t work today 😞 The better half wants to listen to the cricket). Currently I’m streaming via the BBC app to the phone via Chromecast in the back of a Play 5. 

Troubleshooting I’ve done. Other BBC radio stations work via TuneIn - for example BBC Radio 1, 2, 5 Live. But not 5 Live Extra.

I’ve tried via Sonos radio. I can find BBC radio channels such as 1, 2, 5 Live but not 5 live Extra.

I’m sure there will be some long complicated story about Sonos, TuneIn, BBC Sounds support on other platforms etc etc. It’s just stuff used to work yet it seems to be getting worse and I wanted to vent after a heavy investment in a Playbar, Play 5, 2x Play 1. Sonos support on the phone tried to tell me BBC radio not supported on Sonos Radio. Well how can I get some stations? And then Tune In worked a few days back. Sonos also mentioned I could do this via Apple Airplay but we’re an Android house.

If anyone can help or comment that would be appreciated.

icon

Best answer by Al P 2 September 2021, 12:24

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

21 replies

Userlevel 1

I am encountering the same problem!

myTuner Radio is working - try adding that as a musinc service

Userlevel 1

Same here :-(

good call on MyTuner, works fine :-)

Getting the same message on my iPhone app and on the desktop but works fine from Alexa???

I'm having same issue . Accessing via android device through tuning. Other bbc channels are working. 

So am I, other bbc channels working and so is spotify

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

Hi everyone, thanks for raising this with the Sonos Community! 

I’ve been able to replicate this on my side, and have reported this to the relevant team - in the mean time as mentioned by andyplowman, you can use MyTuner as an alternative,

We saw some similar issues with the BBC regarding coverage of the Olympics, and it’s possible that there’s a similar situation in place here.

Hope this helps :)

[Edit - as mentioned below by UKMedia, it seems that the station is currently unavailable through TuneIn as a whole.]

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

I’m getting this error “Unable to play ‘BBC Radio 5 live sports extra’ - access is denied. Via TuneIn.

This worked on Saturday. It doesn’t work today 😞 The better half wants to listen to the cricket). Currently I’m streaming via the BBC app to the phone via Chromecast in the back of a Play 5. 

Troubleshooting I’ve done. Other BBC radio stations work via TuneIn - for example BBC Radio 1, 2, 5 Live. But not 5 Live Extra.

I’ve tried via Sonos radio. I can find BBC radio channels such as 1, 2, 5 Live but not 5 live Extra.

I’m sure there will be some long complicated story about Sonos, TuneIn, BBC Sounds support on other platforms etc etc. It’s just stuff used to work yet it seems to be getting worse and I wanted to vent after a heavy investment in a Playbar, Play 5, 2x Play 1. Sonos support on the phone tried to tell me BBC radio not supported on Sonos Radio. Well how can I get some stations? And then Tune In worked a few days back. Sonos also mentioned I could do this via Apple Airplay but we’re an Android house.

I know it's easy to blame Sonos for all issues with content from other organisations, that are outside of the control of Sonos but have you thought of asking the question of the content provider?

If you try to ask directly from TuneIn, this is the message:

https://tunein.com/radio/BBC-Radio-5-live-sports-extra-s50459/

It's more than a little difficult for Sonos to stream something that the content provider is saying is unavailable! 🤔

Userlevel 2
Badge

Thanks for the advice on myTuner great work around.

@UKMedia not sure I was blaming Sonos. Thanks for your reply.

Same issue here. Radio5llive extra worked earlier now getting the "unable to play" message! On occasion getting a broadcast message saying much the same thing.

myTuner Radio through Sonos app does work tho!

What is My Tuner?  How do I bypass the Radio 5 Live Sports Extra denied access error?

Userlevel 1
Badge

What is My Tuner?  How do I bypass the Radio 5 Live Sports Extra denied access error?

Services and Voice, Music and Content, add a service and pick MyTuner (or Radioplayer). Once added 5live sports extra is back 😉

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

Go to settings : services & voice : Add a service 

Then find “myTuner Radio” in that list and add it

Found this :- https://www.mirror.co.uk/tech/bbc-pulls-live-radio-services-18926206

And I have installed Radio Player which plays 5 Live Sports Extra via Sonosok.

https://www.radioplayer.co.uk/node/2

Userlevel 2
Badge

Found this :- https://www.mirror.co.uk/tech/bbc-pulls-live-radio-services-18926206

And I have installed Radio Player which plays 5 Live Sports Extra via Sonosok.

https://www.radioplayer.co.uk/node/2

Yeh I found that whilst I was Googling this issue. It’s an old story from 2019. Doesn’t explain why some BBC channels are available on Sonos via TuneIn and some aren’t. That said if you go on the TuneIn website it doesn’t show any BBC Radio stations available. So it’s all a bit confusing.

I have this problem (and found out for the same reason: the cricket).

I had found myTuner mentioned elsewhere: I see there is mention of it on this thread as having sorted the problem. However, I have not been able to find 5extra on myTuner. Other BBC stations, including 5 and 4xtra, but not 5 extra. Can someone who has managed this confirm and advise how they accessed 5 extra ?

Userlevel 2
Badge

I have this problem (and found out for the same reason: the cricket).

I had found myTuner mentioned elsewhere: I see there is mention of it on this thread as having sorted the problem. However, I have not been able to find 5extra on myTuner. Other BBC stations, including 5 and 4xtra, but not 5 extra. Can someone who has managed this confirm and advise how they accessed 5 extra ?

I found it just by searching on the app. It does state the channel is UK only...

I’m in the same position and find it shocking we can’t get online radio when shelling out so much for the equipment - so poor and makes me want to leave Sonos.

Thank you!! found the My Tuner service and works - much appreciated

I too am getting Unable to play “BBC Radio 5 live sports extra” - access is denied. I have even tried a VPN.

Anyone know why?

Reverting to BBC sound son phone now :-(

Thanks for the work around, looks like it's an issue with the bbc or tune in. 

Weirdly I could get radio 4 LW yesterday but not today through tune in.

Badge

Hi, can anyone give some advice on this pro

Services and Voice, Music and Content, add a service and pick MyTuner (or Radioplayer). Once added 5live sports extra is back 😉

I’m sure this will work with the Sonos 2 system, but I’ve got a Sonos 1. The app version is 10.6.2.

When I try Settings/Services/Add Voice or Add Music & Content it says “incompatible software version…...”

Other stations seem to work fine.

Thanks for you help

Martin